Pd130 replaced head gasket and skimmed head

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, moving house has its own set of stresses without having car issues! When we moved house, luckily we packed 2 cars with some clothes and tools etc, as our removal van got to the end of the driveway of our new house, the outgoing owner's export packers had just arrived, after a few hours our removal van had to return to base and unload as it was booked for a long distance removal the next day, that left us moving into our new house at 18:30 instead of 12:30 and so left the new owners of our house in a mess as our lawyer would not hand over the keys until we had taken over our new house. I approached our lawyers over redress to cover our extra costs including storage of our "stuff" until our removal company could redeliver 3 days later and buying inflatable mattresses etc. The lawyer's answer was that "exchanging times" are just notional and not fixed???

I hope your house move went/goes okay!

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Yes, moving house has its own set of stresses without having car issues! When we moved house, luckily we packed 2 cars with some clothes and tools etc, as our removal van got to the end of the driveway of our new house, the outgoing owner's export packers had just arrived, after a few hours our removal van had to return to base and unload as it was booked for a long distance removal the next day, that left us moving into our new house at 18:30 instead of 12:30 and so left the new owners of our house in a mess as our lawyer would not hand over the keys until we had taken over our new house. I approached our lawyers over redress to cover our extra costs including storage of our "stuff" until our removal company could redeliver 3 days later and buying inflatable mattresses etc. The lawyer's answer was that "exchanging times" are just notional and not fixed???

I hope your house move went/goes okay!
Thanks mate....
Just went to make a sandwich and realised I forgot the cutlery
Solicitors ha they're nearly as bad as estate agents ..... In the new gaff now just waiting for a foreign bloke bringing me a second hand TV for cash .... Drove car for less than two miles and it blew up like a balloon again

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
It's odds on the head isn't sealing, it'd be quite the coincidence that the EGR cooler cracks just after you've had the head off.

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
It's odds on the head isn't sealing, it'd be quite the coincidence that the EGR cooler cracks just after you've had the head off.

Well I bit the bullet yesterday and bought another engine.... Full engine with turbo, alternator etc, got it for £100 which I thought was a cracking price, 120.000 mile engine out of a golf. The egr is different and the timing belt tensioner / front engine mount looks different but apart from that happy days, I'm assured that the engine is sweet though, it came out of a car that got attacked with a hammer when the guys wife discovered he had been playing away.....

Last edited:

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and bought another engine.... Full engine with turbo, alternator etc, got it for £100 which I thought was a cracking price, 120.000 mile engine out of a golf. The egr is different and the timing belt tensioner / front engine mount looks different but apart from that happy days, I'm assured that the engine is sweet though, it came out of a car that got attacked with a hammer when the guys wife discovered she had been playing away.....
She attacked her own car........bizarre :rifle::rifle:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Right people after a week of misery the car now has my new old engine fitted which when started from cold was behaving itself.... That's when the trouble began, it has thrown up several error codes which were
17057&17058 glow plug malfunction on cylinders 3&4 which is understandable as the wires feeding the glow plugs which came with the replacment engine was seized onto the glow plugs which I had to pull off with a length of strap ( it was scrap anyway ) not really too worried about that yet.
17911 Alternator signal intermittent
18265 abs signal intermittent which is linked to 17911 as it uses the feed wire from the alternator as a crude esp going to another sensor on the gearbox, I fixed the latter today it was a chafed wire and no codes are showing now apart from the glow plugs .... The problem is that when the engine is cold it idles perfectly until it starts lifting the temperature needle anything from the bottom, it then starts to misfire getting gradually worse the warmer the engine gets ... I have so far replaced the injector loom, crank position sensor and cam sensor for known good parts.... If this was a petrol car I would say spark plugs or leads .... So this leads me to think I have at least one bad injector ? PS no fault codes for anything to do with the injector's or anything else, I will take my known good injectors off the old engine tomorrow as a last ditch attempt to fix this misfire. Does this sound like a blocked injector or a dodgy solenoid to anyone ?
As always any replies very appreciated

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Map sensor is bolted to one of the intercooler pipes I believe.

Usually one thats not very easy to get to.

Ha that sounds about right bud, too late now I have pulled the injectors out and they were absolutely caked with carbon, haven't put new ones back in yet

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Ha that sounds about right bud, too late now I have pulled the injectors out and they were absolutely caked with carbon, haven't put new ones back in yet

*****Fixed*****
Turns out that the injector seals were knackered on at least one injector can't say if that was caused by removing them though as I ended up having to pull them out with the engine crane, plus the tips were absolutely caked up with carbon, fitted my recently refurbished injectors out of the old engine along with rocker adjuster screws and happy days all is well with the world and hopefully I can at least try to be able to get my fingernails clean for the first time in weeks ha and let the stripped bark heal on the backs of my hands

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Happy Days indeed!
Only slight worry is now injector rockers have been adjusted and I have run it for a few days is the engine sounds a bit rough on start up when cold and a bit noisy top end on light revving, I think it desperately needs an oil change, I think I might drop out the 1000 mile shell helix oil from the other engine and use it as flushing oil before a proper oil change later this week .... Is flushing oil safe to use do you think before I drop the sludge out

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd not like to say wrt using flushing oil in a high mileage engine that had not been flushed before, maybe it would be worthwhile as long as it does not cause any movement of lumpy bits! Sump off and clean up?

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
I'd not like to say wrt using flushing oil in a high mileage engine that had not been flushed before, maybe it would be worthwhile as long as it does not cause any movement of lumpy bits! Sump off and clean up?
Fair point, I may just for now dump the old oil and use the fresher oil of the screwed engine as a flush before sourcing a sump gasket and scraping the crap out of the new engines sump and re filling with fresh oil ... See imI working on a tight budget at the moment as im in between jobs and it is either spend money on food and living expenses or spunking it on non essential things like this, on the upside I sold the turbo off the other engine, the inlet charge pipe, might have sold the injectors plus have loads of useful other bits to sell, so if the injectors sell I basically got a free engine and made £100 profit on parts :1st::harhar: I'd like to thank all who offered advice to me on this thread once again:thumbup: Thanks peeps

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If the sump is as full of crap as you imagine then that engine is already ******.

I've used oil flush stuff before and it worked a treat, but only in a petrol engine.

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
If the sump is as full of crap as you imagine then that engine is already ******.

I've used oil flush stuff before and it worked a treat, but only in a petrol engine.

Apparently the engine only had 120 thousand miles on it, the timing belt had just been done but the water pump had not .... Maybe it's just me but this engine sounds slightly noisier top end, but has loads of power and not smokey.
The thought hadn't occurred to me about sump sludge till rum4mo had suggested that I checked it, my other cars got oil service every 12 months regardless whether it had hit the service intervals or not

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members