Timing belt change?

Lensesi

Aug 24, 2018
Could someone please advise when a timing belt should be changed please? I drive a 2014 seat leon 1.6 dsg automatic. Current mileage 76k?

Lensesi

Aug 24, 2018
Have now changed the timing belt along with the water pump, as is the done thing.
86k on clock.
Cost £350.
But there seems to be a bit of a problem since the change?
Before the change I was averaging 73 mpg, mainly motorway driving, but this has reduced considerably to about 64mpg?
The car does not seem to be idling any different, so to me it seems the belt has been fitted correctly? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It might not be the cam belt change that’s the reason for the increased fuel consumption. It might be due to filling stations now selling winter diesel which isn’t as efficient as the diesel sold at other times of the year. I’m assuming your car is a diesel as it has a cam belt and your mpg figures are very good.

When I drove VAG diesels, I found that my fuel consumption worsened by 10-15% when filling up with winter diesel, plus, during the colder winter months, it took quite a bit longer for the engine to reach normal operating temperature, which also had a negative impact on fuel consumption.

Are there any other factors that have changed that could also be having an impact, such as changing your tyres to a different brand, different tyre pressures, any other drivers using the car, roads more congested etc, etc?

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Have now changed the timing belt along with the water pump, as is the done thing.
86k on clock.
Cost £350.
But there seems to be a bit of a problem since the change?
Before the change I was averaging 73 mpg, mainly motorway driving, but this has reduced considerably to about 64mpg?
The car does not seem to be idling any different, so to me it seems the belt has been fitted correctly? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
You would know very quickly if the cam timing was out a tooth.

Reactions: Lensesi

Lensesi

Aug 24, 2018
It might not be the cam belt change that’s the reason for the increased fuel consumption. It might be due to filling stations now selling winter diesel which isn’t as efficient as the diesel sold at other times of the year. I’m assuming your car is a diesel as it has a cam belt and your mpg figures are very good.

When I drove VAG diesels, I found that my fuel consumption worsened by 10-15% when filling up with winter diesel, plus, during the colder winter months, it took quite a bit longer for the engine to reach normal operating temperature, which also had a negative impact on fuel consumption.

Are there any other factors that have changed that could also be having an impact, such as changing your tyres to a different brand, different tyre pressures, any other drivers using the car, roads more congested etc, etc?

Thanks for that, i did not realise there was a difference in the type of diesel used due to seasonal change. That would be roughly the percentage i seem to have lost.
There have been no changes in driving style or are there any other changes which I can see to be the cause.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members