1.8TSi oil consumption

mikeleonmk2

Hi niggle and everyone
Im new around here, that same problem as you do, my car is leon 1.8l tsi 2011
I asked my mechanic about this problem and he said that it,s normal for the 1.8l engines
The oil consumption is more than the other engines such as the 2.0l
(He also tuned my car - revo stage 2)
So i think that he knows what he is talking about.
Hope you enjoy your ride

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Just checked the oil level with 1377 miles on the clock now. Doesn't appear to have used any oil since the last top-up, which is a great relief.

The road outside our house is not quite level (across the car) and this would appear to have a significant effect on the dipstick reading, much more significant than any other car that I have owned. Taking an average of the two readings with the car parked in both directions I reckon we used about 250ml of oil in the first 500 miles and very little since then.

Last edited:

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
I know its an old thread, but our FR has done over 30k now, and its oil usage has always be high compared to other makes. It uses oil from max to min every several thousand miles. So I have to topup approx 100ml every few months. This is definitely a car that has to be checked and topped up regularly. There are no leaks or signs of oil smoke from the exhaust so its very odd. My other cars don't need topping up between oil changes, except for previous Seat Altea TDI which was similar in usage!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
470 miles from new.

I have my doubts about the "bedding in" aspect. Piston rings should bed in within the first 10 minutes of an engine's life or they will never bed in. As I understand it VAG run the engines through a break-in cycle before the car leaves the factory.
Nonsense. I've disassembled an engine with 500 km's on it and it still had cross hatching on the bores. VW say 1600 km's break in for a reason.

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
well i had 1.8 tsi for 4 years, did 18k km a year and never had to top up oil between services... (15k).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.