Strange noise on Cupra 300.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
Hi,

Not long owned my new Cupra 300 and I’m absolutely loving it.

However it seems to have developed a strange noise. When I have the windows down and turn left. I can hear like what seems to be a ‘clicking’ noise. Can only hear it when the windows are down and it seems to be coming from the front drivers side area. Can anyone shed any light of what it may be?

Cheers,
Sam.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Maybe a cv joint? I assume as you haven't had it long, your going to take it back in under warranty?

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
My Leon FR 2017 has that noise, Cupra 300 I test drove has it, my two close friends have 2017 S3 and 2018 GTI and they both have that clicking noise. Mine occurs mostly when wheels are turned the most during parking.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
Maybe a cv joint? I assume as you haven't had it long, your going to take it back in under warranty?
Yeah not had it long at all chap. But wouldn’t I be able to notice when driving all the time. Would surely be able to feel something through the steering.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
My Leon FR 2017 has that noise, Cupra 300 I test drove has it, my two close friends have 2017 S3 and 2018 GTI and they both have that clicking noise. Mine occurs mostly when wheels are turned the most during parking.
Hi, yes mainly notice it when driving slowly or parking like you say. What do you think it could be?

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
Honestly I don’t know. Since I saw it’s so common on other VAG cars I did not bother.

This friday I should pick up my 2018 Cupra 300 and return the FR so I’ll ask the dealer are they familiar with the problem which they sure are I think.
Don’t worry to much my car literally has that noise for over a year but nothing happened.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
Honestly I don’t know. Since I saw it’s so common on other VAG cars I did not bother.

This friday I should pick up my 2018 Cupra 300 and return the FR so I’ll ask the dealer are they familiar with the problem which they sure are I think.
Don’t worry to much my car literally has that noise for over a year but nothing happened.

I know I’m not worried at all. I just hate niggly little noises. It’s doing nothing to detriment the car but very annoying when you have the windows down at times.

Reactions: gof

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Sounds stupid but may be the tyres.

I had similar on mine from the passenger front, saw on here somewhere before it may be tyres and mine seemed to stop when I got some new rubber. It was only apparent at low speeds and with the window down.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
The car is brand new though so surely not. I think I’ve knocked something loose under hard acceleration? Maybe the brake pad carrier in the calliper?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
A stone stuck in the tyre tread?

I've done this before!!

The car is brand new though so surely not. I think I’ve knocked something loose under hard acceleration? Maybe the brake pad carrier in the calliper?

Well, let the dealer have a listen or give it a couple of hundred miles to settle in (if you haven't already). Doubt you've knocked anything loose. I've accelerated so hard I got out at Tescos because I thought I'd ripped the subframe in two (I hadn't). If you think the caliper is loose (I sometimes think this too - and it isn't). But just reach through the spokes and give it a pull in each direction and see if it has any play in it. It will likely have a little give, but not much.

Reactions: gof

markrtw

Mar 3, 2018
Northants
I get the noise and thought it was the lsd just making a noise when doing low speed manoeuvres on full lock due to the tension from the wheels on each side being at very different speeds (percentage wise).

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
I don’t know what it could be!? It’s teally annoying though and I’ve rather not it be there haha! Car is fantastic though.

liamleon

FRRR
Apr 26, 2017
my car has been in under warranty and they agree it's faulty but cannot diagnose the fault. sane car 1st March 2018 registered. many thanks

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
my car has been in under warranty and they agree it's faulty but cannot diagnose the fault. sane car 1st March 2018 registered. many thanks
Let us know what they say chap. I might get it on a ramp my self and just have a look. I’m convinced it’s something to do with the brake calliper.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Very weird... just noticed this yesterday on mine, sounds like a stone in the tyre but doesn't relate to a revolution of the wheel. More a constant click that doesn't really relate with speed.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
Very weird... just noticed this yesterday on mine, sounds like a stone in the tyre but doesn't relate to a revolution of the wheel. More a constant click that doesn't really relate with speed.
Weird ain’t it. But nothing serious I know. Surely it can’t be a normal because of it being so irritating.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Checked it out on a ramp at work yesterday... nothing's falling off so will mention it at the next service, hopefully will be a know fix by then

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise