Seat Ibiza FR 1000 Mile Review

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018
Hi all. New to the forum, but have been browsing in the background for a good few months now after ordering my Ibiza back in March. I just wanted to share my experiences and review of the new Ibiza now I have hit the 1000 mile mark to try help others.

As a little background, I am new to Seat coming over from owning a BMW 120 M Sport for the last 5 years. As such, a lot of my comparisons are (somewhat wrongly) back to this. However, that said, you would be surprised about just how much the Ibiza offers for a fraction of the cost. I wanted something more economical and cheaper to maintain, and found myself at a Seat dealer in March looking at the new Ibiza. I personally think it looks great and these days I see an awful lot of 1Series BMs out and about but had not seen many new shape Ibiza on the new platforms which had some added appeal for me. The review turned out a little lengthy - so apologies in advance. TL;DR, its a cracking little car.

I settled on the FR 115, Desire Red and with the 18" Performance Rims. Added the spare tyre and the car was ordered. Now - had I been a bit smarter I would also have added the full LED lights (will explain in a bit) and would highly recommend anyone ordering to consider them. Placing my order in March, there was no option for the alcantara leather which I would have loved and seeing the new MY19 guide, the FR Sport line looks quite good in my opinion.

Driving... car arrived early July, collection was swift and away I went. It drives superbly and considering I was so used to my 1Series I found it quite delightful. Its light, easy through the gears and doesn't mind being worked to get the most out of the engine. The little three pot is terrific and honestly I have no issues with its power, having seen some reviews claim it a little underpowered. Yes its not quite the 2litre out the BM but pulling up the motorway slip, 40-70 was brisk and it was almost like the little 1litre wanted to be pushed up further. It does want to get in to high gears quite quickly but I am not really one for using the gear change indicator the cars are fitted with - I live in the countryside and the roads are hilly, tight and twisty and often prefer to listen and feel the car to work out the right gear.

I have a 6 speed manual similar to my old car and power was readily available through the lower gears, pulling out seems to prove no problem and getting up to road speed is a breeze. Overtaking is also easy thanks to its spritely engine and I must say I am very impressed with the capabilities of the little three pot. Its easy in the corners, thanks to its lightness, and seems to absorbs the bumps and lumps of the UKs finest roads. Now - I am comparing here to a sport suspension, run flat 18" set up on the 1Series so for me, the Ibiza seems a rather comfortable set up. My dad has been in though, and finds that its still a bit hard. I guess here it depends what you are used to; and I have not noticed any firmness in the 18" rims on the Ibiza. Even in sport mode it seems OK to me. I am also 26 so maybe my age isn't feeling the knocks just yet... that will change one day.

MPG for the first tank was 38.1, second tank was 44.2 and nearly at the end of my third tank its at 49.0 dead. This has a range of c. 410 miles but obviously varies on how the individual drives. As a comparison the 1Series had an average of 28.9 on the same drives. As the engine has worn in its improved, I haven't driven any different but noticing the throttle getting a bit more responsive, the brakes a bit sharper and the gear changes smoother. I expected this somewhat but thought it would be useful info for others who may be surprised at low MPG early on. I am driving solely in sport mode because I am still a big kid at heart but in Eco am sure you could get this in to the 50s. I drive daily a mix of A and B roads with weekends on A and motorways.

Negatives: 1st gear was a little notchy for the first 400-500 miles but its actually settled in as time has gone. I did read on here others stating similar but it never caused me any issues. Exhaust noise isn't quite the BMs growl (but come on, was I really expecting that)!?

Interior... now, I would have loved the alcantara but as stated at the time of ordering this was not an option. I even asked about getting it as the Excellence still had it as an option and was told firmly it wasn't possible. I've since seen that the new MY19 has it back as standard on the FR Sport (open to being corrected) and personally think this would really complete the interior. Its nothing flashy, but its all simplistic and easy. The touchscreen is one of the best I have used and eclipses that of the one fitted in my old 1Series. Its quick, easy to use, sharp colour. Just expect to wipe it down frequently along with the glossy black trim as it shows every finger mark. I should note, I did fit a centre armrest to mine a day after collecting and feel it should have come with one as an option but, £100 part and fitted in 10mins so cannot complain. I think it looks better inside with the armrest fitted but I do a lot of miles and appreciate the extra support. The interior ambient lighting is a nice touch, in the foot wells and under the door trim. The standard speakers seem fine to me but others have commented on the need to upgrade to the Beats system. For the money - I am not sure its worth it but each to their own and obviously depends on personal preferences. The 1Series had climate control and was perfect for this kind of weather, I opted against it in the Ibiza and honestly have no issues again with the standard A/C. I read a few posts about it not being too cooling but I find if you recirculate the air rather than bringing in more hot air from outside, you can keep the car a lovely cool temp quite easily. Finally, there is ample space in the car. For a supermini it easily sits 4 adults and the boot will take a couple of suitcase without a problem. As a 5 door, its easier to get in and out than my BM and the boot takes a bigger load. From moving from BMW I expected to feel a significant difference and the hard plastics on the dash aside, I think its pretty good. Yes, its not got that Audi level feel to it but I am also not feeling like I have jumped down drastically.

Negatives: wind up windows in the back... I wont ever be in the back to use them so not fussed but for a new car in 2018 I was a bit surprised here. Would have liked some more storage but maybe my fault there for not ordering the extra storage compartments (mixed reviews on that though). No option for heated seats/steering wheel which seems a common option in VAG cars but omitted here.

Exterior... It looks stunning. I am yet to find someone that doesn't agree. A few have commented on the fake tailpipes but I think they are kind of cool. Sporty looking and goes with the look of the car. The gloss black mirrors go really well with the desire red paint and the black alloys. I have fitted wind deflectors front and rear as a personal choice and think they look good - but again mixed opinions as I know plenty that do not like these. The DLR are smart and I like the coming home function on the lights, helps for my driveway. But this does bring me to my biggest negative of the Ibiza and one born out of my own stupidity. I assumed a new car would be just as good on standard halogen lights as LED. Oh how wrong... I solved this by swapping the standard H7 bulbs for some Osram Nightbreaker Lasers, highly recommended if you are like me and didn't go LED. Some serious light power from those.

Negatives: LED lights would have really set the car out but this is my fault, really. Easily corrected but I cant help but think how much more the LEDs would have given the car. If you drive a lot, or even not a lot, you will notice that grime and muck builds up along the lines of the car where it has been styled. Notable on the roof right on the edges running along the top of the car and down the side under the curve. I clean the cars every Saturday morning so it hasn't been an issue but come winter it might become more visible.

Final thoughts... In all I love it. It gives me just as big a smile driving daily as my BMW did and I never thought I would have that conclusion. When it came to get something a bit better on the wallet I thought I would have to sacrifice the fun and luxury that the more expensive cars have to offer but the Ibiza has proved me wrong. Whilst not a table topper in automotive luxury its enough for everyday use and welcoming to get in to. Would have liked heated seats for winter, should have gone for the LED lights, but in all a cracking little car well built and fun to drive in town or out on the roads.

I hope the review helps others, any questions on owning/driving/deciding on an Ibiza I would be happy to help with and if you got this far - thanks for reading.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
Hi mate.

Quality read here, enjoyed it. I have ordered the 95 in Mystery Blue with the 18" alloys and full LED's. Now seeing pictures of the Ibiza with and without the LED's, I really think they're a must have when buying.

Hopefully I don't miss the 20bhp between the 95 and 115 but I was contemplating whether to upgrade but was told it would be £1,600 (£1,000 increase in FR models and £600 between 95 and 115) so I decided against.

Have you driven the 95 or is it just the 115? I can't seem to find anyone that will let me test drive one without buying as I've already bought one.

Cheers

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018
Hi mate.

Quality read here, enjoyed it. I have ordered the 95 in Mystery Blue with the 18" alloys and full LED's. Now seeing pictures of the Ibiza with and without the LED's, I really think they're a must have when buying.

Hopefully I don't miss the 20bhp between the 95 and 115 but I was contemplating whether to upgrade but was told it would be £1,600 (£1,000 increase in FR models and £600 between 95 and 115) so I decided against.

Have you driven the 95 or is it just the 115? I can't seem to find anyone that will let me test drive one without buying as I've already bought one.

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully you found it somewhat useful. I had a tough time picking between the Mystery Blue and Desire Red but think both colours look stunning. When I picked up my car it was fresh washed and wax sitting in the sun and looked glorious! I test drove a 115 in Mystery Blue, on the 18" too, and that was part of the reason I had such trouble deciding on the colour.

Personally I like having the 6th gear as its what I am used to and do a lot of motorway driving, but I wouldn't say the 20ps is too much different. I originally test drove a 95SE before testing the 115FR and other than being slightly slower up to speed, around town and at road speed its really not noticeable. I think on paper the 95 is 1.6 seconds slower on the 0-60 but in reality, on UK roads at UK speed limits, you wont really be worrying about that. It feels quicker than it is, similar to how it feels like a car from the class above in terms of size and space, without being in the same price bracket. Neither than 95 or 115 are in hot hatch territory and even the 150 is a bit out, they just aren't in that class nor designed to be. But as a supermini / small hatch, its up their with best in class.

For general driving, I am having just as much fun in the Ibiza than the M Sport so speed isn't really everything. It delivers what it has really well. With the £1,600 saved between the two, you could put a fair bit of extra kit on or use it towards insurance/petrol or anything else you might want to add. Or simply just pocket the saving.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully you found it somewhat useful. I had a tough time picking between the Mystery Blue and Desire Red but think both colours look stunning. When I picked up my car it was fresh washed and wax sitting in the sun and looked glorious! I test drove a 115 in Mystery Blue, on the 18" too, and that was part of the reason I had such trouble deciding on the colour.

Personally I like having the 6th gear as its what I am used to and do a lot of motorway driving, but I wouldn't say the 20ps is too much different. I originally test drove a 95SE before testing the 115FR and other than being slightly slower up to speed, around town and at road speed its really not noticeable. I think on paper the 95 is 1.6 seconds slower on the 0-60 but in reality, on UK roads at UK speed limits, you wont really be worrying about that. It feels quicker than it is, similar to how it feels like a car from the class above in terms of size and space, without being in the same price bracket. Neither than 95 or 115 are in hot hatch territory and even the 150 is a bit out, they just aren't in that class nor designed to be. But as a supermini / small hatch, its up their with best in class.

For general driving, I am having just as much fun in the Ibiza than the M Sport so speed isn't really everything. It delivers what it has really well. With the £1,600 saved between the two, you could put a fair bit of extra kit on or use it towards insurance/petrol or anything else you might want to add. Or simply just pocket the saving.

Well I am coming from a 52bhp Nissan Micra so I don’t think I’ll mind. Even the 75PS SE I drove felt a lot quicker than my current car. I have already put nearly £1000 worth of extras on the car with the alloys and headlights (£480 for LEDs and £380 for the alloys) and I am already paying a reasonable sum per month.

Still haven’t got a build week yet♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018
Well I am coming from a 52bhp Nissan Micra so I don’t think I’ll mind. Even the 75PS SE I drove felt a lot quicker than my current car. I have already put nearly £1000 worth of extras on the car with the alloys and headlights (£480 for LEDs and £380 for the alloys) and I am already paying a reasonable sum per month.

Still haven’t got a build week yet♂️

The 95 will be much quicker than your current car, so you will notice the difference for sure even without going up the to 115. You can look at the £1,600 saved from making that upgrade as money saved towards paying the current one which long term helps. I only wish I had taken the LEDs but as mentioned, swapping the standard H7s for Osrams has given me good light as a workaround. Shame I cant go upgrade now I have the car but lessons learnt for next time.

I placed the order early March, got a build week about 4 weeks after and was quoted 20 weeks, arrived at dealer start of July. But the process varies between orders as I have read on here, I think I got a bit lucky with the speed at which it came through. There is a post on the forum with the lead times for new orders, might be worth checking out if your dealer hasn't quoted you any times yet.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
The 95 will be much quicker than your current car, so you will notice the difference for sure even without going up the to 115. You can look at the £1,600 saved from making that upgrade as money saved towards paying the current one which long term helps. I only wish I had taken the LEDs but as mentioned, swapping the standard H7s for Osrams has given me good light as a workaround. Shame I cant go upgrade now I have the car but lessons learnt for next time.

I placed the order early March, got a build week about 4 weeks after and was quoted 20 weeks, arrived at dealer start of July. But the process varies between orders as I have read on here, I think I got a bit lucky with the speed at which it came through. There is a post on the forum with the lead times for new orders, might be worth checking out if your dealer hasn't quoted you any times yet.

I was quoted 16 weeks, ordered around 12th June. I think the full LEDs really make the car look the part, I think I’ve made a good choice.

What sort of MPG are you getting now?

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018
I was quoted 16 weeks, ordered around 12th June. I think the full LEDs really make the car look the part, I think I’ve made a good choice.

What sort of MPG are you getting now?

Agreed on the full LEDs. I see they are now standard on the FR models for MY19 which is good.

This last tank the average is now at 49.0 MPG, gradually going up as the engine settles etc. But MPG is a bit of long topic as it really varies between drivers, driving style, roads used, traffic, conditions and so on. So many variables to take in.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
Agreed on the full LEDs. I see they are now standard on the FR models for MY19 which is good.

This last tank the average is now at 49.0 MPG, gradually going up as the engine settles etc. But MPG is a bit of long topic as it really varies between drivers, driving style, roads used, traffic, conditions and so on. So many variables to take in.

They would be now I’ve just spent £480 on adding them to my car ffs. I think they’re standard on FR Leon’s too.

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018
They would be now I’ve just spent £480 on adding them to my car ffs. I think they’re standard on FR Leon’s too.

Might be worth checking here: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/my19-easy-order-to-my19-easy-offer.445046/

Has the MY19 guide but also seems that some orders will be spec'd at MY19 depending on build weeks etc. Though my knowledge on this is zero so might be worth a read through to see, some helpful information in there.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
Reactions: ItsLeigh

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
Hi all. New to the forum, but have been browsing in the background for a good few months now after ordering my Ibiza back in March. I just wanted to share my experiences and review of the new Ibiza now I have hit the 1000 mile mark to try help others.

As a little background, I am new to Seat coming over from owning a BMW 120 M Sport for the last 5 years. As such, a lot of my comparisons are (somewhat wrongly) back to this. However, that said, you would be surprised about just how much the Ibiza offers for a fraction of the cost. I wanted something more economical and cheaper to maintain, and found myself at a Seat dealer in March looking at the new Ibiza. I personally think it looks great and these days I see an awful lot of 1Series BMs out and about but had not seen many new shape Ibiza on the new platforms which had some added appeal for me. The review turned out a little lengthy - so apologies in advance. TL;DR, its a cracking little car.

I settled on the FR 115, Desire Red and with the 18" Performance Rims. Added the spare tyre and the car was ordered. Now - had I been a bit smarter I would also have added the full LED lights (will explain in a bit) and would highly recommend anyone ordering to consider them. Placing my order in March, there was no option for the alcantara leather which I would have loved and seeing the new MY19 guide, the FR Sport line looks quite good in my opinion.

Driving... car arrived early July, collection was swift and away I went. It drives superbly and considering I was so used to my 1Series I found it quite delightful. Its light, easy through the gears and doesn't mind being worked to get the most out of the engine. The little three pot is terrific and honestly I have no issues with its power, having seen some reviews claim it a little underpowered. Yes its not quite the 2litre out the BM but pulling up the motorway slip, 40-70 was brisk and it was almost like the little 1litre wanted to be pushed up further. It does want to get in to high gears quite quickly but I am not really one for using the gear change indicator the cars are fitted with - I live in the countryside and the roads are hilly, tight and twisty and often prefer to listen and feel the car to work out the right gear.

I have a 6 speed manual similar to my old car and power was readily available through the lower gears, pulling out seems to prove no problem and getting up to road speed is a breeze. Overtaking is also easy thanks to its spritely engine and I must say I am very impressed with the capabilities of the little three pot. Its easy in the corners, thanks to its lightness, and seems to absorbs the bumps and lumps of the UKs finest roads. Now - I am comparing here to a sport suspension, run flat 18" set up on the 1Series so for me, the Ibiza seems a rather comfortable set up. My dad has been in though, and finds that its still a bit hard. I guess here it depends what you are used to; and I have not noticed any firmness in the 18" rims on the Ibiza. Even in sport mode it seems OK to me. I am also 26 so maybe my age isn't feeling the knocks just yet... that will change one day.

MPG for the first tank was 38.1, second tank was 44.2 and nearly at the end of my third tank its at 49.0 dead. This has a range of c. 410 miles but obviously varies on how the individual drives. As a comparison the 1Series had an average of 28.9 on the same drives. As the engine has worn in its improved, I haven't driven any different but noticing the throttle getting a bit more responsive, the brakes a bit sharper and the gear changes smoother. I expected this somewhat but thought it would be useful info for others who may be surprised at low MPG early on. I am driving solely in sport mode because I am still a big kid at heart but in Eco am sure you could get this in to the 50s. I drive daily a mix of A and B roads with weekends on A and motorways.

Negatives: 1st gear was a little notchy for the first 400-500 miles but its actually settled in as time has gone. I did read on here others stating similar but it never caused me any issues. Exhaust noise isn't quite the BMs growl (but come on, was I really expecting that)!?

Interior... now, I would have loved the alcantara but as stated at the time of ordering this was not an option. I even asked about getting it as the Excellence still had it as an option and was told firmly it wasn't possible. I've since seen that the new MY19 has it back as standard on the FR Sport (open to being corrected) and personally think this would really complete the interior. Its nothing flashy, but its all simplistic and easy. The touchscreen is one of the best I have used and eclipses that of the one fitted in my old 1Series. Its quick, easy to use, sharp colour. Just expect to wipe it down frequently along with the glossy black trim as it shows every finger mark. I should note, I did fit a centre armrest to mine a day after collecting and feel it should have come with one as an option but, £100 part and fitted in 10mins so cannot complain. I think it looks better inside with the armrest fitted but I do a lot of miles and appreciate the extra support. The interior ambient lighting is a nice touch, in the foot wells and under the door trim. The standard speakers seem fine to me but others have commented on the need to upgrade to the Beats system. For the money - I am not sure its worth it but each to their own and obviously depends on personal preferences. The 1Series had climate control and was perfect for this kind of weather, I opted against it in the Ibiza and honestly have no issues again with the standard A/C. I read a few posts about it not being too cooling but I find if you recirculate the air rather than bringing in more hot air from outside, you can keep the car a lovely cool temp quite easily. Finally, there is ample space in the car. For a supermini it easily sits 4 adults and the boot will take a couple of suitcase without a problem. As a 5 door, its easier to get in and out than my BM and the boot takes a bigger load. From moving from BMW I expected to feel a significant difference and the hard plastics on the dash aside, I think its pretty good. Yes, its not got that Audi level feel to it but I am also not feeling like I have jumped down drastically.

Negatives: wind up windows in the back... I wont ever be in the back to use them so not fussed but for a new car in 2018 I was a bit surprised here. Would have liked some more storage but maybe my fault there for not ordering the extra storage compartments (mixed reviews on that though). No option for heated seats/steering wheel which seems a common option in VAG cars but omitted here.

Exterior... It looks stunning. I am yet to find someone that doesn't agree. A few have commented on the fake tailpipes but I think they are kind of cool. Sporty looking and goes with the look of the car. The gloss black mirrors go really well with the desire red paint and the black alloys. I have fitted wind deflectors front and rear as a personal choice and think they look good - but again mixed opinions as I know plenty that do not like these. The DLR are smart and I like the coming home function on the lights, helps for my driveway. But this does bring me to my biggest negative of the Ibiza and one born out of my own stupidity. I assumed a new car would be just as good on standard halogen lights as LED. Oh how wrong... I solved this by swapping the standard H7 bulbs for some Osram Nightbreaker Lasers, highly recommended if you are like me and didn't go LED. Some serious light power from those.

