Painting centre of bumper - What colour Black?

Statto25

Sep 13, 2017
My FR is going in for some repairs after a farmer reversed into me and broke the centre and lower grilles.
While its in there I am thinking of painting behind the number plate and just below the lower grille black but not sure on the shade/colour black to go with. I am going to fit a TRC splitter once its done so I am thinking a gloss black for the bumper. Any suggestions welcome!

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
I’d go satin or semi-gloss (are they the same?). Gloss might be very, er, glossy. Even matt maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statto25

Sep 13, 2017
I was thinking a matte black myself but I am having trouble getting a paint code for a suitable colour. What is the colour used on the factory paint job I wonder?

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Craic lad, I'd recommend you get it wrapped to be honest, lets you change your mind down the road. I had the license plate section of mine wrapped in gloss black and it matched the TRC splitter I had very nicely. The Cupra comes with it gloss as standard too. Dont know if you're up near Dublin but I got my wrapping done at carstyle in Dublin. I'd recommend them, nice lads and good quality work.
Here's an idea of gloss with a TRC splitter on my Cupra.
fHhjP2V.jpg

Here's my old FR with the wrap behind the plate. The lower part under the grill was actually matte plasti dip along with the chrome grill surround and I always thought the matte didn't match the splitter well enough. If you're a fan of matte black though you could plasti dip the TRC splitter and go matte on the bumper to match it all.
qWCgPYN.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think I’d also go for wrapping it - less permanent than painting, and more options on the finish. In addition to gloss, matt or satin, you could also go for something like carbon fibre with a vinyl wrap.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I went with Matt black, it blends with the mesh grill alot better and doesn't reflect light so looks a bit deeper.

Statto25

Sep 13, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I am in Mayo (Ireland) and unfortunately there are no decent wrappers locally. I had contemplated Plasti-Dip but with the bumper coming off for the repair work I figured Id get the spraying and the splitter fitted too while its off.
Cupras come with gloss as standard, good to know.

Last edited:

Statto25

Sep 13, 2017
TCR splitter purchased and paint chosen (VW Black L041) just have to organise to book it in. One final question if someone could oblige.... Should I paint around the lip around where the lower grille meets the bumper or just the lower lip that will be above the splitter?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.