Let's talk MPG / consumption

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
So, I previously had the MK3 Octavia VRS, which had a similar engine to the Cupra (yes, yes... I know, smaller turbo...) and of course, manual and not AWD.
When I got the Cupra, I thought it was really thirsty up until today...

In every route I previously took it around town, the consumption figures were way higher than the Skoda, but now on similar roads and long term driving at similar speeds in Norway, I got almost the exact same:

Cupra:
Z2RX7ws.jpg

Octavia:
e2NeMjT.jpg

What gives? Anyone got similar experiences?

Try to convert it to MPG, but around town I don't see anywhere near these figures - the difference in city consumption is about 2l/100km more on the Seat.
OK, yes, I also drive the Seat more spirited, but still...

Anyway, today's values, driving like a granny on the very harsh, policed (and expensive...) Norwegian limits, are the lowest I have seen so far with this car and surprised they were even possible.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
I'm getting 41-42mpg on regular daily 70mile commute (motorway) sticking it to 70mph

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
My car is a Cupra 290 DSG. I do a motorway drive from Cork to Dublin in Ireland every few weeks. Its a 257KM trip and I usually sit at cruise control at 130kmh for about 230KM of the spin. There's a small bit of backroad driving off the motorway to my house but I average around 32MPG on this spin each time. I'm pretty happy with those figures, the 1.4tsi Leon FR I had previously only did about 42MPG on the same spin so for an extra 165BHP I'll happily take a 10MPG "Fun Tax". My average long term economy is much lower at around 25MPG though as I drive her hard in between the cross country spins :D

Reactions: Jaco2k

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Yeah, all the figures I usually see driving at normal motorway speeds or around town are waaaaay higher - not too bothered, since I was not looking for economy, but they were higher than I expected.
I think the DSG + AWD are to be blamed, since they add weight.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Never believe what you read on the display. The only way to check real consumption is brim to brim and, even then, you will need several brimmings to get something that you can treat as 99% accurate.

Reactions: Jaco2k and Walone

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Wow that's exceeding the manufacuturers mpg claims, I think theirs is around 40 mpg for combined..perhaps running RON 95. One Cupra driver once got 53mpg average haha, but I think since start, not for a tank. But yes, do a mpg from filling up tank till click, then when you fill again, compare litres filled (or used) to the on board computer. Some Seats (according to forums) have optimisitc mpg computer (5-7%). When I did this comparison on my Seat Ibiza, computer showed 47.0mpg (since refuel) and after doing the above exercise, real world mpg was 46.7 mpg. To me this is close enough, car is 1.5 years old with 9k on clock. Not sure if longer you use the car (of if you keep switching RONS) would it get less accurate over time, I don't know.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I might get over 40mpg if my journey consists of going down a hill and that's it :thumbup:

In general terms I will get between 25 and 28mpg to a tank. Mainly driving to and from work, 4 miles each way however my journey home does entail going up the big hill from Dover docks so that doesn't help but its quite good fun. I also take a slightly longer route home on dual carriageways to avoid the speed humps near my house. The odd trip to Canterbury area to see family, dual carriageways and about 15 miles each way.

I don't think my mpg is too bad based on the miles I do and my slightly heavy right footed driving style.

I saw an advert on Autotrader from a Seat main dealer for a 290DSG saying that the buyer should expect an mpg of around 58mpg on a long run :roflmao: I hope that is an error because if they honestly believe that then they should consider a different job.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members