Key Programming

IMBezza

Aug 25, 2018
Hi guys,

I've had no remote locking on my car since i bought it. The key battery was dead and when replaced the LED's work but the locking doesn't.

I thought that the key might need re-pairing with the car as it took me a while to get round to it. I've tried every pairing routine I can find for the Leon, Mk4 Golf, Fabia and A3 and not one of them seems to have worked.

I've also tried replacing any fuses which might relate to remote locking just in case but no joy (wishful thinking as all interior lights, windows etc still work fine).

Thinking I had a duff key I bought a replacement with a blank key but still cannot get any remotes to pair.

I've now got VCDS Lite and had a go with that - the old key gets a beep from the car when pairing but the new one doesn't seem to do anything. Even after the beep neither remote is working on my car.

I took the car down to seat and they want £84+VAT just to take a look and then, if they think it would work, they want £40 to link my old key and around £80 to link my new key (because it's a flip key).

Any one got any ideas or can tell me how can I check if there is an issue with the remote locking on the car or any other systems on the car?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
My guess would be the old key fob is knackered. When mine broke I could pair in VAGCOM (old VCDS) but the fob wouldn't unlock or lock the car. I had a spare flip key that I never got around to using due to getting the actual blank cut and the only way I could pair it was clearing/reseting so no keys were paired and then adding the flip key.

IMBezza

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks guys, disconnecting battery didnt work.

Sockpuppet, where did you get your key from? My original key is the same, the car says it is paired but it doesn't work.

I tried removing the original pairing and just trying the new remote but it didnt get a response from the car. Maybe they sent the wrong frequency :clown:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I got mine from ebay, it was so long ago I can't find the details. I think there is a flip key guide on here that give the correct frequency, I think it's 433 or 434 from memory.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
IMBezza - I'm in the same boat :-(
Key just stopped working all of a sudden so replaced the battery - no joy.
Called an auto locksmith out and he couldn't get a reading from the fob
Currently having to lock/unlock manually and putting the key into ignition position 2 to stop the alarm from blaring away!

If I get a key off ebay does it have to be new as I'm sure I read it shouldn't have been paired before?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
IMBezza - I'm in the same boat :-(
Key just stopped working all of a sudden so replaced the battery - no joy.
Called an auto locksmith out and he couldn't get a reading from the fob
Currently having to lock/unlock manually and putting the key into ignition position 2 to stop the alarm from blaring away!

If I get a key off ebay does it have to be new as I'm sure I read it shouldn't have been paired before?

Key doesn't have to be new but it does need a virgin transponder chip inside.

I have a used 2 button key somewhere and should have a chip too if anyone is interested

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/key-fob-replacement.426027/#post-4628612

IMBezza

Aug 25, 2018
hmmm... you said it needs a virgin chip. Does the chip need to be coded before the remote can be paired with the car?

So far i have only tried pairing my blank key/remote with an uncoded transponder. What are the chances it might work if I put the chip from my spare key in it? Am I pulling at straws here? :confused:

I had an auto locksmith out yesterday and he suggested the key is knackered and wasn't interested in trying the chinese ebay one. His only suggestion was a new key for which he quoted dealer prices! Couldn't even say whether it would work.

What are the chances that my cars remote locking just won't work?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
If the transponder in the old key is OK then you can transplant it into the new key and no programming required except to lock/unlock.
I don't think you need the key to be paired (transponder wise) in order for the unlocking to work although someone can correct me on that

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise