Cupra 300 DSG Electronic Handbrake

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
start/stop disabled via Carista and auto handbrake kicks in whenever I'm stationary and press the brake. No clunks or funny noises when t releases on my diesel FR. I hate S/S and have heard that it doesn't do the crankshaft bearings any good. Who knows whether there's any truth in that but I'd rather not risk it for a thimblefull of diesel.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
start/stop disabled via Carista and auto handbrake kicks in whenever I'm stationary and press the brake. No clunks or funny noises when t releases on my diesel FR. I hate S/S and have heard that it doesn't do the crankshaft bearings any good. Who knows whether there's any truth in that but I'd rather not risk it for a thimblefull of diesel.

I'm at the point where the Start/Stop is being switched off each time I get in the car so I need to sort that permanently. Currently playing around with the auto handbrake being off, so I have to do a little thinking :headhurt:Strting to get the feel of the car the more I drive it.

Reactions: nick.buchan2

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Can the electronic handbrake be activated at any speed? I thought it would be so smart not to, so I tried to pull it at about 5mph in the garage, goddamn what a stop, I ended up in the steering wheel :1st: It even felt as if the front wheels were locked as well? Been wanting to try the handbrake at higher and higher speed but haven't had the guts :drive2:

GrahamW

As I approach 1k miles in my new Cupra ST, this evening at a set of lights, the handbrake wouldn’t release. Had to press the brake and press down on the handbrake button. Auto handbrake is on. Been fine until now. Seems that won’t auto dis-engage when pulling off. Tried in a car park too so a flat surface (no hill assist) and same thing. Just wont auto release.

Any ideas?

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
In my Leon ST when stopping pressing the foot brake a green light comes on the dash, flick up the switch by the auto button the light changes to red and I can hear the whine of the servo's on the rear wheels. I have the auto button on all the time, but the "handbrake" is only operated by flicking the switch up.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
As I approach 1k miles in my new Cupra ST, this evening at a set of lights, the handbrake wouldn’t release. Had to press the brake and press down on the handbrake button. Auto handbrake is on. Been fine until now. Seems that won’t auto dis-engage when pulling off. Tried in a car park too so a flat surface (no hill assist) and same thing. Just wont auto release.

Any ideas?
I don't think the "handbrake" is auto, you have to flick or pull the switch up which brings the red light on the switch and dash to be on. The switch with auto on it, is for auto hold ie when at traffic lights and the green dash light is on. Both should go off as you release the clutch and move off, the red indicator light for auto is on all the time unless you turn it off. Is it ok now or still doing it ?

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
Since it is a part of the emissions reduction system I wondered if it was a part of the MOT yet. Have a feeling it will be eventually.

Deleted member 103408

If your worried then turn it back on for the MOT and turn it off again after.

I would have thought as the whole VAG world are all turning it off I would have expected to hear by now.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
If your worried then turn it back on for the MOT and turn it off again after.

I would have thought as the whole VAG world are all turning it off I would have expected to hear by now.

It's now become part of my start up routine on any car I get into; adjust seat, put belt on, start car, select sounds of choice according to mood, select sport mode, disable stop/start,
Go.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Soooo..... when u get in ur car, as u bring clutch up to biting point, the handbrake automatically releases, regardless whether ur going forward or backwards.

If u have hill hold turned on, when u come to a stop, depress brake again and the hill hold will engage, basically holding the brakes on without u doing anything. A green icon shows on dash under DIS. U dont have to be on hill for this to work.

The actual handbrake will engage when u turn the car off or if u open drivers door automatically.

Short of it is u should never need to touch the handbrake button, unless the cars been setup to not release handbrake when u start to move.

One of the best features of the car IMO especially if u spend time in traffic.

S/S Im not bothered either way with it for the record!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Soooo..... when u get in ur car, as u bring clutch up to biting point, the handbrake automatically releases, regardless whether ur going forward or backwards.

If u have hill hold turned on, when u come to a stop, depress brake again and the hill hold will engage, basically holding the brakes on without u doing anything. A green icon shows on dash under DIS. U dont have to be on hill for this to work.

The actual handbrake will engage when u turn the car off or if u open drivers door automatically.

Short of it is u should never need to touch the handbrake button, unless the cars been setup to not release handbrake when u start to move.

One of the best features of the car IMO especially if u spend time in traffic.

S/S Im not bothered either way with it for the record!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I'm the opposite lol, I have turned the auto hold off on mine and use the handbrake as normal for 2 reasons. 1, it only keeps the brakes applied so now the nights are drawing closer and closer you'll be blinding the poor fecker behind which is one of my big bears on the road. 2, I find the auto hold doesn't actually hold the car on a hill at all and as soon as the clutch is anything other than fully depressed it releases the brake.

With the handbrake manually applied it holds the car, brake lights off as expected and holds it until the clutch is at the bite point and enough revs are applied to drive away, acting much more like the hill holds on cars past.

First electronic handbrake I've had so it's still loads less effort to flick a button than it is to pull a handbrake

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise