Phone - Bluetooth Issues

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
I'm having some minor problem when using the Bluetooth on my MY64 Leon FR.
Everything works fine apart from the sound quality when listening to the other person. Both the initial ringing sound and then the speech breaks up quite badly. Normally my phone is either on the passenger seat or in the drinks holder cavity. Tonight I tried moving the phone centrally on top of the dashboard and it seemed to work better suggesting the range of either the phone or the car is poor.
It would be good if someone can advise what may be going on and a possible better solution as it is rather inconvenient at times.
Thanks in advance.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
I have the same issue when the phone is on charge, and it’s on the cradle near the radio. I now have to make a call with the phone in the drinks holders and without being on charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Do you have any Bluetooth headphones with a mic so you test the phone side of it? See if you get the same thing using something else Bluetooth.

Does it do it for other phones or just yours?

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Do you have any Bluetooth headphones with a mic so you test the phone side of it? See if you get the same thing using something else Bluetooth.

Does it do it for other phones or just yours?
Afraid I don't have any other Bluetooth equipment available to use. One thing I'll do is try my wife's Samsung phone (mine is a Nokia 5) and see if that is any better (or worse).
My experiment so far suggests it's a range problem although it's not very far away from the dash/radio which rather surprises me.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Like mentioned above could it be an interference thing? Whilst in a call what happens if you move your phone around the car... Does the crackling get worse?

Have you also tried removing your phone from the history of the unit and repairing from scratch?

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Did a total reset of the Bluetooth connectivity between the car and phone today and the problem is still the same.

I also experimented with making calls with the phone in various positions within the car. The only place where the sound is clear without distortion is with the phone sat centrally on the top of the dashboards.

What is curious though is that, even with the phone in a position where I hear distorted sound, the person listening to me speak is getting a perfect sound quality of my speech.

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
I have exactly the same issue except with an iPhone 8 (14 plate Leon). Never got the bottom of it, some days it seems OK and some days it’s quite bad. Putting my phone in the drinks holder does seem to make it better so I just put my phone there when I get in my car.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Do you guys have the Wifi Hotspot option I see in some cars these days (shares your phones internet inside the car for passengers)? If so is it enabled?

Also I wonder if it's a poorly shielded cable in the back of the unit (near the BT module)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Am I right in thinking that the stereo in the MK3 is just screen in the main console and the main unit is near the glovebox?

Are they easy to get to? Could you try and put some temp shielding on the power cable (not sure which unit has the BT in) to see if that helps?

Edit -

Does this screw with BT music being played as well or just phone calls?

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Am I right in thinking that the stereo in the MK3 is just screen in the main console and the main unit is near the glovebox?

Are they easy to get to? Could you try and put some temp shielding on the power cable (not sure which unit has the BT in) to see if that helps?

Edit -

Does this screw with BT music being played as well or just phone calls?

Yeah quite easy to get to and it’s just the screen and the main units in the glove box.

I’ve had the issue with music when playing a long mix through SoundCloud. Tbh doesn’t bother me enough to start pulling things apart to fix it.