buying a Mk3... but which one?!

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I originally wanted the Blue but eventually settled for Desire Red and I love it.

Looks great. Did you get any options? I'd be interested in android auto support and maybe winter pack (unless it's standard?)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Looks great. Did you get any options? I'd be interested in android auto support and maybe winter pack (unless it's standard?)

You mean full link?

I’ve got Full Link, Seat Sound and Leather Winter Pack. It was 6 months old when I got it so was lucky with what it come with.

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
You mean full link?

I’ve got Full Link, Seat Sound and Leather Winter Pack. It was 6 months old when I got it so was lucky with what it come with.

Yes that's it, full link. I think I've read it needs to be added to car at build so will look for that on any used model

Yeah that's a good few options

Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Yes that's it, full link. I think I've read it needs to be added to car at build so will look for that on any used model

I could be wrong but I think Full Link is included in all cars but not always activated. I believe it can only be activated at the dealers too. Unless it’s already activated at the factory.

Can anyone confirm if I’m right on this?

TheCraftyBugger

May 4, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I got my 1.4 ACT in April and it was a year old, it's been in sport mode since I got it and full link was active on mine, guess I got lucky as it seems to be a fairly stock FR Technology in monsoon grey.

Love the colour but need to clean it every other week.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
The 1.4 ACT is extremely versatile and does very well with economy. Coming from a 2.3 litre Mazda mps I do notice it running out of legs and lacking the oomph at overtaking speeds but it's not too bad. You really wouldn't think it's a 1.4. People make a lot of it not having the bigger brakes, but it's not a heavy car and again I find them perfectly adequate and the weighting is just fine. I don't really see the point in driving it in sport around town, otherwise why get the ACT - why let the economy suffer? Out on the open road is different. I sometimes use individual mode to make the steering a little heavier and get more feel. I do think the dsg is superb - you barely notice a blip on the speedo during changes, it's very linear and simply can't be matched by a manual gearbox.

The only downside is the hesitation you can get when slowing for a roundabout or picking up again over speedhumps etc. Basically the car 'thinks' you are going to stop so hasn't pre-selected for acceleration. 2 methods to mitigate this - over speed humps use anticipation to accelerate earlier to take account of the pause, elsewhere (like at roundabouts) simply blip the down paddle to put it in manual dsg for a brief moment. It will hold the revs and give you instant power without having a brown trouser moment.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I could be wrong but I think Full Link is included in all cars but not always activated. I believe it can only be activated at the dealers too. Unless it’s already activated at the factory.

Can anyone confirm if I’m right on this?
Can confirm the 2018 1.2 beastie has Full Link factory installed, but needs 'dealer' activation according to the screen.
It was not requested or expected at the time of ordering the car back in October 2017.

Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
I don't really see the point in driving it in sport around town, otherwise why get the ACT - why let the economy suffer?

Mine was in Sport all the time and mpg ranged from 40-55mpg for all driving. I worked on a minimum of 500miles between refills.

Can’t say the same for my Cupra. Normally 29-39mpg but still love it.

silles

May 4, 2017
The only way to drive it
emoji106.png
I got my 1.4 ACT in April and it was a year old, it's been in sport mode since I got it and full link was active on mine, guess I got lucky as it seems to be a fairly stock FR Technology in monsoon grey.

Love the colour but need to clean it every other week.

The 1.4 ACT is extremely versatile and does very well with economy. Coming from a 2.3 litre Mazda mps I do notice it running out of legs and lacking the oomph at overtaking speeds but it's not too bad. You really wouldn't think it's a 1.4. People make a lot of it not having the bigger brakes, but it's not a heavy car and again I find them perfectly adequate and the weighting is just fine. I don't really see the point in driving it in sport around town, otherwise why get the ACT - why let the economy suffer? Out on the open road is different. I sometimes use individual mode to make the steering a little heavier and get more feel. I do think the dsg is superb - you barely notice a blip on the speedo during changes, it's very linear and simply can't be matched by a manual gearbox.

The only downside is the hesitation you can get when slowing for a roundabout or picking up again over speedhumps etc. Basically the car 'thinks' you are going to stop so hasn't pre-selected for acceleration. 2 methods to mitigate this - over speed humps use anticipation to accelerate earlier to take account of the pause, elsewhere (like at roundabouts) simply blip the down paddle to put it in manual dsg for a brief moment. It will hold the revs and give you instant power without having a brown trouser moment.

I noticed the same hesitation on my old 1.4 ... however the cupra has faster DSG, so even if the wrong gear had been selected it can still change fast.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I can't give any sort of generic advice, but to give you a reference for what you can get for your money.
I bought a Leon Mk3 1.8 TSI FR Sport Coupe.
Spec:
  • Registered Jan 2014
  • 1 previous owner - trade in from a lease
  • 12,000 miles
  • Winter Pack - heated seats, headlight washer jets some other stuff...
  • Leather Seats
  • Storage Pack
  • Interior lighting upgrade
  • Driver Assistance pack
  • Dual climate control
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • all the kit included with FR and tech pack such as sat nav, cruise control, LED headlights and FR styling.
  • After market Tow Bar
Think there's a bunch more stuff that came with it but i cant remember it. And i got all that for just under £11,000 in August 2017
The things basically brand new.
When I was looking i was finding loads of 1.4's with less kit and more mileage for about 15k. Ridiculous really. Bought from a SEAT dealer in Wolverhampton.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I can't give any sort of generic advice, but to give you a reference for what you can get for your money.
Spec:
  • Registered Jan 2014
  • 12,000 miles
  • Leather Seats
  • Storage Pack
  • Driver Assistance pack
  • Dual climate control
  • all the kit included with FR and tech pack such as sat nav, cruise control, LED headlights and FR styling.
  • After market Tow Bar
Think there's a bunch more stuff that came with it but i cant remember it. And i got all that for just under £11,000 in August 2017
When I was looking i was finding loads of 1.4's with less kit and more mileage for about 15k. Ridiculous really. Bought from a SEAT dealer in Wolverhampton.

Wow - that's a great deal at that spec.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Spec:
  • Registered Jan 2014
  • 12,000 miles
  • Leather Seats
  • Storage Pack
  • Driver Assistance pack
  • Dual climate control
  • After market Tow Bar

That's some deal, it seems they've gone up in price. The cheapest I can see at the moment on auto trader is just under 12k.

I will be buying one of the variants next week. At the moment it's between the 184ps diesel or 1.4TSI 150 petrol. I have a few set up for test drives, so we'll see which I prefer then :think:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.