Virtual Cockpit vs 'traditional' speedo/rev gauges... help or hindrance?

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
I have been offered a Cupra ST 300 with Virtual COckpit and having seen them (but never owned one) I am extremely torn about whether I think they are a feature worth having or not. On the one hand, they provide everything from customisable speed and trip information to full map views within your forward peripheral vision. On the other hand... they are also a distraction not only for your attention but I also worry if they glare somewhat when night driving.

Additionally, I have worries about if the electronics or power fail... you then literally cannot see anything? What are the chance of that vs experiencing a failure with an "old skool" analogue? To me the best solution I have seen seems to be the hybrid solution with analogue dials with a colour digital screen in the middle that shows basic car trip info and directions etc. I also like the fact that traditional analogue gauges have visual depth, consistent size and are readable at the slightest glance.

So if you please I am interested to get some other opinions. What are your thoughts on virtual cockpits... essential driving tool, distracting gimmick, or something inbetween? :)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have been offered a Cupra ST 300 with Virtual COckpit and having seen them (but never owned one) I am extremely torn about whether I think they are a feature worth having or not. On the one hand, they provide everything from customisable speed and trip information to full map views within your forward peripheral vision. On the other hand... they are also a distraction not only for your attention but I also worry if they glare somewhat when night driving.

Additionally, I have worries about if the electronics or power fail... you then literally cannot see anything? What are the chance of that vs experiencing a failure with an "old skool" analogue? To me the best solution I have seen seems to be the hybrid solution with analogue dials with a colour digital screen in the middle that shows basic car trip info and directions etc. I also like the fact that traditional analogue gauges have visual depth, consistent size and are readable at the slightest glance.

So if you please I am interested to get some other opinions. What are your thoughts on virtual cockpits... essential driving tool, distracting gimmick, or something inbetween? :)
On the power failure front, it’s no different really from any electronic fault with the speedo.

However I’m sure I’ve heard that if there is a fault your speed is displayed on the central screen. That could be something I’ve drempt though.

On the distraction front however I can agree that I suspect that maybe something that can happen. When I collect mine I plan to run the sat nav as I do now, map on the central screen, with directions in between the Rev counter and Speedo.

The massive advantage for me is being able to have the oil temperature for me and the digital Speedo my wife likes on the same screen.

simaservis1108

Jan 4, 2018
If you dont like the Virtual Cockpit,I would gladly exchange analog cluster that I have with yours...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gof

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
I have the virtual cockpit in my Cupra 300 SC and love it! I don’t find it distracting at all and it is fairly bright but I wouldn’t say that it’s distracting enough to be classed as dangerous, and there’s certainly no glare from what I’ve experienced. Having come from an analogue setup in my 2015 Ibiza FR it’s a huge improvement and can’t fault it as of yet

Rocco

Jan 10, 2018
The Netherlands
There seem to be some issues with the VC as shown here;
209101259-w988-h556.jpg

MY2019 models have a revised version of the VC that also offers new display modes (at least for the Cupra models) as shown here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1975779905815224&type=1&l=caed2c2304

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
There seem to be some issues with the VC as shown here;
209101259-w988-h556.jpg

MY2019 models have a revised version of the VC that also offers new display modes (at least for the Cupra models) as shown here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1975779905815224&type=1&l=caed2c2304

This is exactly what worries me.

That new VD coming in 2019 looks better than the current one, very sharp.

Seen that on the Ateca CUPRA. And was expecting it to come to the MY2019 Seat Leon Cupra. Still waiting on confirmation.

Do you mean the Mk4 Leon Cupra or a Mk3 produced in 2019? I am guessing that a Cupra model won't be released until a year or so after the Mk 4 standard Leon is released?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
The CUPRA Ateca is due December. It has those gauges. Hoping the MY19 Cupra with the new brand's influence gets the update too.

SEAT are releasing a new model every 6 months until 2020 apparently.

The CUPRA brand have hinted at their next release being smaller than a Leon. They've already designed a concept for the CUPRA Ibiza.

