2.0 TDI 184 DSG excessive oil comsumption

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Ive seen this on Diesel engines which do a lot of regens. Also the car may ask for the oil to be changed when it reaches a certain quality level.

That is one thing I find it does do quite a few regens, I notice it when I have done a slower drive (sitting at about 60 on a 30 mile journey) and at the end it keeps the fan on and it sticks like burning rubber. But if I give it a spirited drive I don't get this.

How can it detect the quality of the oil?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
assuming my oil level was full when it was serviced 3 months ago, I've done around 3.5k miles since and it needed 500ml of oil to top it up to the full mark. Hopefully that's not too bad.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
My last VAG Tdi used to drink all the oil on an intermittent basis, turns out the tandem pump seal was faulty - occasionally blowing oil into the fuel filter, hence combustion. I would notice the odd puff of blue smoke on start up, but no other symptom.

If it loosing oil then it's either leaking away or burning it.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
That is one thing I find it does do quite a few regens, I notice it when I have done a slower drive (sitting at about 60 on a 30 mile journey) and at the end it keeps the fan on and it sticks like burning rubber. But if I give it a spirited drive I don't get this.

How can it detect the quality of the oil?

Most modern cars have a sensor which detects how good the oil is.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
assuming my oil level was full when it was serviced 3 months ago, I've done around 3.5k miles since and it needed 500ml of oil to top it up to the full mark. Hopefully that's not too bad.

Guess you have the same engine as me? if yes it must be normal I think being a higher powered engine.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
My last VAG Tdi used to drink all the oil on an intermittent basis, turns out the tandem pump seal was faulty - occasionally blowing oil into the fuel filter, hence combustion. I would notice the odd puff of blue smoke on start up, but no other symptom.

If it loosing oil then it's either leaking away or burning it.

See I havn't had any smoke or any signs of it loosing oil i.e. smoke or specs of oil around the exhaust etc....

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
...What do you guys think, could there be something wrong?Zaco95
Nothing wrong at all. iirc excessive oil consumption is 1 litre in 1000 KM.

Just check your oil level a bit more frequently (or at all?) rather than waiting for the low quantity light to come on, and top up as required.

Don't overfill it, as has been pointed out top mark to bottom on the dipstick is about a litre. Doing so can contaminate the various exhaust cleaning systems and if you really try you can fully seize the engine.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands

The car has a map generated from testing, it uses that to estimate oil contamination based on a few parameters (such as number of cycles/ cold starts, rpm below a set temp threshold etc). Might only be active if the Long Life Service indicator is operating, hence why you can see the Miles to Service vary from the 18600mile maximum.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Nothing wrong at all. iirc excessive oil consumption is 1 litre in 1000 KM.

Just check your oil level a bit more frequently (or at all?) rather than waiting for the low quantity light to come on, and top up as required.

Don't overfill it, as has been pointed out top mark to bottom on the dipstick is about a litre. Doing so can contaminate the various exhaust cleaning systems and if you really try you can fully seize the engine.

Thank's guess Ill just keep an eye on it for now and see what happens.....

Thank you All for your input.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Hello all,

I have the above car which is a 65 plate with 45000miles on the clock. In the past it has drank through oil where I had to top it up at just over 10,000 mile mark since previous service but this time its crazy, it's been 8000 miles since it's last service and I had the "Check Oil Level" light come on, so I checked it and it was about 2mm off the bottom of the guide on the dip stick so I have put about 500ml of oil in for now.

Yes I do drive it spiritedly occasionally but surely that wouldn't cause it to go through all of its oil in 8000 miles.....!

What do you guys think, could there be something wrong? I'd quite like to hear from some other 184 drivers....?

Thanks in advance,

Zaco95
Did the 500 ml take it to the full mark or just half way? However, even a litre in 7000 miles is not excessive. All engines use oil to some degree, they're designed to do so. Even if the level doesn't change on the dipstick, that's just the used oil being replaced by fuel dilution and other contaminants.
Worry not, unless the oil usage increases dramatically.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Did the 500 ml take it to the full mark or just half way? However, even a litre in 7000 miles is not excessive. All engines use oil to some degree, they're designed to do so. Even if the level doesn't change on the dipstick, that's just the used oil being replaced by fuel dilution and other contaminants.
Worry not, unless the oil usage increases dramatically.

It took it just over half.

Zac

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
My 1.2 TSI DSG 2014 uses 500ml every 1300 miles.... I carry a litre top up bottle in case I forget and get caught out.... I look at it that if I have to keep it topped up, then I know I always have clean fresh oil in the engine....

Deleted member 103408

The car has a map generated from testing, it uses that to estimate oil contamination based on a few parameters (such as number of cycles/ cold starts, rpm below a set temp threshold etc). Might only be active if the Long Life Service indicator is operating, hence why you can see the Miles to Service vary from the 18600mile maximum.

The Leon Cupra (and I suspect across the range) has this is in control unit 17 Dashboard and called SIE: oil quality:

Deleted member 103408

but it will change to Poor oil quality as you get nearer to an oil service change

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise