Third Party Maps on Apple CarPlay

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
Finally, come iOS 12, we'll be able to use third party map applications like Google Maps and Waze with CarPlay!

Don't know about everyone else but I'm definitely not a fan of Apple Maps. I usually use the built in SatNav but it's not great for finding some locations so I've found, and Google Maps is certainly better for finding the clearest route and self-diverting around congestion!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17416932/apple-carplay-third-party-maps-wwdc-2018

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Yes, I saw that information and I’m very pleased as I’m a big fan of Waze, it’s traffic and re-routings are way better than all the others. Although Apple Maps supposedly use TomTom they are very poor.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
Yes, I saw that information and I’m very pleased as I’m a big fan of Waze, it’s traffic and re-routings are way better than all the others. Although Apple Maps supposedly use TomTom they are very poor.
I've not actually used Waze before, would you recommend it then?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
OOOooookkk---- I missed those news!! :) Maybe I will now start to use CarPlay more - I got an iPhone as a work phone, but mostly been using Android Auto with my personal phone. One of the deciding factors was the absence of a good navigation app on CarPlay.
Will follow with interest :)
...as to the question in the post above mine, I personally use Waze with Android Auto and it works just great. I think it will be hard for Apple to beat the integration of Waze with Android Auto, but let's see...

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
OOOooookkk---- I missed those news!! :) Maybe I will now start to use CarPlay more - I got an iPhone as a work phone, but mostly been using Android Auto with my personal phone. One of the deciding factors was the absence of a good navigation app on CarPlay.
Will follow with interest :)
...as to the question in the post above mine, I personally use Waze with Android Auto and it works just great. I think it will be hard for Apple to beat the integration of Waze with Android Auto, but let's see...

Waze with CarPlay when available should be identical to the Android Auto integration as the Waze apps are fundamentally the same. I might sign up for the IOS Beta test program so I can try it earlier than September.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I use apple maps on carplay quite a lot and it always seems pretty good to me for navigation. I like how it can dynamically offer to reroute you as you're going, telling you how much time it'll save, and I like the lane guidance that was added recently too. Plus, being able to say "Hey siri, take me home" and it just opens maps, picks and route and gets going is fantastic :)

For me, it's 100x better than the built in navigation. I've never tried waze or google maps for nav but I'd be interested to do some comparisons (especially with waze) when it arrives.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Just to make everyone aware, if you now update your iPhone to iOS12 and update the Google Maps app it will now work with Apple CarPlay!

10 times better than Apple Maps, traffic is much more accurate and the map is more detailed.

I feel like my car is now complete with this feature added!

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Just to make everyone aware, if you now update your iPhone to iOS12 and update the Google Maps app it will now work with Apple CarPlay!

10 times better than Apple Maps, traffic is much more accurate and the map is more detailed.

I feel like my car is now complete with this feature added!

Just had a play with mine too

I normally use the installed Sat Nav. Does using the Google Maps app use much data?

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Just had a play with mine too

I normally use the installed Sat Nav. Does using the Google Maps app use much data?
I use Google Maps all the time, usually just with my phone in it’s holder (not anymore!) and it’s used a total of 2.0GB in the past year or so according to my settings. So very minimal really.

I find it much better than the built in satnav, especially with traffic.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
To be fair, the built in satnav is only slightly better than asking your non-map reading partner to navigate, but at least it doesn't argue back!

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Used Google Maps with CarPlay today for a round trip to Sheffield over the Snake, bl**dy atrocious weather.

Google haven’t announced when they will be updating the Waze app for CarPlay, I much prefer it, so I’ll be using that when it becomes available.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've just started using waze after recommendations on here and first thoughts are that I prefer it to Google maps. Does pretty much he same thing through android auto but appears to have speed camera alerts which I don't appear to have on Google. I'm happy with both but after an awful experience with the standard nav last weekend I won't be using it again, plus even with the most current maps installed, it still wont have new road layouts which both waze and Google maps do so that's just another nail in the coffin for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
Apple control the basic look and feel of Nav apps on CarPlay, so Google Maps doesn’t look a lot different to Apple Maps, and neither will Waze.
It is early days but I like the traffic jam delay estimate pins on Google Maps. Waze’s traffic jam progress bar is one of my favourite features on iOS, but I doubt that will carry forward to CarPlay.
Apple has the edge for the moment with suggested likely destinations, but as the others do that on iOS I’m sure it will come on CarPlay too.
One thing I definitely hate is the khaki green main turns panel in Google Maps - yuk.
It will be interesting to see if Waze bring their social controls to CarPlay, such as accident reporting, or the speed limit/current speed display.

Reactions: ryzzey

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
It saved me from a camera fine recently.
I've just started trialling both waze and Google maps after the seat nav pi$$ed me off beyond belief on a recent trip. Have to say, I prefer the voice and the imagery of Google maps but it has no speed camera alerts whereas waze does. But waze looks a bit too cartoon like for my liking. Decisions decisions lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk