Leon Cupra newbie....

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Hi all, picked up my 2015 Leon Cupra 280 yesterday and came on here as its a great source of information. Had a Seat Ibiza fr for 5 years before this and it was great, but have done my time in a diesel and what a change the Cupra is!! Love it already. Fast, practical and good on fuel when driving normally. Immediate plans are four new tyres plus balancing and alignment as the existing ones are cheap and nasty. Then some attention to the exhaust as the OEM backbox is looking a bit tired. Oh, and some interior mats!! Hope to get out to some meets at some stage too.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi, welcome to the forums. Weird how people buy high performance sports cars and put cheap tyres on lol. But you'd be surprised how often it happens. You picked a tyre brand? Oh and what colour did you go for? I went from a MK2 200bhp diesel to a MK2 270bhp petrol (now 370bhp). Love the Cupra, but miss the FR+.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Hi - i got a five door in silver, took me ages to find a good one but well worth it, need the practicality for family! The tyres on there at the moment are a brand i’ve never heard of on the rear, and ‘Nexus’ on the front. From doing a quick bit of research the opinion wasn’t great on these. Terrible in the wet apparently and considering its coming into winter i need to change. I have always used Pirellis before, on my EP3 type r and Ibiza fr, but the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4’s seem to be the ones everyone raves about so am swaying towards these. Going to search the forums and see what people think...?

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
Hi - i got a five door in silver, took me ages to find a good one but well worth it, need the practicality for family! The tyres on there at the moment are a brand i’ve never heard of on the rear, and ‘Nexus’ on the front. From doing a quick bit of research the opinion wasn’t great on these. Terrible in the wet apparently and considering its coming into winter i need to change. I have always used Pirellis before, on my EP3 type r and Ibiza fr, but the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4’s seem to be the ones everyone raves about so am swaying towards these. Going to search the forums and see what people think...?

Oh yeah they're a cracking tyre, it'll be night and day

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
but the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4’s seem to be the ones everyone raves about so am swaying towards these. Going to search the forums and see what people think...?

Yup, I second that, they are brilliant tyres. Loads of grip in the wet and dry. Really hold the corners well, even when its throwing it down.

Reactions: Superman001

Deleted member 103408

Michelin are a great tyre, I have them on all 4 corners and very happy with them in both dry and wet.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Excellent, sounds like i’m on the rite track! I’ll do some research and see what sort of deal i can hunt down.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
PS4's are £40 off when you buy 4 at Blackcircles at the moment, or Goodyear Eagle F1s £25 off for 4 (and they're already a pretty good price)

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
So after ‘a lot’ of research on the net on tyres and prices, i settled on what i started with! Ordered four michelin PIlot Sport 4S’s through Blackcircles and they were delivered two days later. Best price i could find on the net and they look like a quality product. I’m booked in with ‘Total VAG’ in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire for next Wednesday for tyre fitting, balancing, 4 point alignment and a full inspection to see if there is anything that needs attention on the car in general. Garage gets great reviews online and in the forums and the guy was really helpful on the phone so hoping for good things. Will post some pics and a review on here when its all done!

Deleted member 103408

Well in my humble opinion you have two of the best, The 280 and the PS4S they go together very well and as I have just come off a track day with these tyres on I can assure you they are very good. You should get a discount on the insurance because you have safe tyres :).

Enjoy the car and put up some pics when you can.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018

Did you happen to buy it from a car supermarket, and it have 39k miles? If so, I have been watching that one for a while, tempting myself to go and have look!

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
@Bendy - No i got it from a garage in Wiltshire, went down to see it the same day it was advertised and bought it there and then. Had 32,000miles on it. If you are after one of these and see one of the spec you want, go and see it asap as they sell really quick. They were still taking phone calls about my car a week later when i went to collect it even though it had been marked up as sold when i bought it. Imho, they look better than an R or S3, are not as common on the roads and are also cheaper to insure and run.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Update - so car went in yesterday for the tyres to be fitted, wheel alignment and a full inspection at ‘Total VAG’ in Leighton Buzzard. Lucky that i did as there was what looked like a fairly bad puncture repair on one of the old ones. There was also a fair bit of adjustment needed on the alignment, but the difference now is amazing. Road noise i’d say is roughly the same, but surprisingly comfort is improved and turn in and general handling is a world apart from the old budget tyres already, and they aren’t properly run in yet. I dealt with Greig at ‘Total VAG’ who was spot on and a really nice guy. Pricing is good and i got the impression that what they didn’t know about VAG cars isn’t worth knowing. You know you are in the rite place when one of their customers with a new Lamborghini takes it there for them to look after - it was on the lift when i arrived. I am going to sell two of the old tyres as they have loads of tread left and possibly the one with a repair on it if someone knows or is a tyre fitter, they may be able to save it. Anyone interested let me know!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.