Crazy dashboard lights after dead battery change.

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
Hi there, I'm having a bit of a strange problem with my Leon S 1M 2002.
I came back from holiday to find a dead battery, which I have now replaced considering it was already a pretty old battery.

After I put a new battery in, all the dashboard lights start flashing and emit a beeping sound. However this only happens when the car is completely turned off, as soon as I turn on the ignition or start the car they go away.

I did remove the whole battery compartment to check the earth and other cables near it for water or poor connection. The main one that connects to the negative terminal cable looks fine, although the two near it look quite rusty, but then again it was all fine before the battery change. Is there any more earth cables I should check?

A video of the problem (not mine although it is a perfect replica of mine)

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Not experienced this but trying to think it through, the difference between the 2 states is once the engine starts power is delivered via the alternator and then the problem goes away so the issue seems to be with the battery side of things. Equally if the lights went mad while driving, even at random, then the fault could lie with the control modules. But that's not the case so back to the battery.

Accepting that the new battery is good then that leaves connections. I would disconnect the battery and check the fuses that they are sitting well and no evidence of corrosion. Check all the leads, especially the earth. Don't rely on visual inspection. Undo them, clean and refit. Check for breaks.

If you have access to a multimeter to could use that to test resistance and continuity around the system.

And a diagnostic scan would be wise.

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
Okay, I have found out that while I was away the seal on the drivers door was poor, and water had got in. My floor mat is still wet to this point, so I'm guessing this is probably the cause of it. Are there any earth cables near the driver side that I should check, or anything else?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Okay, I have found out that while I was away the seal on the drivers door was poor, and water had got in. My floor mat is still wet to this point, so I'm guessing this is probably the cause of it. Are there any earth cables near the driver side that I should check, or anything else?
Read the comments mate. Something about new cluster or pull fuse 15 to stop the beeping/flashing with his issue. Only thing I could find on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise