Fog light fitting guide (Facelift)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So, you’ve swapped your horrible yellow DRLs and Sidelights to nice white LED. But now the fog lights don’t match. In only 30 minutes using only a trim tool, a Philips and a flathead screwdriver, you can remedy this abomination.

You’ll also need a set of HB4 9006 bulbs (for facelift). I believe pre-fl is HB3, but please check your manual!!

First take out the Philips head screw (don’t touch the hex screw!!).

JHjZASo.jpg

Then shove your trim tool below where the screw hole is, and give it a tug.

mFrhEZJ.jpg

Nothing? Give it a bigger tug. You’ll literally feel the trim “peel” away. When you get to round the actual fog bulb, I found it easier to reach through the hole where the light goes and pull from the inside.

xZLM0ZJ.jpg

With the entire trim remove, it’s time to remove the fog light. Drivers side twists anti-clockwise. Passenger side clockwise.

JWuuADa.jpg

This is where I almost stuffed up. I twisted using the strength of a single male brown bear of average weight and could hear the plastic cracking. That’s because you have to get the flathead and push the tabs in slightly at 12’oclock and 6’oclock. Then it practically fell out on me.

sxfZED5.jpg

6EJkXYP.jpg

Then we can push down on the tab and pull the electrical connector off. Don’t worry, it’s nowhere near as bad as the usual VAG connectors.

zJ0plhM.jpg

Eq6Ohoj.jpg

AFEVhX5.jpg

The bulb itself twists out, just look at the back and you’ll see how it’s held in.

PH7ZiC9.jpg

Put the new bulb in and test it actually works before you put it all back together!

jJbaFDt.jpg

nyQOL9x.jpg

To reinstall, just reverse the process. You’ll feel the foglight twist and click back in. Then align the two tabs at the side of the trim and work back towards the screw clicking it in as you go (don't be afraid to push harder if it won't click - just make sure it's correctly aligned). If your still having trouble, bend the trim slightly in the direction it fits to help align the tabs.

5lxwBv0.jpg

Don’t overtighten the screws as it’s only plastic it’s going back into. Stand back and enjoy!!

hgEMfSr.jpg

eySpN2E.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyMackers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Good work!

Are you suggesting that you have the strength of a single male brown bear? That's not bad going haha

Sticky sticky sticky

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Are you suggesting that you have the strength of a single male brown bear? That's not bad going haha

Once. When trying to remove the rear hub I summoned forth the power of 20 bears. I have to be past furious though for that to happen. And I haven't been able to since. Might be an age thing.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
@Legojon sorry to bump a year + old thread, but do you remember where you bought your white bulbs for the fog lights? I'm looking around for one that won't throw up an error but am struggling to find one.

Also, I assume they do but want to double check, do these new bulbs dim and light up slowly when indicating or turning the wheel like the OEM ones do?

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Nice one thanks! I'm glad I found this guide too, I wasn't aware that pre-FL and FL had different bulbs.

Yeah, and loads of conflicting information. Eventually I just took a gamble but luckily got em right first time.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.