Exhaust heat shield?

Denzil

May 2, 2008
South Wales
Hi guys

I've had a new exhaust fitted, and now I'm hearing noises like a blown exhaust.

Does the leon MK1 TDI FR have a exhaust or cat heat shield that may have come loose?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Hi guys

I've had a new exhaust fitted, and now I'm hearing noises like a blown exhaust.

Does the leon MK1 TDI FR have a exhaust or cat heat shield that may have come loose?
On the 1.8t they have some aluminium shielding above attached to the underbody of the car, cat has a bit of shielding too. Pop your head under it and have a normal non joking about person rev it. Rev it slowly and increase untill you hear what is going on. I think Once the aluminium panels come loose it will be obvious it is that as the noise will be kinda high pitch rattle compered to an exhaust leak blowing sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Could the cat be deteriorating and rattling, which then resonates along the exhaust?

Certainly could or the backbox or flexijoin... Same thing as Andrew recommends, or do a smoke test but pushing it through from the end of the exhaust. If you don't have a dedicated smoker tester then you could take a smouldering stick (or smoke pill) put it a little into the end of the exhaust and blow through to push the smoke back through the system. It will ideally need 2 people, one controlling the smoke flow and one to check around for smoke escaping.

Tip: Personally I would not recommend you blow directly into the end of the exhaust, a passer-by might have strange thoughts :) Bicycle pump will do.

Reactions: Denzil
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.