Non depreciating cars

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have long considered buying a second car for sunny days, owning it for a few years, and selling it on having lost no value, or even increased in value.
Something that would be garaged, not cover many miles, and be kept standard and in good condition.
Over the years I have noticed Lotus Elise / Exige models go up in value. A friend has a Lotus Elan that has doubled in value in 6 years.
I reckon the likes of LR Defender and even Freelander 2 will hold their value, albeit they aren't a fun second vehicle.
Anyone else got any suggestions or thoughts?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
My Porsche 968 Coupe fits into this category. Prices for them were rising quite quickly when I bought it over 3 years ago.
In theory it's now worth around a third more, not that I've had much serious interest.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
My Porsche 968 Coupe fits into this category. Prices for them were rising quite quickly when I bought it over 3 years ago.
In theory it's now worth around a third more, not that I've had much serious interest.
That is another excellent example. I used to work with a guy with a yellow 968 CS years ago, if he still has it, it must be worth a bit more! Any more modern Porsches under £20k that must have hit minimum value, and now becoming collectable?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
968 prices seemed to bottom-out around 6-7 years ago. That they are recognized as being of better quality, more practical and to most with good eyesight more attractive than the Boxster that replaced are the main reasons they are worth more these days.

Deleted member 103408

What sort of budget do you have for the second car.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i purchased a Skyline R34 GTT approx 3 years ago and spent a bit of money doing it up and sold it recently
Made approx 2k on it. These will go up in value as they will be available to the US market in a couple of years - you cant own one in the US due to some silly age rule (20 years if it wasnt available for sale in the US market).
Autos are cheaper than manuals btw so if this is within budget you'll have a lot of fun but will need deep pockets for regular maintenance/if something goes wrong!
a major service cost me nearly £1.5K!

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
i purchased a Skyline R34 GTT approx 3 years ago and spent a bit of money doing it up and sold it recently
Made approx 2k on it. These will go up in value as they will be available to the US market in a couple of years - you cant own one in the US due to some silly age rule (20 years if it wasnt available for sale in the US market).
Autos are cheaper than manuals btw so if this is within budget you'll have a lot of fun but will need deep pockets for regular maintenance/if something goes wrong!
a major service cost me nearly £1.5K!
Its rare to find skyline R34 these days which hasn't been modified in some way. R34 is a fantastic car, and that alone can be reason why it increased its value. You can get more for it if kept with care, maintained and stock.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.