With the last refresh of the MK3 Cupra happening I wouldn't expect it until the end of 2019 or 2020.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
The CUPRA Ateca is due December. It has those gauges. Hoping the MY19 Cupra with the new brand's influence gets the update too.

SEAT are releasing a new model every 6 months until 2020 apparently.

The CUPRA brand have hinted at their next release being smaller than a Leon. They've already designed a concept for the CUPRA Ibiza.

With the last refresh of the MK3 Cupra happening I wouldn't expect it until the end of 2019 or 2020.

Do you mean that Seat are releasing a new model of VC every 6 months? If so can we get our VC software upgraded at a Seat dealer?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Do you mean that Seat are releasing a new model of VC every 6 months? If so can we get our VC software upgraded at a Seat dealer?
No sorry we've got our wires crossed...

No, seat are releasing a vehicle model every 6 months.

There is a chance that the updated Digital Cockpit (DC) could make it's way to the MY19 Cupra.

That aside at the end of July it was announced that the DC had made it's way to the ibiza and arona.

They seem to have updated the software for them

https://www.seat-mediacenter.com/ne...s-Digital-Cockpit-to-the-Arona-and-Ibiza.html

I don't know if the software would be updated for older models.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
All your analogue clocks are electronically driven too. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me tbh, take it or leave it.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
With the exception of the models with digital dash as standard, in this day and age its much cheaper to produce a digital display compared to an analogue dial system, especially one where the increments at the upper end of the speedo change over the range - strange that the auto manufacturers would charge a premium for this?

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
All your analogue clocks are electronically driven too. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me tbh, take it or leave it.
Electrically driven is not the same as an electronic display.

I went to look at a Cupra with virtual cockpit last night and there is a clear difference in legibility. Analogue dials are so much easier and more natural to read as they are actually 3D objects and have depth.

The only positive thing about a virtual cockpit that I could see was having the satnav and infotainment stuff there. Otherwise I prefer analogue dials with a middle digital display.

Unfortunately, all new Cupras have it so I guess I'd better get used to the idea of having it. It also doesn't help that the screen used in the Cupra is not particularly great quality and black levels are not so deep.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The only positive thing about a virtual cockpit that I could see was having the satnav and infotainment stuff there.

The other massive potential benefit is that you can completely change any aspect of the display with a software update. The dials are also faster reacting so technically more accurate.

I prefer ye-olde clocks too but I reckon all dashboards will be digital soon. Not because they are better but because they will be cheaper.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The other massive potential benefit is that you can completely change any aspect of the display with a software update. The dials are also faster reacting so technically more accurate.

I prefer ye-olde clocks too but I reckon all dashboards will be digital soon. Not because they are better but because they will be cheaper.
Wasn’t it the Lexus that had to have a tft display because it rev’d quicker than a mechanical dial could cope with?

Dyno2012

Nov 4, 2017
Electrically driven is not the same as an electronic display.

I went to look at a Cupra with virtual cockpit last night and there is a clear difference in legibility. Analogue dials are so much easier and more natural to read as they are actually 3D objects and have depth.

The only positive thing about a virtual cockpit that I could see was having the satnav and infotainment stuff there. Otherwise I prefer analogue dials with a middle digital display.

Unfortunately, all new Cupras have it so I guess I'd better get used to the idea of having it. It also doesn't help that the screen used in the Cupra is not particularly great quality and black levels are not so deep.

I've had the digital dash on mine for 7 months now, the first digital one I've used, and have had no problems with legibility at all either night or day. Not distracting for me in practice either. I think it's a much better idea than mechanical given the flexibility.

My only criticisms are that the panel is slightly small so the map in the middle of the large dials is tight and that the display doesn't change to match the driving mode. Seems such a shame that switching to Cupra doesn't stick the rev counter in the middle and spice things up - the new version seems much better and I hope mine can be updated.

All in all though very pleased I have it, having had traditional for the last 35 years!

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Wasn’t it the Lexus that had to have a tft display because it rev’d quicker than a mechanical dial could cope with?

You’re right it was for the V10 LFA as it rev’d too quickly for analogue dials

Reactions: kazand and Damo H
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.