Rim Blades.... Yes or No..?

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
OK, so this morning I managed to do what everyone dreads... I kerbed my wheel :(

I was trying to pull in to avoid a UPS truck which obviously wasn't going to give way, and in the process I scuffed my nearside front wheel...

I've already booked the car in to have the wheel refurbed (otherwise it will start to look very tatty very quickly and I'm only 2 months into a 3 year lease!).

I've been half-tempted to get some rim blades, and kerbing the wheel today has made me wish that I'd bought some when I first thought about it..!!

What are your thoughts? Do any of you have rim blades on your car? What are they like and how much protection do they offer? I realise they won't protect the rim from everything, but wondered whether they were worth getting to offer protection against the sort of thing which happened to me this morning...

For reference they'll be going on an Eclipse Orange Cupra 300 (19" wheels).. .I'm a bit stuck as to what colour I should go for... Any advice or opinions gratefully received!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Been there, done that. Twice. I also then considered rim blades. But... I don't see how they would be strong enough to prevent damaging the wheels on concrete. Plus, I don't think they look that great. Unfortunately, I don't really have any advice except do what I do. Get your wheel refurbed then drive down the center of the white line and don't move for anyone! :yes:

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Been there, done that. Twice. I also then considered rim blades. But... I don't see how they would be strong enough to prevent damaging the wheels on concrete. Plus, I don't think they look that great. Unfortunately, I don't really have any advice except do what I do. Get your wheel refurbed then drive down the center of the white line and don't move for anyone! :yes:

I know what you're saying - unfortunately (like this morning) these things just happen! Stupid UPS van!

I'm not a huge fan of rim blades and I know they wouldn't protect the rim from heavy kerbing, but they're designed to protect them from light scuffs (ie. getting a bit close to the kerb when parking!).. I might just get a set being as they're only £30, and see how I get on with them.

The way I look at it, spending £30 on something a bit naff is better than spending £100 every time I kerb the wheel..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I know what you're saying - unfortunately (like this morning) these things just happen! Stupid UPS van!

I'm not a huge fan of rim blades and I know they wouldn't protect the rim from heavy kerbing, but they're designed to protect them from light scuffs (ie. getting a bit close to the kerb when parking!).. I might just get a set being as they're only £30, and see how I get on with them.

Yeah, I had to drive up a high kerb because I was holding up an ambulance. Ironically I paid £75 to get the wheel sprayed (water got under the paint and it peeled off). So in the end I just paid to have all 4 wheels powder coated.

Ah, I thought they were £30 each! That doesn't sound too bad. Not very original, but I'd go with orange to match the bodywork. Or go with black if you want to hide them.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Ah, I thought they were £30 each! That doesn't sound too bad. Not very original, but I'd go with orange to match the bodywork. Or go with black if you want to hide them.

Yeah I was going to go for orange because it looks to be a pretty good match for the bodywork. And yes, £30 is for a complete set (Pros are £50 but they don't come in orange). A complete set is enough to do 4 x 22" wheels.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Pictures when you've done it.

Just ordered some Rimblades Scuffs now, in orange so that they match the bodywork of my Cupra.

I had actually booked the car in to have the wheel refurbed, but the scuff is so minor that the Rimblades will hide it until I can afford the £100 to have it done... Which may be a good few months as we're about to have our bathroom replaced..!

I'll post some pics up once I've got them on.

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
Make sure their on properly!!! i have literally just had one come off this weekend on the motorway leaving black scuff marks around the wheel on the front wing! Decided to just take the rest off as i don't want damage to the paint work!

Luckily i drive a black car and most of the scuffs have rubbed off but I'm just not gonna take the risk of it scratching or denting the bodywork when another one comes off. gonna take the risk and just refurbish wheels if i scuff them i think!

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Make sure their on properly!!! i have literally just had one come off this weekend on the motorway leaving black scuff marks around the wheel on the front wing! Decided to just take the rest off as i don't want damage to the paint work!

Luckily i drive a black car and most of the scuffs have rubbed off but I'm just not gonna take the risk of it scratching or denting the bodywork when another one comes off. gonna take the risk and just refurbish wheels if i scuff them i think!

Thanks for the heads-up..!

I'd read a couple of reports about them coming off, so I'll be sure to clean the rims to within an inch of their life before I apply them

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Tully1980....I have some rim blades fitted on my cupra 300 but I went for the more high end option of alloygator rims. Yes they are more expensive than the norm but they have done there job fantastically against me rubbing any of my alloys along the kerb. They don’t stick on, first of all they get made up to the size of your alloy(mine19”) then you deflate your tyre knock the rim on then inflate your tyre again job done. Had all four done at a local garage. They are very tough and do a great job and I don’t think they look to bad either.
IMG_0127.JPG
good one
IMG_0128.JPG
scuffed one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SierraTango

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Tully1980....I have some rim blades fitted on my cupra 300 but I went for the more high end option of alloygator rims. Yes they are more expensive than the norm but they have done there job fantastically against me rubbing any of my alloys along the kerb. They don’t stick on, first of all they get made up to the size of your alloy(mine19”) then you deflate your tyre knock the rim on then inflate your tyre again job done. Had all four done at a local garage. They are very tough and do a great job and I don’t think they look to bad either. View attachment 1930 good one View attachment 1931 scuffed one...

Ah ok, I'd seen Alloygators but never really thought any more about them. Sounds as if they mount to the rim better than the Rimblades.

I'll see how I get on with the Rimblades first

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Tully1980....I have some rim blades fitted on my cupra 300 but I went for the more high end option of alloygator rims. Yes they are more expensive than the norm but they have done there job fantastically against me rubbing any of my alloys along the kerb. They don’t stick on, first of all they get made up to the size of your alloy(mine19”) then you deflate your tyre knock the rim on then inflate your tyre again job done. Had all four done at a local garage. They are very tough and do a great job and I don’t think they look to bad either. View attachment 1930 good one View attachment 1931 scuffed one...

Remind me to check them out on the 13thOct at the meet up

Reactions: Deano j1971

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
So.. I’ve just fitted the Rimblades.

I went for the “Scuffs” as recommended by Rimblades. Fitting was very simple, you just have to ensure that the rims are spotless before you begin. Rimblades supply 4 cleaning wipes with the kit.

Next, you have to apply the adhesion primer. Again, Rimblades supply 4 primer wipes with the kit, so this is easy.

I know that Rimblades have recently changed the formula of the 3M adhesion compound that they use, and first impressions are that they stick AMAZINGLY well to the rims. The trickiest part I found was trimming them at the end, and then pushing the 2 ends together to form a good seam. I struggled a bit with the first wheel but the other 3 were fine once I got the hang of it.

I’ve taken a few pictures just to give an idea. Personally I think they look good - I went for the orange to match (or nearly match) the bodywork, and also to highlight the rim so that the wheels didn’t end up looking smaller (which they would have done if I’d bought black ones).

03ba8f79fa6a726748cc996da8c7a6c1.jpg
53a5b78c1a75f06bac58568674886a2c.jpg
a86bf0e3106bd12e54d969314e38457c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Legojon

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
For the price of then I'd say "why not" but for me just get black ones or same colour as the alloy.

Not a fan of coloured ones

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
The only is that the style of the cupra alloy is that t might stick out a bit further than the rim blade, towards the centre.

Whether u would ever come across a kerb that high though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
The only is that the style of the cupra alloy is that t might stick out a bit further than the rim blade, towards the centre.

Whether u would ever come across a kerb that high though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The alloys don’t stick out towards the centre