Timing belt, what would you do?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
2008 FR TDi, approx 77k on clock, had since new so you can see the miles I do isn't much on average.

Timing belt was done at first recommended interval (4/5 years?) so I think in theory it should be getting done again this year?

Thing is, I might be changing the car next year, so based on this and given I don't do many miles, do I just get it serviced and mot'd and 'take the risk' or in my situation would you also get the belt done? I know it's a bit of crystal ball stuff, but 'if' I change it next year I suppose I'm looking on the timing belt expense as something I could have avoided. And should it go, that would simply force my hand re changing car.

Thoughts/advice please.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It's not just mileage you need to take into consideration. The interval is set at 5 years because rubber detoriates over time and therefore weakens. Plus, there's a lot of people more in the know these days (or on the forums). The first thing I asked when I bought my current car was "has the timing belt been done?". So if your planning on selling private, it might trip you up.

Reactions: red line fun

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Yeah this is the thing. If I was intent on keeping the car another 2+ years I'd be getting it done no question. I suppose it's because I'm thinking of changing next year and the thought of expense vs taking risk of leaving existing belt in. Your point is valid though if I was to private sell. Knowing me though I'll be lazy and just trade-in if they'll take it, so not sure a dealer would bother as a car of that age would just be going to auction?

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Perfect bargaining tool as a buyer, whatever it costs I would expect at least that dropping from the price.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise