Looking to buy.. Advice please.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
I had the Seat ibiza fr 2lt diesel for 5 years. They have issues with the egr valve on the common rail diesel engine which went on mine and cost £600 to replace. Then the replacement started to fail. I’m not sure they have rectified the issue on the newer diesel engines so i’d stay well away unless you are running long journeys with high yearly
Mileage, i’d estimate 15k+. I part ex’d for a Leon Cupra and love it so far

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
Dr Dash - Thank you, your input has been really helpful, certainly something to think about with the wheel size.

Thanks everyone for your input, its really insightful and a big help. We've been a given a 1.4 TSI ACT (150) on 17" today and were both really impressed at how responsive, powerful and fun the car was. We also tested a 2.0 diesel on 18", the ride seemed a little harder but not too noticeable, maybe it would be more so on a long journey though. Mum's decided though that the 1.4 FR is the way she wants to go though so that has been really helpful. There are two at the moment we're looking at. The first is a 14 plate 1.4 TSI ACT 150 FR 5dr on 17" and the second is an 65 plate EcoTSI 150 FR 5dr alloy size unknown. The only difference I can work out from the dealers website is that the newer car is listed with a 6.5" colour touch screen and sensor, voice control sensor and iPod connection where they are missing on the spec of the older Leon. Also the insurance group on the newer 2015 car is one group higher; 21E as apposed to the 20E of the 2014 car. Does anyone have any info on why this is? Was is that the car was updated in 2015? There is only £1000 difference between the cars, so its leaving me feeling a little mind boggled!

We're in no rush to get anything thankfully!

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
The 65 plate would be the better option.

Something worth haggling with is full link as i think it is possible on a 65 car. Its about £150-200 to activate normally.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Yeah probably better to go for the 65, I have a 64 plate and I do wish I had the newer media system because mine is a bit pants. Newer ones are much more responsive, and they're a bit of a nightmare to change to a newer version so the extra £1,000 should be worth it.

Unless that is the newer car has 100,000 miles or has just been written off...

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
The 65 plate has less miles on it so that's another plus for that too Sorry to sound ignorant but what is full link?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
The 65 plate has less miles on it so that's another plus for that too Sorry to sound ignorant but what is full link?

Full Link is the ability to connect an Android or IPhone to your car. This allows you to use apps from your phone on the infotainment screen (Google Maps, Spotify, Apple Music amongst other).

I have full link and can use the steering wheel controls to move through my Spotify music on my phone.

If the car doesn’t have it already enabled it’s usually a cost by the dealer to activate it (the only way it can be activated). If it’s not activated on the car you might be able to get the dealer to activate it as part of the purchase deal at no cost to you or your mum.

Reactions: russbellrfs

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Older Leons had a 5.8" Sat Nav Screen (I know as I used to own a 63 plate Leon), and the Usb port was in the not so useful glove box. I believe the newer ones has the usb / 3.5 mm near the gear shift in a more useful location and the 6.5" screen (which is higher resolution). So yes, go for a 65 plate and 1.4 EcoTSI. Highway journey @ speed limit, it shouldn't be too difficult to get over 50mpg, even pushing 60+ mpg if you have some 50mph zones. Eg...means London to Manchester driving and around £20 in fuel.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Yeah my 65 plate I got full link activated , as I use apple carplay and android auto!! And I do have the 6.5 inch screen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Agreed. My 65 plate had the bigger screen with full link activated.

I’ve heard very good things about the 1.4. act engine.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Agreed. My 65 plate had the bigger screen with full link activated.

I’ve heard very good things about the 1.4. act engine.

That’s why I have one, and have just ordered a new 1.5 Evotsi!! Love my car, decent performance and not bad economy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members