Getting a Mk3 in the air

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No, not going over jumps!

Lifting every other car I've had in order to service it has been easy. They've all had central jacking points so you can throw the end of he car up in the air and put axle stands under the sills. Not so the Leon!

The only approved jacking points are on the sills. So, if you want to get the front of the car onto axle stands, how can you do it when the only jacking points are the places you need to put the axle stands!

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
When I jack mine up I push the trolley jack about a 1/4 - 1/3 the way back under the car to a sort of solid knuckle. I use this. It's ever, ever so slightly off centre but doesn't cause any concern when jacking... More than stable enough to get front in the air to place axle stands..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thanks. My concern is that suspension location points etc are not always strong enough to support the weight of the car without deforming. Jack it in the wrong place and your car is royally fecked so it's not something I'm prepared to guess on.

You've used this point often then?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I didn't think this location had anything to do with the suspension. Not really paid any attention to be honest.

I have used it on every service to get car in the air....

When I get home later, about 4:30pm, traffic pending lol, I'll try and talk a pick of where I raise the car from, if you'd like?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That would be good, thank you. I looked for a picture of the underside of the Mk3, so that you could just label it, but I don't see one.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Ok, my bad I thought it was a knuckle of some sort.

But i place my car jack pad covering this circle...

dd57ef0b3931cba83da9f2f7120cce8a.jpg
5abbdb293ac1a9dfc8b608ffdebf19a8.jpg

My jacking plate is quite wide so it completely covers this. And I jack it up from there.

Not had any issues at all.. Central and stable enough to get axle stands under....

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thanks. That the heck is that??

Just had a look under the car and right behind the sill jacking points there are small plastic covers held on with just one screw. Interesting. What are they hiding I wonder...

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ok, my bad I thought it was a knuckle of some sort.

But i place my car jack pad covering this circle...

dd57ef0b3931cba83da9f2f7120cce8a.jpg
5abbdb293ac1a9dfc8b608ffdebf19a8.jpg

My jacking plate is quite wide so it completely covers this. And I jack it up from there.

Not had any issues at all.. Central and stable enough to get axle stands under....
That’s the lower engine mount.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I called the dealer and spoke to a guy in the service department. I wanted to see if they can source the kit you see in the video. He couldn't find it but what he did say is that they use the jacking tower you see in the video! They remove the plastic cover, jack the car then put the plastic back on. A bit of a faff but at least we know were we can safely jack the car, the four points seen on the video.

I don't fancy pulling the plastic cover off and on though so I'm going to see if I can come up with a cheap alternative. I'm thinking cut a hole in the plastic and make an adapter for the jack that locates in the hole.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Oh well, I didn't know these were there.. Silently hidden.. Little buggers.

64d8ec5c7adf6a120c271cfd52af6671.jpg

If there is one on either side of the car I'll use them. I have two trolley Jack's. Now to figure out how to make two trolley Jack's work in unison..

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Be interesting to know where tyre shops Jack them from if it's as hidden a secret as this thread suggests. Not had any tyres replaced yet but due shortly so we shall see.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I called the dealer and spoke to a guy in the service department. I wanted to see if they can source the kit you see in the video. He couldn't find it but what he did say is that they use the jacking tower you see in the video! They remove the plastic cover, jack the car then put the plastic back on. A bit of a faff but at least we know were we can safely jack the car, the four points seen on the video.

I don't fancy pulling the plastic cover off and on though so I'm going to see if I can come up with a cheap alternative. I'm thinking cut a hole in the plastic and make an adapter for the jack that locates in the hole.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281938327511

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That eBay link is the correct kit. It's perfect. Gives you four nice jacking points. I can buy that kit from Germany but I can't find the kit for sale in the UK. There is another kit, with slightly different adapters, but it cost hundreds for some reason.

What I'd like to know is why Seat don't tell you about these jacking points. There has to be a story there, any ideas? Maybe some legal issue?

Tyre fitters are a liability, I've seen cars damaged by them on several occasions. They typically just throw the jack under a suspension mount or some other part they think looks strong enough. On my car I watch them and insist they use the sill jacking points, I suggest you do the same. Also, do not let them use the gun on the wheel-nuts. Re-torque them yourself when you get home.

Luke1999

Aug 2, 2018
Hi did using the jacking tower work fine i need to get the front of mine up on stands tomorrow and dont want the jack to slip of at any point also can you do it with out the kit seen in the video cheers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members