removing the grit guard from cupra airbox

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Guys and girls does any body have the Airbox grit guard removed from there Airbox and if so
what are the benefits if any
any feed back would be welcome
cheers
GHB

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
As above.

Some people believe it helps produce a louder intake noise and adds an extra .5hp - all placebo.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Does it help, who knows, is removing it causing any harm, probably not! I've removed mine, also opened up the blocked off side of the intake duct!

Still, gotta be better than swapping for an open style filter!

Deleted member 103408

No Idea where the Grit Guard is (could somebody tell me please on the 280 ), I also opened up the blocked off side (as the R600 had it like that as do the later cupra models)

As regards to open style filter it depends what you are after and as a lot of people on here change lease car every 3 - 4 years they just want noise and I for one loved it.

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
No Idea where the Grit Guard is (could somebody tell me please on the 280 ), I also opened up the blocked off side (as the R600 had it like that as do the later cupra models)

As regards to open style filter it depends what you are after and as a lot of people on here change lease car every 3 - 4 years they just want noise and I for one loved it.

I believe it's there to help direct water/moisture away from the inlet at the bottom of the air box (it's located at the bottom of the air box).

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
[QUOTE="Nora2004, post: 4792004, member: 112869"also opened up the blocked off side of the intake duct!

[/QUOTE]

how did you go about doing that if you dont mind ?

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
I thought this thing was a snow guard if I remember some old discussions about it.

Why bother removing things that are gonna protect the engine and have naff all affect on power though?

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I just drilled in somes holes and then used a small cutting tool on a Dremel, followed the lines and done!
I thought this thing was a snow guard if I remember some old discussions about it.

Why bother removing things that are gonna protect the engine and have naff all affect on power though?[/QUOTE]
Not sure what it's protecting it from, no different from fitting an aftermarket filter system really, as for power difference, probably not much if anything, but more air into the turbo isn't a bad thing!

Reactions: Bedlam

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Not sure what it's protecting it from
Moisture in the air (apparently). I haven’t looked at the filter in question but I assume it’s paper and not some oiled cotton thing like a K&N?

One thing we can be certain of is that all cars are built to as low a price as possible. So they wouldn’t go to the effort of designing and including extra plastic and materials if they didn’t see a need for it.

I’ve often thought about using a K&N on my A250 but get put off by the fact the oil on the filter can be pulled into the rest of the intake and engine. Even it’s much bigger brother, the A45 is making all that power on a paper filter.
I guess it’s just down to personal preference in the end.

Reactions: Bedlam

Deleted member 103408

For what its worth I did this for the same reason get more air into the turbo for my stage 1 map.

I also saw that this was done on the R600 (Granted it has a Giant Tri Foam Filter) and I thought the 290 had this as stock from memory (but it was a long time ago now).

Lastly my latest Carbon Series Revo Air Intake has this side open to get more air in (granted it has a Revo Pro Panel Filter)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.