Cupra 300 Resonator Delete

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
Can someone who may have already done this, advise if there is any difference to the sound when changing from comfort/sport/cupra mode on the Cupra 300.
I suspect because you are taking out the resonator, this will just be loud all the time?

Can anyone confirm this as I'm interested but don't want to wake the neighbours every morning if it is constantly loud.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Can someone who may have already done this, advise if there is any difference to the sound when changing from comfort/sport/cupra mode on the Cupra 300.
I suspect because you are taking out the resonator, this will just be loud all the time?

Can anyone confirm this as I'm interested but don't want to wake the neighbours every morning if it is constantly loud.
Even in stock format the exhaust is the exact same sound regardless the of driving mode, the extra noise your hearing is fed into the cabin via the soundaktor system!

With the de-res in place it will be considerably louder on cold starts! Another option is to simply use a smaller resonator, little bit more noise but still acceptable to neighbours! Or if your feeling flush, a fully valved system would be the best of both worlds!

Reactions: Pedrocks

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Had my resonator delete fitted this morning. Cost me £40 (plus £150 for the actual VAGSport resonator delete pipe) and half an hour on the ramps.

I seriously cannot believe the difference it makes to the exhaust note..!!

It is noticeably louder on startup (especially when cold), and it’s WAY louder when you put your foot down. But (and it’s quite a big but), it’s hardly noticeable when you’re just driving ‘normally’. The exhaust note sounds a little throatier (good!), but not so much that it drones. I barely notice any difference inside the car with the windows up. To me it’s the perfect combination - loud when you want it to be and almost as quiet as stock when you need it to be.

For reference, my car is a 2018MY Cupra 300 SC DSG.

I did originally think that the garage had knackered my auto hold... Turns out they’d just knocked the auto stop/start switch when they got out..!

I’ve attached a boring video just to give an indication of how it sounds when it’s idling. This is *almost* a cold start...

https://imgur.com/a/22zByIV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFJames

Aug 16, 2018
Has anyone had the Vagsport resonator delete fitted to a 300 manual?

If so, video would be great.

Sam

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
I have the VAGsport res del fitted to a 300 ST DSG 4drive. Two things; I hardly hear any difference at all. At cold start there is a little bit more noise for like 30 seconds, and maaaaybe a little bit more DSG farts. But I don't mind, I like a comfy car. Maybe it is because the ST has the two mufflers at the end. And I don't think it is so reversible as people here said - the exhaust clamp included is to fit the res del, it won't fit the resonator itself.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
I have the VAGsport res del fitted to a 300 ST DSG 4drive. Two things; I hardly hear any difference at all. At cold start there is a little bit more noise for like 30 seconds, and maaaaybe a little bit more DSG farts. But I don't mind, I like a comfy car. Maybe it is because the ST has the two mufflers at the end. And I don't think it is so reversible as people here said - the exhaust clamp included is to fit the res del, it won't fit the resonator itself.

I noticed much more of a difference on my SC. Perhaps it’s because the ST has 2 additional mufflers, as you say. The difference is most noticeable when the engine is cold, and when you put your foot down. When I’m driving ‘normally’ all I hear is a little more ‘growl’ which I like.

I don’t know what clamp you got with yours, but the clamp I had with mine slides over the ‘cut’ end of the original exhaust and over the res delete. I can’t see why it wouldn’t slide over the original resonator pipe when it’s put back on as it’s the same diameter, but that’s a bridge I’ll cross in 3 years time if/when I hand the car back!

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
I don’t know what clamp you got with yours, but the clamp I had with mine slides over the ‘cut’ end of the original exhaust and over the res delete. I can’t see why it wouldn’t slide over the original resonator pipe when it’s put back on as it’s the same diameter, but that’s a bridge I’ll cross in 3 years time if/when I hand the car back!

The clamp is a little bit bigger diameter (for the res del) to a little bit smaller (for the OEM exhaust). When gonna re-fit the resonator it will need a clamp with equal size in both ends I think.

Reactions: Tully1980

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
The clamp is a little bit bigger diameter (for the res del) to a little bit smaller (for the OEM exhaust). When gonna re-fit the resonator it will need a clamp with equal size in both ends I think.

Ah ok, thanks for the info

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I had the delete done on my 5dr 290 DSG last week and it's brilliant. There isn't much of a difference between modes on a cold start up(i.e in the morning when your neighbors are sleeping), the car is definitely louder when starting than stock and mine even pops sometimes which it never did before. There is a noticeable difference between comfort and Cupra mode though at idle once its warmed up. Cupra mode make the car idle faster so the exhaust becomes noticeably louder.

When you are driving there is also a difference in sound. In comfort mode with the gearbox in D, you'd genuinely struggle to notice any exhaust work was done at all. Only when you drive it hard in D mode, you start to get the exhaust note into the cabin and my car now "farts" in D mode when shifting which my car didn't do often when stock. When its in Cupra mode its a completely different car, the car revs harder and longer which gives a great sound but not annoying in the cabin with the windows closed, the DSG farts are much louder, they are a proper "crack" noise now instead of the "fart" the DSG is famous for. The biggest difference I feel though is the backfire when you are coasting off the throttle.

My car NEVER did the pops and bangs when coasting back down through the revs. This seems to vary from car to car though as I test drove a different stock 290 from a dealer before I bought my own and it did pop and bang. There's a thread here on the forum where multiple people state their car does backfire and others not. Seems to be pot luck. Now, in Cupra mode, my car backfires constantly which I absolutely love, its the main reason I wanted to get the delete done and I'm delighted with it. But put the car back into Comfort and this stops and the car goes back to being quiet again.

At motorway speeds of 120kmh, there is almost no drone in the cabin, again you'd hardly notice anything was done, the radio basically covers any trace of exhaust noise. Up around 140kmh it does start to get a bit noisier and you will have to turn the radio up a small bit more to drown it out. Nothing I couldn't comfortably live with for years and I like my cars loud anyway so quietness is not my goal with the car. I am 25 though so your milage may vary with age:bleh:

I will try and make a small video comparing modes on my car and show what it sounds like now. I have no "stock" video for comparison though so I cant show the difference from before. As a side note, I don't have the VAGSport kit, I just got a local exhaust company to make up the delete for me from 70mm SS that then mandrel bent on site. It cost €125 fitted. Video of the cold start up is below.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST3 to Cupra300

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Does anyone know if this will void your warranty with the exhaust? I am still waiting to hear back from my dealer if it’s okay to modify the car as it is on finance but I am going to buy it at the end (at the moment anyway) and if I don’t is the resonator delete actually reversible?

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Does anyone know if this will void your warranty with the exhaust? I am still waiting to hear back from my dealer if it’s okay to modify the car as it is on finance but I am going to buy it at the end (at the moment anyway) and if I don’t is the resonator delete actually reversible?

The resonator delete is easily reversible if you buy one which clamps at either end (such as the VAGsport one which I have). As for warranty, I couldn’t tell you as different dealers tend to say different things about it. I’m going on the basis that my warranty should be ok so long as any issues that I have aren’t with the exhaust itself. If I have an issue with the exhaust, then I’d expect to have to pay for it even if it would have been covered by the warranty before the res delete was put on.

I’m planning on buying my Cupra once the lease ends (3 years away yet!), and the res delete is a very minor modification so I’m not really that fussed.

Reactions: cupra300uk

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
The resonator delete is easily reversible if you buy one which clamps at either end (such as the VAGsport one which I have). As for warranty, I couldn’t tell you as different dealers tend to say different things about it. I’m going on the basis that my warranty should be ok so long as any issues that I have aren’t with the exhaust itself. If I have an issue with the exhaust, then I’d expect to have to pay for it even if it would have been covered by the warranty before the res delete was put on.

I’m planning on buying my Cupra once the lease ends (3 years away yet!), and the res delete is a very minor modification so I’m not really that fussed.

I’m in the same boat as you then did you buy the VAGsport one online? I was thinking if I’m going to change something with the exhaust I should change the tail pipes to quad tips as well, but again not sure if this is reversible or whether they would be happy with it at the end should I decide to hand it back.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
I’m in the same boat as you then did you buy the VAGsport one online? I was thinking if I’m going to change something with the exhaust I should change the tail pipes to quad tips as well, but again not sure if this is reversible or whether they would be happy with it at the end should I decide to hand it back.

Yep, got it online from Progressive Parts

ST3 to Cupra300

Feb 16, 2018
Any of you guys with the res delete from the Manchester area? I’d like to experience it first hand before getting mine done if possible. Thanks in advance.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Any of you guys with the res delete from the Manchester area? I’d like to experience it first hand before getting mine done if possible. Thanks in advance.

Sorry mate I’m a bit far down (Worcester area)..

Rob G

Apr 13, 2018
Has anyone in the Northampton area (i'm in Rushden) had this done? Looking at a mid silencer delete on my 280, but wanting to hear full res delete for comparison in person (the videos make them sound a bit loud for my liking!)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Yes it will void the exhaust warranty. If the engine/turbo was to go pop they would also say that you have modified something that has potentially caused the engine to go pop as the exhaust is directly connected to the engine.

Their argument would be its changed stuff outside factory tolerances.

Unless you can prove it hasn't they would have you bent over a desk.

It's the risk you run.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.