Corrosion on front brake discs

Longshanks

Sep 7, 2018
I've had a Seat Ateca for just over a year (registered April 2017) and noticed a juddering when braking. My local garage had a look and said there was some rust on the discs so I took it to the dealer who confirmed this. I said that this should not have happened after only 15,000 miles so they showed me the discs. It was not just rust but deep pits and the surface layer was peeling off. As well as the large (50 pence piece sized) pits, there were a lot of smaller pits which were leading to further separation of the surface layer.
The dealer refused to fix this under warranty so I had to pay the full amount.
The car is parked outside but is used daily on trips usually of around 5 to 10 miles with some longer journies.
Has anyone else seen this or is it a rogue batch of brake disks?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I've seen it on my partner's fiat 500, but to be fair that's 3yeara old and only done 7201 miles..... It sat over winter and probably only did 10 miles, the discs rotted away basically as they don't have an protective coats (obviously)

Ps. It's a sh*t car hence the minor mileage, god awful to drive.

Unfortunately from a dealer perspective brake discs and pads are never a warrenty item but it may be worth you contacting seat customer care and talking about it as you're right, if it's regularly used they should be in that state

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Unfortunately from a dealer perspective brake discs and pads are never a warrenty item but it may be worth you contacting seat customer care and talking about it as you're right, if it's regularly used they should be in that state

This. I'd definitely be contacting Seat UK and see if they offer anything. My Cupra rear discs were 8 years old with 40k on them. I changed them cause they looked sorry for themselves. The garage said I should just have wire brushed them and put them back on. No way should discs go that early.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I had scoring of Front Discs on a 2016 Ibiza 1.2 FR. Went to see my local dealer and they swapped them out with no hassle and no charge to myself. I’d only had the car about 6 months and they were heavily scored.

One thing worth mentioning is that I’ve dealt with the dealer owner since 2000 and bought a lot of cars through him so maybe that had something to do with my case.

I’d definitely try Seat CS to see if they can help. No harm done if they say no but you might get lucky.

Tell

Staff member
I use to get it in my Altea alot in its 12 years ownership getting them changed at Protyres. I wasn't convinced that the ones they got from Europarts and other bits of the brakes were was good as Vag. Saying that in the first 12 months with the Altea the rears on oneside never made contact... Seat garage shrugged its shoulders saying that's normal...

So far my Ateca in its 22 months or so has been fine, no scoring yet. Its about 12,000 miles or so, so not upto your 15,000 miles. Its not something they like when it comes round to the MOT which is why I use to get Protyres sorting them out rather than at Seat costs but as said the components were not VAG by that stage.

The rust is normal after being parked up until it gets ground off during braking. I do notice I get less rust on the Ateca ones when parked up than I did with the Altea on its Europarts fit ones from Protyres. Its the scratching and the pits and judder that is the issue which the Seat garage locked onto and that's the MOT issue if it was old enough for that. So its pads and disks. Stones cause the scratching, pad wear. Defer to experts on this one :).

All I can say is I use to have them done every couple of years on the front on my old Altea. My Citroen before that was terrible with brake judder and wear on the disks. It didnt help when the co-driver did hard braking... you'd drive to Europe and come back with brake judder. Use to point my finger at too hard braking with the old Citreon.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members