Negatives: LED lights would have really set the car out but this is my fault, really. Easily corrected but I cant help but think how much more the LEDs would have given the car. If you drive a lot, or even not a lot, you will notice that grime and muck builds up along the lines of the car where it has been styled. Notable on the roof right on the edges running along the top of the car and down the side under the curve. I clean the cars every Saturday morning so it hasn't been an issue but come winter it might become more visible.

Final thoughts... In all I love it. It gives me just as big a smile driving daily as my BMW did and I never thought I would have that conclusion. When it came to get something a bit better on the wallet I thought I would have to sacrifice the fun and luxury that the more expensive cars have to offer but the Ibiza has proved me wrong. Whilst not a table topper in automotive luxury its enough for everyday use and welcoming to get in to. Would have liked heated seats for winter, should have gone for the LED lights, but in all a cracking little car well built and fun to drive in town or out on the roads.

I hope the review helps others, any questions on owning/driving/deciding on an Ibiza I would be happy to help with and if you got this far - thanks for reading.

Really insightful stuff thanks for taking the time.. where did you get the armrest and bulbs? My Ibiza is currently at the port so just a few weeks away now (fingers crossed) I do wish I’d picked the LEDs but it was the extra expense that put me off.

Last edited:

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
Really insightful stuff thanks for taking the time.. where did you get the armrest and bulbs? My Ibiza is currently at the port so just a few weeks away now (fingers crossed) I do wish I’d picked the LEDs but it was the extra expense that put me off.

When did you order mate? I ordered 11th June and still nothing

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
22 May I believe..

My dealer hasn’t been all that helpful with updates and answering any questions. I’d suggest calling Seat customer services directly and giving them your order number they can track it and give you an answer there and then. Ask your dealer if you don’t know the order number. I’m still unsure when I’ll get my car but they were much more helpful

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
22 May I believe..

My dealer hasn’t been all that helpful with updates and answering any questions. I’d suggest calling Seat customer services directly and giving them your order number they can track it and give you an answer there and then. Ask your dealer if you don’t know the order number. I’m still unsure when I’ll get my car but they were much more helpful

Can I email them?

My dealer has been very helpful but I am aware the Seat factory is closed from the 6th till the 26th. I was told on the 30th July there was no build week.

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
Yeah you can, although it took a few days for someone to email back asking for my
order number which I hadn’t been given before then, I replied once I had it and never got a desponse so just called.

That’s good he’s been helpful, I was told about the closure and when I asked my dealer if it would delay my delivery the response didn’t answer my question.. so I resorted to seat directly.

I’m impatient at the best of times but this is has been unbearable :cry:

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
I have asked for my order number today but I have been told Seat don't have the tracking service so I haven't got my order number.

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
They don’t have a tracking service on the website like VW do.. but if you call them they can say it’s last checkpoint in the chain like mine was at the port of Grimsby.

If they can tell me that there must be an element of tracking, but what do I know.

CallumFR

Jul 9, 2018
He's just checked again and still nothing so surely I'll only get the same answer?

Ibiza_Dan

Jul 25, 2018

Glad it helped!

The armrest was from ebay, I believe its the same one that fits in the Ateca and there is a thread on here (somewhere) about them and where you can get them. I will try dig out the part number if I can as it helped me locate it on the web. Was really easy to fit too.

The bulbs were from EuroCarParts but I am sure you can pick them up all over, even Amazon. I always pick up spares as they don't last as long as the standard ones but worth it in my opinion. Still regret not going full LED but hindsight is always a wonderful thing!

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
I honestly don’t know mate. You’d think your dealer can do everything seat customer services can do so yeah I guess so.

So do you not have any news at all no build week nothing?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.