Wind noise around doors.

sparrie2k

Jul 15, 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, picked up a MY15 1.4 FR (5 door) 2 weeks ago and seem to have a lot of wind noise which sounds like it's coming from the back of the drivers door. I think it's definitely wind since it's happened both at higher speeds, and when pootling along on a blustery day.

Have seen a few posts relating to the SC and door seals in another post (sorry can't post the link but thread title is Wind Noise on new Seat Leon and the answer is on page 3) but wondered whether anyone had experienced the same thing more recently, or on a 5 door? I've seen a bit of soaking on the furry seals at the top of the door, which appears to line up with the location of the roof rack locators but wanted to get some advise before visiting a dealers.

On that note - anyoen got any recommendations of dealers to see / avoid for service in the NE? Used Arnold Clarke on the 2nd hand cars, and bought from Petch (who I understand I should avoid like the plague for servicing) but what about Western? Unfortunately Teesside is probablty a bit far away!

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Based on my dealings with Arnold Clark at Newcastle I would avoid them, they are a bunch of rouges!

I have found Western to be very good, bought the last two cars from them and their service department is very helpfull.

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
Arnold Clark and Western seem to be our options for the north east/Northumberland. Didn't buy mine from them but have contacted both regarding a spare pace saver wheel and they were clueless as each other. However I did test drive the FR at Western and the service and info was decent

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
Arnold Clark and Western seem to be our options for the north east/Northumberland. Didn't buy mine from them but have contacted both regarding a spare pace saver wheel and they were clueless as each other. However I did test drive the FR at Western and the service and info was decent

Pulman SEAT at Sunderland are also an option...but my experience when test driving a Cupra a few months back put me off using them for anything.

JBB

Mar 5, 2014
Cornwall
A little tip for wind noise.
Bend the top of the door frame inwards: (1) open the door, firstly ensuring the window is fully wound down into the door cavity so you don't break the glass (2) stand facing the interior of the door and place knee in the middle of the door card just below the bottom of the window frame (3) place both hands on the very top of the door frame (4) pull inwards towards you using firm but not excessive force.
Another one is to move the striker plate on the door a mil or two so when the door is closed it should be tighter against the rubber.
As for the furry seals on top of the door I would say that they are there to cut down on the wind noise but could be wrong.

Last edited:

michelemazz1965

Nov 11, 2014
I also have slight wind noise coming in at top corner of door frame, but I'm also a little worried about takingmy cupra in to any garage.

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Likewise. Not rattles yet after 1000 miles but I have noticed annoying wind noise coming from the top rear corner of the door.

Didn't think I'd escape every little niggle....

As for "bending" the door back; seriously?????? Sounds a little extreme.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Likewise. Not rattles yet after 1000 miles but I have noticed annoying wind noise coming from the top rear corner of the door.

Didn't think I'd escape every little niggle....

As for "bending" the door back; seriously?????? Sounds a little extreme.

I thought that too, glad I don't have any probs with my car.

JBB

Mar 5, 2014
Cornwall
Bending the door back, yes it does sound extreme but it only moves the top of the door a few mm. Which could be just enough to stop the wind noise, this is an old trick of the trade.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Bending the door back, yes it does sound extreme but it only moves the top of the door a few mm. Which could be just enough to stop the wind noise, this is an old trick of the trade.

WARNING:
Not to be attempted if you have big guns :lol:

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Bumping an old thread........

To those the suggested moving the striker plate a mm or two. What do you mean? Move it up or down, left or right?

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
If you take it to a SEAT dealer, they will 'adjust' the door as described above.. I wouldn't touch the striker plate if I were you

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.