What's this hanging from my car?

jumpingjuice

Jul 17, 2018
Hello all. I wondered whether anyone could tell me what this plastic tube hanging down from the rear driver side part of my MK3 Leon and where it goes/how to put it back where it should be.

It's a small plastic tube that is hanging straight down, just touching the ground right near the driver side rear wheel. It seems pretty loose and goes through a hole right above it.

Thanks!

Images below.

ShAXzsa.jpg

vAo4ytD.jpg

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Looks like maybe the fuel overflow from the filler neck. Definitely shouldn't be hanging that low a diagram of the fuel filler neck may help here there are websites that have them. I'll try and be find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jumpingjuice

jumpingjuice

Jul 17, 2018
Ah thanks that's worth checking then. The car doesn't have a sun roof so I don't think it will be a sunroof drain unless they put it in anyway? It's a right hand drive car, and the tube is located at the rear right, if that helps anything.

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Doubt they would put the drain in without the roof. What is your car normal SC or ST? And which year?

jumpingjuice

Jul 17, 2018
Yeah I think you are right about it being something to do with the fuel filler overflow/breather pipe. It kind of looks like what this image calls the water drainage pipe (7) maybe?

fKoKdOS.jpg

Reactions: LeighPing1

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Whatever it is, I very much doubt it should sit that low.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
I doubt modern emission standards would allow tank venting to the atmosphere. It's probably a water drain.

It has to vent into the atmosphere otherwise a vacuum would form in the tank as it emptied. I suspect as others have said that it’s the breather pipe, I think it should attach to the filler neck surround.

jumpingjuice

Jul 17, 2018
So it was indeed the "Water drainage pipe" that goes from the fuel tank lid unit around and down through the wheel housing and then clips/slots into the hole near the wheel (where it is coming through in the original photo). It had become detached from the hole in the fuel tank housing and so was dangling down pretty much freely!

To fix it I had to take out the fuel flap housing (one bolt and some prying around the edges and pressing with a screwdriver where the four clips are) where I had access to the hose/pipe. I pulled the hose up and out and fed it back through the drainage hole in the flap and then back down through the wheel housing and eventually got it back into position and into its fixing.

Hopefully it won't come loose again! I'm kind of surprised that it didn't just fall out on the road somewhere without me ever noticing as it wasn't attached to anything.

Thanks everybody for all your help - couldn't have figured it out without you :)

Photo of the detached hose after taking out the fuel flap housing (poking up on the left):
hy6ijs1.jpg

Reactions: Lctr

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Yeah I think you are right about it being something to do with the fuel filler overflow/breather pipe. It kind of looks like what this image calls the water drainage pipe (7) maybe?

fKoKdOS.jpg
Where did you get this page from? There is a part that fell onto my air filter housing from the bonnet catch area and I'd like to see if it shows up on a similar page.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Each time I go to fuel up there is a big intake of air when I open the fuel filler, so there's at least a low vacuum in the tank.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.