Android Auto - Not working Samsung S8+

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
Hi all,

Collected my new Seat Leon Cupra 300 DSG and I love it!!

I can't however get Android Auto to open in the car. My work iPhone works fine and Apple Car Play works but my Samsung S8+ doesn't want to know...
I have tried both ports, several USB type C Cables and I am running the latest Android OS.

I believe I have checked all the relevant settings in my phone. All the phone seems to do is charge.

Any ideas??

Many Thanks!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Apple Fanboy here
Android

Android drives me to distraction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got both - iPhone X as a work phone and currently a OnePlus 3T as a personal phone.

Each platform has qualities and flaws, but I think Android Auto is less distracting than Car Play.
And the navigation... Don't even get me started ;)
...Apple knows it too, since they threw the towel and we are going to get 3rd party navigation in Car Play this year ;)

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
Android Auto and Mirrorlink are different things - did you install the Android Auto apk?
Thanks. I did try the link, but it does not recognize it being plugged in to configure.

I have the Android Auto APK from the Play Store Yes.

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
Start android auto on the phone first, before plugging to car, and give it all the permissions.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried that already as well. I have tried starting the app before the car is on, before the ignition, etc etc.

My phone charges but nothing else. Its very baffling.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
I also have galaxy S8 plus,

I installed Android Auto on phone first, connected via usb (to the first port on left) selected mirror link on main menu, then in the next screen, selected android auto, this started and then asked me on my phone to unlock and give various permissions, after this it started on the media screen fine.

works quite well

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
I also have galaxy S8 plus,

I installed Android Auto on phone first, connected via usb (to the first port on left) selected mirror link on main menu, then in the next screen, selected android auto, this started and then asked me on my phone to unlock and give various permissions, after this it started on the media screen fine.

works quite well

Wish it was that easy for me!!

I have enabled developer options and stuff on my phone. May try and factory restore it and see what happens.

Thanks.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
have you tried doing this via bluetooth first.

i.e, set the car to bluetooth and then open android auto and play some music that way?
if that works, then close the app (via the app button and swipe right to close the app) then connect to the car usb and then try again
I assume you have also restarted your phone?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
What happens when you plug in? Any notifications or noises? I had some issues at first with mine:

If you've already paired the phone via Bluetooth then delete this before trying auto, it will create its own pairing during setup.

In auto settings allow any car to create a link.

If detected and option to choose mirror or auto then choose auto by touching the phone name (it took me a while to work that one out).

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
As mentioned before in the thread, Mirrorlink is completely different from Android Auto - if you followed guides to enable Mirrorlink on the Samsung, that might be one of the reasons it does not connect.
Try to disable on the phone anything related to Mirrorlink, since it is not needed to get Android Auto working.
Also, as mentioned before, if you have already paired the phone with the car you should delete the profile on the car and all the pairings and then start over.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
I would uninstall AA and redo bluetooth connection. Then install AA, plug in car and go thru instructions on phone and car.

On wifes S8 there was an allow popup that didnt show up as it was behind the AA screen which was to allow data usage.

She did say first time she used AA in Leon it wouldnt work as she hadnt allowed data.

Alternatively u can go to app permissions and allow all from there before plugging phone in.

Android fan boy here for the record as i like to customise!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maypack

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
Well..

I have tried all the above, I have factory reset my phone and still nothing.

I have tried another Android Phone and it works, so I am completely baffled!!

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Hmmm...baffling indeed.

I assume your not running a custom ROM or rooted?

Have seen that this can cause issues with AA.

Have u had look on the Google forums for AA.

If ur based around Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire borders I could take a look

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cuprawill290

Jun 28, 2018
Northumberland
Have you checked permissions on your phone. Settings, apps, Android auto, permissions to check they are all ticked as I have a s8+ and a couple were not selected automatically and it wouldn't work

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.