Satnav stupidity!

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Has anybody else experienced Satnav stupidity?
On a trip from Devon to Hertfordshire at the weekend I experienced some particularly stupid routing from the Satnav.
On the M5 Northbound near Burnham on Sea the Spanish lady behind the dash directed me to leave the motorway and take the A38 towards Bristol. However after a short distance she demanded that I make a U turn and go back to the junction I had just left and rejoin the M5!
I'm not sure I can trust the directions from this device anymore.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
What time of day? Ive cut that corner before by choice. I have followed sat nav and saved hours skirting queues even when it seems odd.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
So look at your journey before you set off...

Devon to Hertfordshire is basically M5 - M4 - M25 - A1M. You don't need sat nav for most of it.

Reactions: Maxloafer

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
Yep on the few occasions I’ve tried using the car nav it’s inexplicably told me to get off then back on the M1 at the same junction. Even wanted me to get off the M40 at Bicester, up the A41, round the roundabout, back down the A41 and back onto the M40 at the same junction I’d just left at. Needless to say I ignored it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
So look at your journey before you set off...

Devon to Hertfordshire is basically M5 - M4 - M25 - A1M. You don't need sat nav for most of it.
Yes absolutely but there were warnings from the Spanish lady " the route has been changed due to traffic conditions" so I thought that the M5 may be at a standstill, it often is. But to take me off up the road and then trying to turn me round to get back on where I got off!!! The M5 was flowing freely at the point of leaving it.
I can't trust her any more.

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Yes absolutely but there were warnings from the Spanish lady " the route has been changed due to traffic conditions" so I thought that the M5 may be at a standstill, it often is. But to take me off up the road and then trying to turn me round to get back on where I got off!!! The M5 was flowing freely at the point of leaving it.
I can't trust her any more.
I spent l
The last 25 years of my working life travelling the UK and can find my way to most places without the use of Satnavs and maps aside from the fine details in towns. So I am looking for guidance on large scale hold ups which the Seat Satnav is supposed to do. No good if it is not reliable with its info.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
If set to 'shortest route' some satnavs can advise strange things like going up and back down
ramps to-rejoin the same motorway if it detects that way is 0.2 miles shorter distance travelled.

Agree about not using satnav for most of the journey, just do a quick plan in advance and turn
the thing on when 5 miles or so from the destination, if not already known.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
When at Spa in 2014 mine went a big haywire. Basically come out of the campsite by turning right, do about 4 miles that way then you arrive at Spa.

The sat nav wanted me to turn right out of the campsite, travel 3 miles into a town, turn into the one way system, come back round on myself and then go all the way back past campsite to Spa.

I think not.

mattb82

Aug 13, 2016
Tamworth
I've never been a fan of sat navs but found the google maps routing through europe to be almost faultless. Except for it sending me down a couple of miles of bike track in Switzerland it didn't seem to choose any silly routes.

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Has anybody else experienced Satnav stupidity?
On a trip from Devon to Hertfordshire at the weekend I experienced some particularly stupid routing from the Satnav.
On the M5 Northbound near Burnham on Sea the Spanish lady behind the dash directed me to leave the motorway and take the A38 towards Bristol. However after a short distance she demanded that I make a U turn and go back to the junction I had just left and rejoin the M5!
Unless she changed the route mid drive, surely you saw on the map what it was doing so could just ignore it???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.