anyone done the cooled glovebox mod ?

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
i noticed on the Spanish forums they have been modifying the glove-box to fit a pipe and vent from a golf
just wondering if anyone has done this ?

i have to take mine out soon so may do this if its possible at the same time.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’ve done it - takes about 30mins and is a bit fiddly.

Just need to get the correct hose and valve which costs about £20 in total from VW direct or TPS.

The air flow into the glove box isn’t the best, but I haven’t done any vcds coding - not sure if it’s required but will be checking when I get my hands on a cable again.

Glove box has to come out, cap is taken off the air con piping, then connect the hose to it. The glove box already has the cut out so the valve just slots in place, connect the hose to the valve, and reinstall the glove box without disconnecting the hose :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leonlad

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I’ve done it - takes about 30mins and is a bit fiddly.

Just need to get the correct hose and valve which costs about £20 in total from VW direct or TPS.

The air flow into the glove box isn’t the best, but I haven’t done any vcds coding - not sure if it’s required but will be checking when I get my hands on a cable again.

Glove box has to come out, cap is taken off the air con piping, then connect the hose to it. The glove box already has the cut out so the valve just slots in place, connect the hose to the valve, and reinstall the glove box without disconnecting the hose :)

cheers mate.

do you know the part numbers as pretty sure someone else tried this and the pipe was too short ?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Sure, here they are:
Valve: 5EQ8163559B9
Hose: 3G2816311
The hose is actually a Passat hose, but fits perfect. I originally had the shorter hose, but one of my very good friends done some digging and found the correct hose.

I have the parts for @Damo H so we can do the mod on his car too :)

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sure, here they are:
The hose is actually a Passat hose, but fits perfect. I originally had the shorter hose, but one of my very good friends done some digging and found the correct hose.

Not sure why but your tag didn’t show in my notifications. I just came on here to tag you in the post myself :D

Need to start using Tapatalk again

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
I had tried this and for the life of me the golf hose wasn't long enough ..did you have the same problem ? Have the valve fitted and bought some flexible rubber hose as I was just going to use it but if there is a part that definitely fits I'd rather have it...
Sure, here they are:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I had tried this and for the life of me the golf hose wasn't long enough ..did you have the same problem ? Have the valve fitted and bought some flexible rubber hose as I was just going to use it but if there is a part that definitely fits I'd rather have it...

Yeah originally I had the same issue - bought the Golf hose but it was like 3cm too short.

My friend done some digging and found a hose which would fit: 3G2816311

It fits perfect.

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
Cheers, I'll get it from TPS this week...bound to be on back order

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’m sure I saw somewhere on here that there is some vcds coding to do for it too...

I could have imagined it though.

I think the airflow into the glove box is pretty much as powerful as a mouse breathing on you. But maybe the coding increasing it...no idea.

But it does keep my dashcam control screen nice and cool and my cocopop breakfast bar unmelted - so it does its job :)

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
When I had the golf hose on the flow seemed good enough, just hose too short. It's not really for any great need to have the glovebox cooled...just wanted to do it. It's like the polo sunglasses holder that fits into the slots in the glovebox lid.
Didn't really need that either but did it anyway.....

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
How could you risk chocolate getting into the seats??

Nothing gets chocolate out, see ..
cykbqpO.png

Jan 1, 2022
Sure, here they are:

Hey Paddy.

I ordered using the code 3G2816311 but the hose I have when I tried to install today seems too short I tried many different ways but I think I got the wrong/ shorter hose. Can you confirm that is defo the correct part code?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members