LED Headlights

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
Same year different issue are you sure this is dust? Is there pic you guys can post I cannot access the one from 2017. I have a major issue with micro cracks in the acrylic lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Same year different issue are you sure this is dust? Is there pic you guys can post I cannot access the one from 2017. I have a major issue with micro cracks in the acrylic lens.

I will have a closer look later and see if i can confirm but when i last checked it definitely
Looked like debris in the headlight unit itself.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018

Well, seems like you were correct. I wiped over the headlight lenses and buffed them out as best i could with a micro fiber cloth. Looked as close as i could and it would appear that the marks i could see are thousands of tiny cracks in the front of the lense. I have a 6 month warranty from the garage i bought it from so will give that a try but am far from hopeful. If thats a no go i’ll complain to Seat. Its already effecting the power of the lights and sounds like a manufacturing defect....?? Anyone else have other ideas....??

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I'm not sure if this can be done on the Cupra lights. But I had such bad dust build up in the headlight of my bike that it failed a WOF check (MOT to you). I managed to split the clear cover from the reflector by warming the entire assembly in hot water, remedy the problem and reattach the two bits with mastic adhesive.
This is a bitch of a job, and I wouldn't recommend it to those with a short fuse. But it did save me hundreds of dollars.

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
Well, seems like you were correct. I wiped over the headlight lenses and buffed them out as best i could with a micro fiber cloth. Looked as close as i could and it would appear that the marks i could see are thousands of tiny cracks in the front of the lense. I have a 6 month warranty from the garage i bought it from so will give that a try but am far from hopeful. If thats a no go i’ll complain to Seat. Its already effecting the power of the lights and sounds like a manufacturing defect....?? Anyone else have other ideas....??

I’m sure there’s a post on this somewhere but cannot find it. Micro cracks or hairline cracks could be due to a number of things. In my case it could be a cleaning agent, I once used neat windscreen washer fluid however my rear lights are fine. Intense heat can be an issue and once cracked possibly vibration from driving. Mine are getting worse each time I look at them!

I’ve searched in many places for an answer to the point where it looks like there’s no remedy apart from headlamp replacement which isn’t viable at the moment. There has to be someone out there who can replace the clear lens or separate the casing.

Only use car wash soap and water on headlamps. Most windscreen washer fluids will indicate if they are safe for use in headlamp washers.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I had my light off due to excessive condensation which started to pool water in heavy rain and eventually the light stopped working.
This was due to a hole caused by overtightening a screw which had pierced through the unit when the car needed some work on another part of the engine.
Think it was the OP who said Seat said there is some sort of ventilation hole.
I've checked for this and can't see one it looks a totally sealed unit, there are 2 removal caps but Seat advised these should never be opened and that they have stickers on them so Seat can see if they have been tampered with.
Maybe you can chance it and remove the caps and get a hoover in there to see if that works.
I wouldn't risk heating the lamp to separate the lens as looks quite difficult the way they are put together.

If last resort you do need to buy a new headlight the cheapest place that do them I could find was off autodoc for around £330 depending on the discount they are doing on the day although the new light will be brighter than your old light as the drl/headlight fades/yellows over time/use.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
I had my light off due to excessive condensation which started to pool water in heavy rain and eventually the light stopped working.
This was due to a hole caused by overtightening a screw which had pierced through the unit when the car needed some work on another part of the engine.
Think it was the OP who said Seat said there is some sort of ventilation hole.
I've checked for this and can't see one it looks a totally sealed unit, there are 2 removal caps but Seat advised these should never be opened and that they have stickers on them so Seat can see if they have been tampered with.
Maybe you can chance it and remove the caps and get a hoover in there to see if that works.
I wouldn't risk heating the lamp to separate the lens as looks quite difficult the way they are put together.

If last resort you do need to buy a new headlight the cheapest place that do them I could find was off autodoc for around £330 depending on the discount they are doing on the day although the new light will be brighter than your old light as the drl/headlight fades/yellows over time/use.

I won’t have an odd one out issue as both headlights are equally as bad so will both need replacing. It is really noticeable at night. I’m still to contact the warranty company and Seat so will update when i have progressed that. Just checked ‘autodoc’ and they have them on there for £420 per unit which is really good, cheaper than ebay parts going. Will keep that in mind as may have to revisit there in the future!

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
If you do buy offoff there download the app as they normally have like a 23/24% discount and is more than if you buy off the website.
Dealer quoted me £900+ for 1 which is a rip off

Reactions: ryzie0212

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
If you do buy offoff there download the app as they normally have like a 23/24% discount and is more than if you buy off the website.
Dealer quoted me £900+ for 1 which is a rip off
Excellent cheers, will do that now!! Checked on my warranty and as expected they are classed as a serviceable item so not covered. Waiting a call back from the dealer to see if they will have it in to assess.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Little bit difficult to see in daylight, but the dusty effect in the lenses you can just about see is inside the unit itself. They are the sealed LED units with all tamper seals in tact for the rear access pannels.

