FR sport suspension, is it really so stiff?

ZeBix

Oct 2, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a used Seat Leon ST and I've seen many 1.8 FR Technology on sale at some good prices (I'm in UK). But I have read here various discussions on how the sport suspension can be quite hard and sometimes unbearable. I will mostly drive on motorways and in town. I usually drive smoothly albeit at a good pace, because that's my driving style but mostly because I have a baby and a quickly road-sick partner on board. So can I go for the FR suspension or will that not suit the 'family style'? Thanks for your feedback!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It's not really that sporty, to be fair. The standard suspension has been lowered a bit, so there's a little less travel and the ride a tad firmer.

The biggest ride difference will be in the wheels, the less rubber then the firmer the ride gets. Drive a car with 18" wheels and another with 17" and you'll notice the ride improvement. In the UK potholes are the worst hazard you'll encounter, crashing over them isn't fun with very low profile tyres.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I’ve had two FR’s 14 plate and 66 plate both 1.4 and both used as a family car.

I’ve never noticed a hard suspension and no one ever commented on how hard the ride was. Had car seats in them and no issues at all. I did A road B road and Motorway driving in both.

All I can say is try one with your family onboard and see what comments you get.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
SWMBO has a 2018 FR ST on 17's and it's pretty good: less harsh in fact than the Ibiza FR it replaced, but I guess the longer wheelbase helps. Tyre pressures also make a difference. Inflated to the 'comfort' settings it's pretty compliant.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Would in no way call the suspension on the FR anywhere near unbearable. Mine is in the 18's and its fine for everyday use. There are some roads where you feel it more than others, but still happily use it everyday.

As said tyre pressures make a big difference. I have mine quite high as its almost always only me driving it, but would lower them for some more comfort if I was hauling a family around

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
For what it's worth I have a Cupra 300 on 19's and don't find the ride to be overly harsh... The FR suspension won't be as hard so I think you'll be fine.

Stringster

Mar 30, 2017
My last car was a B7 A4 Sline and Audi seemed to have forgotten to fit any suspension.

The Leon FR is fine for family duties.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
My last car was a B7 A4 Sline and Audi seemed to have forgotten to fit any suspension.

The Leon FR is fine for family duties.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Audi suspension is known for being overly-stiff on the S Lines. Presumably to aid with stability when tailgating the car in front, or when cutting in front of someone on a motorway without indicating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Audi suspension is known for being overly-stiff on the S Lines. Presumably to aid with stability when tailgating the car in front, or when cutting in front of someone on a motorway without indicating

Lol, but be fair, it's obvious that indicators are an expensive extra-cost option on Audis.......;)

Reactions: Tully1980

ZeBix

Oct 2, 2018
Thanks everyone, this is really reassuring. Next step is to book a test drive!

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I had the 1.4 FR (so without the multi-link rear suspension) and if I am honest I found it unnecessarily firm. It wasn't crazy firm, but I just didn't think a car with 140ps needed any sort of sports suspension. Of course, the 180ps+ models come with the multi-link which I understand makes it more compliant (so ironically, the higher power models ride "softer").

I now drive a Cupra and I think the suspension might actually be more compliant than the 1.4 FR in comfort mode, but it's then compromised by the 19" wheels... Not that anyone would ever do it, but the Cupra with 17" wheels would probably be as comfy as an SE :blink:

RCampbell1

Jan 8, 2017
UK
The suspension on my FR184 was actually pretty soft. It had a fair bit of body roll when you chucked it into a corner and when you hit a hump in the road at a reasonable speed it pogo'd down the road afterwards for ages. Maybe it was something to do with being the ST

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
The tyres have a lot to do with how a car rides.

My mum’s GTD was much louder on 18 inch wheels than my leon is on 19s, because whatever tyres the car came with were loud and hard. The car was transformed when we put some michelins on it. Night and day in my opinion.

The FR suspension is acceptable to me, and even with 19 wheels I find my leon to be comfortable and quiet, but the Dunlop eagle f1 Asymmetric 3 tyres have good ratings for comfort and noise.

If the car you’re buying is going to need new tyres soonish, then I recommend comparing a few different tyres to get the characterists that you want.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've had my 17 plate 1.4 fr since my little boy was 6 months old so perfectly adequate for a family car.

I never understand those that think the ride is too firm let alone unbearable. I'm on the 18s and don't find it to be anywhere near too firm. Imo if you think it's too firm you should have bought the excellence rather than the fr. If you're buying the sportier model, expect sportier suspension!

My Mrs has never complained about it being uncomfortable so if she's comfortable it can't be that bad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Current Leon is probably the softest riding and most compliant of recent cars I've owned. As somebody mentioned earlier the fully independent rear actually makes it feel softer.

It's certainly no where near 'unbearable'

Saying that it depends what you are used to. I had Koni and Bilstein equipped Vauxhalls in my youth so the Leon is a limo in comparison.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Lol, but be fair, it's obvious that indicators are an expensive extra-cost option on Audis.......;)
That's why they went the dynamic indicators route...you need to wait for it...and before the indicators have reached from the inner edge to the outer edge, the driver would alreayd have turned into your lane!

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
To add my two penny worth, I find the suspension on the 1.4 FR (2018) to be just right for everyday motoring, not in the slightest uncomfortable but compliant enough to make the roadholding more than acceptable.I might add that I’m no spring chicken so aligned more to comfort than sportiness in my everyday car, I have a ‘hard as nails’ sports car for the ‘fun factor!’

silles

May 4, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a used Seat Leon ST and I've seen many 1.8 FR Technology on sale at some good prices (I'm in UK). But I have read here various discussions on how the sport suspension can be quite hard and sometimes unbearable. I will mostly drive on motorways and in town. I usually drive smoothly albeit at a good pace, because that's my driving style but mostly because I have a baby and a quickly road-sick partner on board. So can I go for the FR suspension or will that not suit the 'family style'? Thanks for your feedback!

If u can, find one with dcc. Its a must have in my opinion
Had the Fr without it. It thought it was OK. Until I had the cupra with dcc

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
If u can, find one with dcc. Its a must have in my opinion
Had the Fr without it. It thought it was OK. Until I had the cupra with dcc
Is/was it available on the fr or limited to the cupra??? If it was available for fr then I imagine it's a pretty rare option to come by.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Our Arona FR has 45 series 18's on and it's much more compliant than the Cupra. OK, it's got a bit more susp travel, but it's also 200+ kg's lighter. It's on Pirelli P7s, which I'm quite impressed with on that type of car.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.