Cupra 290 to Hyundai i30 N. Mad?

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Update: So out of the blue I received a phone call today from Hyundai. They have put together a 'special offer' and would I like to come back in for another chat.

They gave the whole 'best we can do' talk but it's still a 4 figure deposit and nearly 400 a month.

I'll go in for another cup of tea I suppose.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

ConnorDuff

Jan 3, 2018
I have driven both. Am a huge Cupra fan but the i30n was a big surprise. May be lacking in power but an amazing drive! On a good twisty road or on the track I think the i30n would just about have the edge especially in the corners.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Went for a second test drive today. It confirmed two things.

1. It's a hoot to drive. So much more fun and has way more character than the Cupra.

2. Number 1 is the only thing that it beats the Cupra on and there is no way I would pay more than I am now to get in one.

Turns out the deal they had put together was for the demo car. I'm going to leave it for now and see if they bring out a price reduction or deposit contribution or something as it's still very expensive.

Kernow Bob

Feb 3, 2018
This is a car to potentially buy when 2 years old and has heavily depreciated - has 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Got an extended test drive with an I30N in a couple of weekends, hopefully will see what all the fuss is about.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Hyundai are giving folk circa £10500 GFV after 4 years on pcp. The Pcp and Pch deals so far are so high that I'd happily take a cupra 300 instead. What SEAT need to do is test drive the i30N and make the next Mk4 Cupra as engaging to drive with more power and the same cheap lease and pcp deals they offer on the 300. If the Cupra rebrand is to be taken seriously they need to up the game in driving dynamica.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I would rather CUPRA churn out limited run RS megane style cars with roll cages and leave SEAT to churn out cheap lease deals.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Hyundai are giving folk circa £10500 GFV after 4 years on pcp. The Pcp and Pch deals so far are so high that I'd happily take a cupra 300 instead. What SEAT need to do is test drive the i30N and make the next Mk4 Cupra as engaging to drive with more power and the same cheap lease and pcp deals they offer on the 300. If the Cupra rebrand is to be taken seriously they need to up the game in driving dynamica.
My GFV offered was just over £9k after 42 months 10k miles a year.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Well I was lucky enough to be invited to Millbrook test track for an i30N driver experience day today.

Over my 11 years with SEAT I have been to a lot of events with SEAT UK and SEAT Sport/SEAT Motorsport Italia, apart from the track events this has got to be the best event I've been to.

Hyundai UK had set out a number of indoor challenges first that you could score points for, then you had points for social media and finally points for driving challenges:

high speed lap of the bowl (who can get closest to 120mph average, I managed 120.3mph)
handling course
alpine route
0-60 on the mile stretch

The only dodgy bit of the day was the end when the winners were announced, the girl who won was about 100 points clear of everybody but didn't have social media (you could score 110 points for social media alone) Me and a i30N owner were neck and neck for most of the day in first but managed to finish 150points behind her. The guys partner was on 345 points after 4 events but finished the day on 345 so we reckon it wasn't upto date.

Video on the bowl not me driving, lad managed 120mph on the clocks but 116mph GPS, I averaged 120.3mph on the GPS.

The handling course was done by an expert driver and by god did he push the car! I've got to say very impressed with the i30N performance pack (275bhp) sounds superb in stock form compared to the Cupra 280/290/300, looks striking in the blue and actually felt really nice inside. The clutch was too light for my liking but apart from that felt good.

Be interesting to spend a few days with one see how it does the daily commute.

For me the best bit though, is there isn't a lot of them around so you are purchasing a car that you aren't going to see a lot of! incidentally at the event were 2x MK3 Cupra (290 and a 300) had a chat with both of them, neither of them on the forum, both leased them because they were cheap!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Some pictures from the day

nzk6ibSm.jpg

c995wQmm.jpg

CMEf4c0m.jpg

QxuGS6em.jpg

AoTorMIm.jpg

jVDhnVPm.jpg

jka

Cupra 300 DSG
Mar 27, 2017
Sweden
Not mad at all, good looking car, seriously fast one and with good exhaust note stock!

Raced with one like 10 days ago on swedish freeway. He keept up nicly could not shacke him or her..

But, have an extra look at the new renault megane rs. I would choose one with legacy performance car experience

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.