Attachments

• E381ECD2-E239-41CB-BFD7-72A3A6D68ADE.jpeg
    E381ECD2-E239-41CB-BFD7-72A3A6D68ADE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 487
  • 779BA270-0363-42BD-B0A3-FAC660742EAC.jpeg
    779BA270-0363-42BD-B0A3-FAC660742EAC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 486

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Well Leon's tend to have condensation in the rear right LED light cluster tail-lights. I guess their seals aren't all that...

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
Little bit difficult to see in daylight, but the dusty effect in the lenses you can just about see is inside the unit itself. They are the sealed LED units with all tamper seals in tact for the rear access pannels.

Yep that’s not dust I have the same issue. Will take some pics tonight. I wonder how long until mine will fail it’s MOT. Looking head on they’re ok but from the side it looks awful, shame because I really like those lights.

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Yep that’s not dust I have the same issue. Will take some pics tonight. I wonder how long until mine will fail it’s MOT. Looking head on they’re ok but from the side it looks awful, shame because I really like those lights.

Yes totally agree, as a product they look great, but at night mine look awful because of this issue. I spoke to a VW master tech friend of mine who has seen this before, but only once and that was authorised on warranty for replacement. We’ll be lucky with older cars for any sort of good will, but if you don’t ask you don’t get, and such a good bit of kit shouldn’t go like that after such a short time. I’ll be booking into Seat for an assessment and see what they say

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
Here it is. It’s terrible, definitely got worse over summer. Perhaps I will enquiry with seat but it’s a MY13 car.
5fd207e0ce6225d5ce70cb904ff1bb1f.jpg
5103659548acec3390d7c374289c6689.jpg
0e50e04fccaf9ed3d72328437ebc436c.jpg
14c96b27bfa6a4ce0e299460be0f039d.jpg

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
That doesn't look great at all, mines a 2013 and I'm on 118k - 90 miles commute to work everyday for the past 3 years and they don't have any dust in them.
I don't understand how that much dust can get in them as there isn't even a way for it to get inside from looking at the back of the lights due to it being sealed.

Seat should really honor warranty on this as the manual states they don't need any maintenance for the lifetime of the car, yet they told ryzie they are a serviceable item :s

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
That doesn't look great at all, mines a 2013 and I'm on 118k - 90 miles commute to work everyday for the past 3 years and they don't have any dust in them.
I don't understand how that much dust can get in them as there isn't even a way for it to get inside from looking at the back of the lights due to it being sealed.

Seat should really honor warranty on this as the manual states they don't need any maintenance for the lifetime of the car, yet they told ryzie they are a serviceable item :s
It was a seperate independent warranty company that told me that, standard 6month jobbie i got with the car. Seat should sort them, if they offer me nothing i’ll complain. My X-trail has done more mileage, is the same year and has sealed LED headlights and they are fine!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Tricky one this, all 'sealed' lighting units must in fact have a breather fitted (to prevent it cracking seals as the unit expands and contracts due to heat) but the breather should have a filter fitted, to prevent dust and moisture being sucked in.

Given that I've had to dry my 2018 FR headlights out twice already, after condensation appeared on cold mornings, I'm not so sure the manufacturer remembered this step. The tamper seals on mine weren't even stuck down, so taking the rear caps off for a couple of hours in the sunshine was easy.

But, the chances of the lights pictured failing an MOT is small, until there is a significant loss of output - if you think of how fogged a headlight has to be before it fails. My daughter's yaris has both lights yellowed and you can barely see the reflector, but it still passes an MOT.

Reactions: Royston

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
Mine have the same. What do you think about polishing them with a headlight kit? To me it looks like small dots caused from stones. Same what you see on the front windshield when you look to the sun.

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
Mine have the same. What do you think about polishing them with a headlight kit? To me it looks like small dots caused from stones. Same what you see on the front windshield when you look to the sun.

I wish it was that straight forward. It’s in fact crazing of the clear acrylic. The cracks are not on the surface or inside but within the acrylic. I’ve had a close inspection, my rear caps have a tamper stickers but they’re peeling off but no point in me opening them. Interesting to find where the vent could be. I have no condensation issues maybe on cold mornings but this clears up rapidly.

I’ve heard about seat customers service. Do I dare contact them or talk to my dealer first, I didn’t spot it when I bought the car and I’m sure I would have if it was that bad.

It’ll be good know how some of us get on with the claims whether under warranty or not.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members