Leon Cupra K1 wont start - with fault codes - ignition switch?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

My 2008 Leon Cupra K1 wont start!

Always been fine on the button, then the other day it didn’t do anything when I turned the key. Tried again a couple of times, holding it on the turn it then almost slowly turned over and started. Drove it fine then when I turned it off, it wouldn’t start again.

I don’t think it’s the battery as it had one a year ago and the headlights don’t dim when I turn the key, just nothing.

I then thought maybe the starter, but there is just nothing, ignition lights on and a possible electric noise but nothing.

No initial error codes, so I did a full scan on VCDS and got bits on address 16 steering wheel.

5 faults found relating to ignition switch with codes:

00885 Ignition Switch 012 Electrical fault in circuit – intermittent.

Its now stuck on my parents driveway!

Any ideas? Possibly a loose connection? I can strip the steering column at the weekend and have a check, but?!

Many thanks in advance for any help

CB

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Maybe immobiliser issue? older VAG's had a long and torrid history with shitty immobiliser problems

Also might be a loose connection
Is there a main earth point for the dash? Might be a good place to start?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Ok cheers

Is the immobiliser key related? as in unlock it with the spare manual key and see if it starts?

Kinda hoping its a loose connection as dont fancy getting involved with the steering wheel and air bags!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Nah the old VAG issues with the immobiliser were with the actual units themselves.

When mine went in my old Ibiza I used to have to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds before the immobiliser would recognise it and start the car.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Cheers mate

I've had a mess about with it just now and actually think its the starter.

When I turn the key the click I am hearing is from the starter...which would lead me to believe power is therefore getting from the ignition switch to the starter? I held it on and a little smoke then came from one of the wires, so power deffo seems to be going to it.

Not sure it makes a difference but its a 2008 done 68k and the starter does actually look quite sh1tted up, rusty water mark, corrosion white crappy stuff on the outside?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Checked wiring and seems ok.

I've got all except the bottom 18mm bolt out! Can it all be done from the top?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
To answer my own question...yes you can!

Looks like water has been dripping on it from the bonnet when it's rained so corroded it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise