Gearbox required.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
HI all..... As my gearbox failed on the M6 yesterday, I'm wondering if anyone has the name(s) of any reliable supplier with a half decent warranty.
My car is a 2004 Toledo20vt and I'm assuming that one off a Leon Cupra 180 is exactly the same.
Cheers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well, after ringing 3 different Seat Dealers, I'm still without a part number, only a generic number covering all the 6 speed gearboxes.
According the the potential supplier of a second hand gearbox, there were 2 or 3 different ones fitted to my particular car.
Looks like it might be going to the scrappier.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
O2m box is what you want. Can find it in any golf Octavia Leon and A3. You can put a cupra r box in aswell because it's exactly the same box. You will find many about very cheap. Don't go to a dealer again with a MK1....they looked at me stupid in Peterborough and I highly recommend never going there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
O2m box is what you want. Can find it in any golf Octavia Leon and A3. You can put a cupra r box in aswell because it's exactly the same box. You will find many about very cheap. Don't go to a dealer again with a MK1....they looked at me stupid in Peterborough and I highly recommend never going there.

I was given Part number 02M300046 CX by 3 Seat main dealers yesterday.
The place selling gearboxes......£300 delivered with 3 month warranty....said that's just a generic number which covers all VW 6 speed manual gearboxes, with different gear ratios.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I was given Part number 02M300046 CX by 3 Seat main dealers yesterday.
The place selling gearboxes......£300 delivered with 3 month warranty....said that's just a generic number which covers all VW 6 speed manual gearboxes, with different gear ratios.

O2m came with the vr6 and tdi you want the 1.8t o2m box. Seller should know if it was from a vr or TDI but I don't think they do. I tbh wouldn't trust them if they don't know how to sell you the right box. 1.8t boxes are so old now all seller's that do it for a living should know. If not, move on.
Me and my mate went out the other day and picked one up for a gt tdi and works fine...£120 paid but he has a golf so I don't like to talk about it have a look about for a cupra being broken..many about and you could find a good deal, failing that I'll give you scrap price on your Toledo what's that now a days...£100...fix it mate, get involved with the swap and you may really enjoy it.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I've been told the actual code on the gearbox needs to start with FML or EFR....

You have a 1.8t 20v with a six speed box yes? Look on eBay and find a breaker and get a box that way...better still just give it to a garage to fix.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Yep.....and the garage is doing it but I'm supplying the box......garage only supplies recons......£800 !!
Been told the number is on a white sticker under spare wheel.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yep.....and the garage is doing it but I'm supplying the box......garage only supplies recons......£800 !!
Been told the number is on a white sticker under spare wheel.

Get on eBay and have a look for breaking cupra...what area are you in? May have a member around your way that can help with local garages.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Do they say that gearbox oil never needs changing ?
110,000 with fully documented S/H.
I've had it since 80,000 and never changed it.......so there's no record of it ever having been changed.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Do they say that gearbox oil never needs changing ?

They do say that.

Neither the service manual nor the Haynes (Mk4) state anything about changing it. It is a higher grade oil in a sealed environment and not subject to the ravages that engine oil has to contend with.

Only when you know you've crunched the gears a few times with lazy changes that I might consider changing it.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
The box was working perfectly during a 60 mile round trip on M6.
Last mile or so back, I tried to put it in neutral.....just stalled the engine.Will go into 1,2,3,4,6 but just stalls engine when letting clutch out. Only drive is in 5th.
Garage.....whom I trust 100%......said there was an internal fault as the levers under the bonnet ARE moving relative to the gear stick.
I drive it with great mehanical sympathy by the way.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Gearbox oil can be and ideally be replaced, had mine done a few years back after the car had done 80,000 miles and was 9 years old. SEAT used to say it was for the life time of the car/ gearbox, but these cars last longer than they expect. When mine was done it made the gear change smoother.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.