Hard Braking in Leon Cupra 300

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Can someone clear this up for me...

I’ve heard that under hard braking the Hazard Warning Lights will automatically flash. Is this true? Is it standard across all Cupra’s, or is it something that can be coded on under OBDeleven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
It’s true... mine did it the other day. Lots of servo assistance from the brakes too. I stopped like I’d hit a wall

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Can someone clear this up for me...

I’ve heard that under hard braking the Hazard Warning Lights will automatically flash. Is this true? Is it standard across all Cupra’s, or is it something that can be coded on under OBDeleven?

My lonely old 1.2 TSI does this. In fact under hard breaking the brake lights flash and then once stopped my hazards come on....

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You used to have to code this in, I turned it on, on my Cupra 280. Never seen a Cupra do it even on track, but the other day when I was spanking a Porsche at Silverstone seen a 911 do it.

I also tested it out on the Porsche in the car park, got upto 70 then stepped on the ceramic brakes. hazards flashed until you pulled away again.

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I can also confirm, i learned about this feature the hard way..
2bdf358877d8ce49070b98584ec9b64e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Cant even handle looking at that mate... so sorry, would loose it if some pulled out on me and cause that
It happened late last year... My son was with me at the time so was just relieved that everyone was able to walk away.

The Leon was solid in the collision and it's been fixed up and has been back on the road since December 2017 as good as new.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Glad to gear everyone was alright mate... but still, somthing so stupid, just look where your going you know. Would kill me

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Cheers guys.

Yeah his was written off, strangely enough no airbags went off in the Merc. 3 airbags went off in the Leon.

I wasn't speeding either, not sure what he was playing at. He just decided to turn at the last moment. Nothing I could do. I hit the breaks hard and turned to my son and said "brace yourself".

But, yeah the hazards came on immediately. Very impressed with how safe the Leon felt. Car did well as it was wet and he wasn't far off going into to the driver side door.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Is the hazard light coming on a newer addition to the Leon as I have a 65 plate and my hazards don't come on when I brake hard...?
I guess my brake lights flash but I wouldn't know.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Sad picture, suprised air bag deployment didnt write yours off?
It was extremely close. Estimate was 11k worth of damage inc airbags.

With the age and mileage of car at the time of the accident, it came in just under the insurance company's threshold for write-off.

I was essentially given the choice.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Is the hazard light coming on a newer addition to the Leon as I have a 65 plate and my hazards don't come on when I brake hard...?

Couldn't say mate, didn't realize they came on until that happened.

I have also applied the breaks quite hard before without them coming on.

Let's hope that they never have to come on automatically again...

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018

It’s only happened to me once. Lights went red and I hit the brakes, probably harder than I needed too and the servos kicked in, seat belt tightened and lights came on as I stopped sharply.

I have definitely braked harder at times but never with that sort of pressure in that split second, the computers quickly decide you are doing an emergency stop and assist accordingly.

Pretty sure that an airbag deployment would make the hazards come on too

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.