Is anyone using Eco mode on their Cupra

bluehandle

Feb 28, 2011
I know this is an oxymoron, but I was just curious. I set up my individual profile as per Comfort but engine as Eco and it's not a bad system actually. Drops the revs right down to idle, and does an OK job finding the right gear when you hit the gas.

I'm not sure how much fuel you actually save, but when you're stuck on a 50 or 60 road with nowhere to overtake, you may as well save the planet.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know this is an oxymoron, but I was just curious. I set up my individual profile as per Comfort but engine as Eco and it's not a bad system actually. Drops the revs right down to idle, and does an OK job finding the right gear when you hit the gas.

I'm not sure how much fuel you actually save, but when you're stuck on a 50 or 60 road with nowhere to overtake, you may as well save the planet.
From my understanding of how the car works this in fact will use more fuel, which is why I don’t use it. Maybe it’s different on the manual.

But if you’re in gear and lift completely off the throttle, no fuel is being put into the engine as the engine braking begins to slow you down. You can then put your foot on the gas to continue or start to brake.

In eco mode it disengages the clutch and then idles. Idling uses fuel. If you then accelerate it then has to blip the throttle to the right revs and engage the clutch, using more fuel. Again if you brake, it does the same so it doesn’t jolt when engageing the gear.

So I can’t see how disengaging the clutch saves fuel.

bluehandle

Feb 28, 2011
Interesting.

If you are at 2500 rpm and let go of the accelerator, then a fuel must be being used otherwise the engine will stall wouldn't it. No fuel, no spark, no nothing.

In Eco you're actually coasting, and so engine braking isn't slowing you down so you can go further when off the accelerator and 650 RPM is using less fuel than 2500 RPM.

I'll have to look into this fuel supply cut off when in normal mode.I didn't know about that.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Interesting.

If you are at 2500 rpm and let go of the accelerator, then a fuel must be being used otherwise the engine will stall wouldn't it. No fuel, no spark, no nothing.

In Eco you're actually coasting, and so engine braking isn't slowing you down so you can go further when off the accelerator and 650 RPM is using less fuel than 2500 RPM.

I'll have to look into this fuel supply cut off when in normal mode.I didn't know about that.

If you are in auto mode and lift of the throttle, if the revs get to low it changes down a gear automatically, no stalling. It may use fuel to blip the revs for the lower gear if you're in sport mode.

Edit sorry didn't read your whole message

Fuel being used at idle coasting out of gear over a distance is going to use fuel.

Coasting in gear is going to use no fuel, but admittedly you may slow down more.

So what's going to use more fuel, going from say accelerating from 55 to 70mph having used no engine braking but fuel on idle and then fuel to blip the throttle up to the right speed.

Or

Accelerating from 50mph to 70mph having used engine braking but no fuel on idle and no need to blip the throttle.

On a safety note, in all my driving lessons i was always taught not to press the clutch in an emergency stop until i was already braking. Those small moment of engine braking when moving from accelerator to brake pedal may make all the difference from an accident to avoiding one.

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Interesting.

No. The engine is still connected to the drive train and is being driven by the cars momentum. That's called engine braking. Crack the throttle, add fuel and the engine starts driving again.
An idling engine uses fuel, an engine with the fuel shut off doesn't.

Reactions: Damo H

Incognito Pete

Oct 6, 2018
I Can't use eco mode much because I already use individual setting for 'cupra but with comfy suspension.'
Means I have to go into a menu to find and change it, which is annoying if I'm driving.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I've been trying it over the past couple of weeks myself (I have a manual though) and I'm still needing to fill up at the exact same time, so it's not saving me any money. I think I notice a decrease in performance, but nothing huge.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I use it quite regularly, usually as money is getting tighter at the end of the month haha...

If driven properly you really can save a fair bit of fuel, but you really have to change the way you drive. Coast at all opportunities, but I have notice I end up a lot more stressed by the time I get home. If someone pulls out on you and you have to slow down and speed up it's all pointless...

I would say on my commute home, motorway for 15 miles then 10 miles of stop start and traffic lights. Driving normally in cupra 30mpg, driving hard in cupra 23mpg and perfect run in eco at 70mph on motorway and a lot of coasting, 38mpg.

Also the 300 on a steep hill will stop the coast and start engine braking whereas the 280 would just let you roll and speed up as much as you want.

In my opinion it's not worth the hassle but if needs must in my case it does save a bit of fuel

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've tried it on the manual, under the individual settings but it just tells me to change gear earlier.

Probably more useful on the DSG.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Never had it out of Cupra mode since I got it in August lol, what does the Sport setting do differently to the Cupra setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Never had it out of Cupra mode since I got it in August lol,

Same here! Had my 300 since the end of July. I'm averaging 32.5mpg now, with up to 42-43mpg on the motorways, and that's with everything in Cupra mode apart from the DSG which is in Drive and not Sport (unless the mood takes me!).

My average mpg has actually gone down slightly since I've had the Stage 1, but that's because of extra power which obviously drinks more juice when I decide to use it ;)

Reactions: cupra300uk

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Same here! Had my 300 since the end of July. I'm averaging 32.5mpg now, with up to 42-43mpg on the motorways, and that's with everything in Cupra mode apart from the DSG which is in Drive and not Sport (unless the mood takes me!).

My average mpg has actually gone down slightly since I've had the Stage 1, but that's because of extra power which obviously drinks more juice when I decide to use it ;)

I think my average is 37mpg, don’t drive quite as fast as you I reckon will hopefully have the balls to remap it one day... (VWFS permitting of course ) and getting a bloody splitter on but don’t want to damage the car too much

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Time for a forum name change @ibizafrSY4 lol. Maybe Cupra300SY4?

I tried to change it to that but I’m not sure how to! When I go on edit profile and change name I have it as cupra300uk (my Instagram page) it says that it’s saved but nothing changes also my picture can’t be changed for some reason lol is there something I’m doing wrong?

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Time for a forum name change @ibizafrSY4 lol. Maybe Cupra300SY4?

@Maypack
d85d2ff0823666542de2889a02e42384.png
!

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
I tried to change it to that but I’m not sure how to! When I go on edit profile and change name I have it as cupra300uk (my Instagram page) it says that it’s saved but nothing changes also my picture can’t be changed for some reason lol is there something I’m doing wrong?

You'll have to ask @Syphon about the name change, your TapaTalk username is entirely seperate, as for your profile Image I'm guessing you're changing the TapaTalk one too

Reactions: cupra300uk
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.