2.0 TDI 184 DSG excessive oil comsumption

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Hello all,

I have the above car which is a 65 plate with 45000miles on the clock. In the past it has drank through oil where I had to top it up at just over 10,000 mile mark since previous service but this time its crazy, it's been 8000 miles since it's last service and I had the "Check Oil Level" light come on, so I checked it and it was about 2mm off the bottom of the guide on the dip stick so I have put about 500ml of oil in for now.

Yes I do drive it spiritedly occasionally but surely that wouldn't cause it to go through all of its oil in 8000 miles.....!

What do you guys think, could there be something wrong? I'd quite like to hear from some other 184 drivers....?

Thanks in advance,

Zaco95

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Mine uses almost nothing between 10K oil changes.

I don't think you've anything to worry about. Some engines use oil, some don't. Just keep an eye on it and top up when necessary.

Manufacturers only consider it excessive if its using something like 1l per 800 miles.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
A few weeks before my last service I was welcomed to the check oil light aswell. Oil level on the dipstick was on minimum and a full litre carton put it back to maximum. Everything is bone dry no leaks and it drives like it did when I got it when it was a few months old.

It did worry me aswell at the time.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Mine uses almost nothing between 10K oil changes.

I don't think you've anything to worry about. Some engines use oil, some don't. Just keep an eye on it and top up when necessary.

Manufacturers only consider it excessive if its using something like 1l per 800 miles.

Considering yours uses little oil, whats you driving style?

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
A few weeks before my last service I was welcomed to the check oil light aswell. Oil level on the dipstick was on minimum and a full litre carton put it back to maximum. Everything is bone dry no leaks and it drives like it did when I got it when it was a few months old.

It did worry me aswell at the time.

How many miles is between your services? do yuo have it on longlife (20.000miles) or the shorter mileage service?

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
I've had this on mine once too, random oil check light and it was really low on the dipstick when I did check it, but has been fine ever since.

I think if it has to finish off a regen while stationary and with the engine off it will heat some engine oil up to pass through the DPF, maybe that has something to do with it?

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I've had this on mine once too, random oil check light and it was really low on the dipstick when I did check it, but has been fine ever since.

I think if it has to finish off a regen while stationary and with the engine off it will heat some engine oil up to pass through the DPF, maybe that has something to do with it?

Could be possible to do with the DPF regen I guess. Seems crazy though for 4 and 1/2 litres of oil in 8000 miles though even with regens...

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014

I had the same experience as this. Only the once last year during a long trip to Devon which caused a lot of stress ! Hasn't happened again, and the level seems to stay quite high now.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I carry a litre bottle of oil in the boot for emergencies now, takes it from min to max on the dipstick.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
If you say you put a whole 1 litre in when its on minimum how come it goes to full? I thought these have 4 1/2 litres of oil in?
When it's on minimum it still has about 31/2 litres in, if it went lower it would possibly be in danger of losing oil pressure on fast long bends.
If you used up 3 liters or more would probably seize engine.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
When it's on minimum it still has about 31/2 litres in, if it went lower it would possibly be in danger of losing oil pressure on fast long bends.
If you used up 3 liters or more would probably seize engine.

Ah right I see, so what you see on the dipstick is only the first litre basically...

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I phoned up my SEAT dealer and they suggest keeping an eye on it and if it keeps drinking the oil then itll have to go in to be inspected.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Ive seen this on Diesel engines which do a lot of regens. Also the car may ask for the oil to be changed when it reaches a certain quality level.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members