Steering issues

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
The steering feels slightly heavier than I think it should but other symptoms are sometimes when turning it feels tight then a little knock and it feels like it frees itself.
I had a loud squeal on full lock but when I replaced the Air con compressor I turned the belt inside out which stopped that.
The steering wheel has gone off straight and I've noticed wear on the outer edge of the NS front tyre. As a way of eliminating things I took it for a wheel alignment check and they said it was too far out on the NS to be just tracking.
I've looked under and all the bushes seem good, nothing looks damaged and a crowbar couldn't find anything obviously loose.
I do recall whacking a kerb a few months back on that side.
Could the damage be in the steering rack? The fluid level is fine but have noticed a little misting on one joint.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I had a 57 plate Ibiza 1.2 sport that suffered what the dealer called premature failure. There was no impact damage it just gave up the ghost. It was so hard to turn the steering wheel that the car became totally undrivable.

In my opinion get it to a dealer and let them check it out. I was lucky and due to the fact I’ve bought so many cars from the same dealer, he spoke to Seat Uk and they replaced mine under warranty....even though the car was 4 years old.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I'm resigned that I'm going to need someone better equipped to check it over but a dealer's getting nowhere near my wallet!

I'm happy for the result you had but I don't think a 15 year old car will get the same treatment from Seat lol.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.