Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
You can't do it yourself with an mib1 unit though......
If available a lot more cost than a bit of searching through this forum for v1030 and do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
I think I've had a stroke of luck. My brother just bought (picked up today) a 2014 audi a3 with sat nav. Would i be able to just use his sd card and copy the files onto mine. If so whats the most full proof way of doing this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I think I've had a stroke of luck. My brother just bought (picked up today) a 2014 audi a3 with sat nav. Would i be able to just use his sd card and copy the files onto mine. If so whats the most full proof way of doing this

I’m pretty sure the answer is no, ideally you need to find someone with the identical card and version that you originally had. Can I ask why your backup of the original data will not restore?

Tell

Staff member
From memory and there will be mib1 people around here. Some people bought eBay upgrade cards and they worked for manual further updates, then stopped working like they ran out of three years Mapcare or something. Others bought eBay cards and they never worked.

I'm not too sure whether if you don't have a working system you can upgrade it. All I can suggest is you go back three years and read the thread which is more about mib1. People have given up DIY upgrades in Mib1, you might however find something of somebody restoring their system or someone will pop up with a mib1.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
From memory and there will be mib1 people around here. Some people bought eBay upgrade cards and they worked for manual further updates, then stopped working like they ran out of three years Mapcare or something. Others bought eBay cards and they never worked.

I'm not too sure whether if you don't have a working system you can upgrade it. All I can suggest is you go back three years and read the thread which is more about mib1. People have given up DIY upgrades in Mib1, you might however find something of somebody restoring their system or someone will pop up with a mib1.
Took the car to the garage yesterday they basically told me nothing they can do other than sell me an sd card for 165 quid. So I said im not doing that as i laughed in their face.
So my other options are hope someone can let me copy their sd card for their mib1 system and hope that works (i dont know)
Try copying my brothers audi sat nav system as his is the same year of car.doubt that will work
Go to a breakers yard hope they have a mk3 leon and buy the sd csrd out of the car.
Any other options?

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Id pay the £165 and put it down to experience mate, you aren't going to get any of the others to work and in reality - it is entirely your fault :(

Reactions: exmgman

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
£165, what a rip-off. BTW you didn’t answer my previous question, why doesn’t the back-up of your old card work?

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Took the car to the garage yesterday they basically told me nothing they can do other than sell me an sd card for 165 quid. So I said im not doing that as i laughed in their face.
So my other options are hope someone can let me copy their sd card for their mib1 system and hope that works (i dont know)
Try copying my brothers audi sat nav system as his is the same year of car.doubt that will work
Go to a breakers yard hope they have a mk3 leon and buy the sd csrd out of the car.
Any other options?

Surely the version & part number are on your original card, could you see if there any on eBay that match your original, would that work?

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
£165, what a rip-off. BTW you didn’t answer my previous question, why doesn’t the back-up of your old card work?
Sorry i missed that. Not really sure tbh. I copied all the files off but when i put it back on and in thr car wont even detect any navigation data like the new stuff it does so must be missing hidden files.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
Surely the version & part number are on your original card, could you see if there any on eBay that match your original, would that work?
Hopefully that would work. Or get a seat in a breakers yard and using their cwrd or copying someone's aslong as they're not locked to the individual cars

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Sorry i missed that. Not really sure tbh. I copied all the files off but when i put it back on and in thr car wont even detect any navigation data like the new stuff it does so must be missing hidden files.

Unlikely, as even formatting the SD card will not remove the hidden files that are stored on the SEAT SD card Are you using MAC or Windows PC?

Tell

Staff member
I don't know whether the hidden part could get corrupted or the head unit unregister itself. I don't know how Mib1 works. We know how Mib2 works.

We do know that people get back mib1 from a back up. Perhaps there was something wrong with the back or the registration has been affected. We're still waiting for Mib1 experts :). The early days of this thread were all Mib1. I still think it's a good idea to wade through that if you don't want to fork out the money.

Reactions: Jim45

Tell

Staff member
I'm not too sure with Mib1 that it doesn't update the hidden bit when you update the maps and put ut back in so no Mapcare means its messed up. A copy isn't a full backup. A full back up including the hidden part isn't required for mib2. Just a normal backup. That's what I think went on unless there were Mac garbage on the backup.

cuprawill290

Jun 28, 2018
Northumberland
i have i think a MIB2, hardware is h30 and software is 0351 nav database is 6p0919866h.
using link and how to in post 1005 i am planning on updating this weekend. my question is will carista app clear any fault that is brought up or do i need obdeleven to to this?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
i have i think a MIB2, hardware is h30 and software is 0351 nav database is 6p0919866h.
using link and how to in post 1005 i am planning on updating this weekend. my question is will carista app clear any fault that is brought up or do i need obdeleven to to this?

I upgraded my MIB as per post 1005 and still get the same fault. OBDeleven clears the fault but it returns. No issues with operation of the Sat Nav or MIB unit though.

Last edited:

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I upgraded my MIB as per post 1005 and still get the same fault. OBDeleven clears the fault but it returns. No issues with operation if the Sat Nav it MIB unit though.

Same result for me

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members