Cupra 300 ST stolen this morning

Cheeseater

Dec 17, 2017
Hi all,

This morning at 4am some dirty thieving b******s melted the lock on my front door, grabbed the keys to the cupra and had it away in seconds. The dogs woke us up barking but we have a stair gate they couldn’t get downstairs, which in hindsight I’m happy about as they would probably have got a blow torch to the face.

Police were here in less than 10 minutes, and we’re waiting for the soccos to turn up.

The annoying thing is the car was only three months old, I don’t think I want it back as now they know where it lives and I expect they might try again.

One thing the police said might have slowed them down are sash jammers, they cost pennies and are a physical barrier that they have to force their way though, so if you don’t have them, for the sake of a tenner I’d certainly recommend having them installed. Oh, and snapsafe locks too, after they melted the door they apparently snapped to lock. A better barrel wouldn’t have let them. £40 is all they cost.

Gary

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Mate that’s s@&t. Gutted for you. Some horrible thriving scrotes around unfortunately.

Food for thought about the locking mechanism though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigivo1

May 21, 2016
Mine got pinched a few months after I got it. I feel for you, it's horrible isn't it.

We've since had sash jammers put on all the the doors and windows downstairs and also had locks put on the internal doors. Also had security lights installed around the house too. Touch wood no one's been back and it was 18 months ago.

If you can make your property less attractive to the thieves they'll probably walk on by.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Gutted for you buddy!

You're right about the dogs though, cars can be replaced.

You'll have to let us know what happens. You got a courtesy car on your insurance whilst things get sorted out?

Cheers

Cheeseater

Dec 17, 2017
No courtesy car unfortunately, had it been an accident I would have, but with a total loss claim, nope. Luckily I’ll be able to work from home until I can get something sorted.

As to the lock, then the locksmith arrives I’m gonna insist on one of those avocet locks, even if I have to pay the difference. From what I’ve seen they are only £40 or so so won’t break the bank.

Reactions: b8er1234

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Be worth grabbing an extra key or 2 with it also as extra ones afterwards cost about £20 each.

When I bought the lock direct from avocet an extra key was £5 when buying with the lock unsure if that would be the case buying through locksmith though

Deleted member 103408

Hope your family are not frightened now, did the police say if they thought they were pros or just kids.

At least you had the dogs to provide some protection and I am very glad for you and them that they did not get involved.

Cars / Property can be replaced, people and animals cant.

Our thoughts are with you.

Reactions: Rob66 and xyz

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I've always wondered, cars with GPS in them, is there not some way of tracking them? When they connect to GPS for maps do they not leave some trace somewhere that you can find them with?

I'm toying with getting some WiFi cameras up just to deter folks...there has been a robbery before on my estate and I've seen dodgy kids before on bikes in the early hours.

Even if it was all covered under warranty I'd be absolutely gutted too, hopefully you get it all sorted soon and the :censored: get their comeuppance.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry to hear about this. Something that has crossed my mind a few times is buying a cheap Android phone and hiding it in the car.

u can track the phone as Google has a find my phone function. Not sure whether this works just thru GPS or would need a mobile connection though.

Had the same thing happen to me several years ago when i had a RS Clio. I know the feeling

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Worth considering the door handle as well as an anti snap euro cylinder.

Most handles are easy to deform which gives easy access to the cylinder. Something like a Mila ProSecure PAS 24 handle just adds an extra level. Obviously nothing is impenetrable but it may make the place look less attractive to thieves.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
In will be possible Zedlor, anything with a connection can be traced, it's more a case of the police won't have the power or permission to track his car. They won't even have the capability but it absolutely could be done.

Cheeseater, I won't post what I hope has happened to the scum behind this, but Id love for you to get 10minutes a long in a room with the t**t that did it.
All the best and hope it's resolved soon

Last edited by a moderator:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Glad all are ok. Small consolation but them getting in and out without harming you directly is the best that could happen in the circumstances. If the keys were beside the bed or hidden things could have been much worse. Hope all is resolved soon.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Just for clarity, GPS is a one way technology. You need some form of data connection to get the positional information out of the vehicle to know where it is.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
That’s terrible mate - it’s not just the fact they’ve taken the car but that they’ve been in your house. Keys for my car sit on my bedside table - if they want them, they’re quite welcome to try and take them.........as long as they’re prepared to take the consequences - my house, my rules.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
Sorry to hear about this. My Leon was stolen this time last year, and I’m just thankful that the keys were downstairs so the buggers didn’t come upstairs where I was asleep. Insurance were very quick to sort me out, only had to deal with SEAT and their terrible lead times for new vehicles after that!

Getting broken into is never a good experience, and it’ll take a while before you feel truly safe in your own home again. Taking steps like getting new locks, alarms, CCTV perhaps, are all steps in the right direction. I’ve had no trouble since the cameras went up - they seem to be a good deterrent.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
For anyone else, I’d strongly recommend a Disklok - they’ll not have that off in seconds. Autowatch Ghost too - £300ish but worth it.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
That’s terrible mate - it’s not just the fact they’ve taken the car but that they’ve been in your house. Keys for my car sit on my bedside table - if they want them, they’re quite welcome to try and take them.........as long as they’re prepared to take the consequences - my house, my rules.........

You’re braver than me. Mine stay at the bottom of the stairs so they can pick them up and piss off again without coming upstairs near me or my wife.

Never used to do that until I read story about some poor bloke that was killed trying to stop some drain on society stealing his S3 from his driveway.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83 and xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
You’re braver than me. Mine stay at the bottom of the stairs so they can pick them up and piss off again without coming upstairs near me or my wife.

Never used to do that until I read story about some poor bloke that was killed trying to stop some drain on society stealing his S3 from his driveway.

Yes - terrible - they ran him over after getting his keys. But 14 years in the Forces means they won’t be having my keys........

Reactions: Rob66 and Damo H

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Glad your family is ok and a car however special it is, in the end can be replaced.

Hope the thieves can’t handle the power and hurt themselves a lot in the process.

Reactions: xyz
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members