Anyone Cupra Owners gone from 19" wheels to 18" wheels

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
As above? Just wondering if comfort was much improved. I am considering do this as tyres are cheaper at 18" plus with the pot hole ridden roads 18s just seem to be that bit more stronger

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
I changed from my 19s to 18s about 6 months ago. Mainly this was down to wanting a lighter wheel and i could get hold of track based tyres for cheaper. I can't vouch for the comfort aspect though as i went from the continentals sc5 to ns2r tyres which have fairly hard sidewalls.

mm46

Mar 23, 2017
I went from stock 19" Pirelli to 18" PS4 (235/40 18 on OZ Leggera wheels). The comfort is certanly better but I wouldn't say it's night and day. I went for 18" mainly because I save 200EUR per set (18" PS4 vs 19" PS4s) and the wheels are lighter, especially comparing to stock. Also, the Michelins are much better tyres than Pirelli, especially in wet.
I posted some photos here https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....r-mk3-leon-in-here.444099/page-8#post-4782119

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I run 18" Nokian tyres in winter and 19" Michelin PS4S in summer. The 18's are definitely more compliant but unless you compare the same tyres on both sizes of rims it's difficult to give a definitive answer due to differences in sidewall stiffness.
If I were buying 18" summer tyres I would not hesitate to buy Michelin PS4's. However, I have read that the Goodyears (IIRC) in 18" have softer sidewalls and may possibly suit your requirements better.

I do love the look of the 19" wheels but if there was a factory choice I would go for 18's purely for practical reasons. The roads where I live are shocking and so is the quality of the repairs.

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Picking up my performance packed Cupra next week and just dropped off my 18" wheels today for the Conti all-seasons to be fitted. The 19s will (probably) go on next Spring. Just about enough room for some slim weights fingers crossed.

I'm doing this for grip and to save my 19s rather than for comfort reasons. Oh and to go covert for a bit...

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
The look on other people’s faces when they think you’re in an FR and then you boot it and leave them open mouthed and eating Cupra dust....haha
That happened to me a few times when I had the 18" FR wheels on in winter. The car became a real wolf in sheep's clothing and very few realised what was lurking under the bonnet, until it was too late.

Reactions: Maypack

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
First set of wheels appear to be a bit tight with the calipers, but I've got another 3 sets to choose from at different offsets so will hopefully find something.

I saw the car for the first time last week when dropping the wheels off. So covert I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out - but I had other things on my mind). Thankfully the tail pipes are black and hopefully no-one will notice the carbon as it fades into the distance.:moon:

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
Picking up my performance packed Cupra next week and just dropped off my 18" wheels today for the Conti all-seasons to be fitted. The 19s will (probably) go on next Spring. Just about enough room for some slim weights fingers crossed.

I'm doing this for grip and to save my 19s rather than for comfort reasons. Oh and to go covert for a bit...
What size and make wheels did you fit over the brembo brakes on the comp pack? Did you use spacers to clear them?

I am looking to do the same but I'm not clear how to find a set that clear the bigger calipers...

Cheers

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
I got some technical information on the Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2
18x8 will fit at ET40. They produce wheels in stepped offsets, the next being ET45 (which would require spacers) but they will manufacture specific offsets within the steps for a premium. I don't know whether the more commonly available ET45 and say some 3mm spacers would require bolts 3mm longer, 5mm longer, or whether the same length bolts can be used.

I think matt black works well.

Reactions: DrEv1l

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Forgot to say that balance weights are mounted further in to give more room between calipers and rim.

Reactions: DrEv1l

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Does anyone have any recommendation for tyre pressures for 18" setup on a Cupra ST with 4Drive?

38 Front, 36 Rear from another post.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.