Cupra brand logo

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Who ever decided to get rid of the well established and liked by owners flag logo for the Cupra needs to seriously take on board the comments on this forum and many others in other owners forums (e.g. Spain) IMO.

The flag logo has stood the test of time and still looks as good today as it did when it was 1st introduced 20 or so years ago. The new Cupra Tribal logo looks dated now in 2018 (circa 90's when the tribal theme became a thing) and can you imagine how it will look in 20 years time?? it's not a badge that has long term life IMO.

Please Please Please SEAT listen to your customers and fans, lose the Tribal logo and lose the copper. Take the comments on this forum and others that Copper isn't a well liked colour. No owners vinyl wrap their cars badges in copper. If you want to make a separate Cupra brand then fine but keep it's heritage Flag logo don't get rid of it. After all did FIAT create a new Abarth logo or use the old one?

AlexOS

I think that it should definitely be retained for the my19 SEAT Leon Cupra’s being produced post week 42... we all purchased the car WITH the flags and are now losing them for no good reason.

Very few of us are happy with the copper additions we didn’t sign up for, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not have the flags on the car, even if updated to black..

I ordered my car 9months ago and am still going to be waiting at least a month more for delivery but so far I have been given NO communication from Seat about the changes, I have received most of my info from this very forum, and have actually informed more people at Seat than is reasonable.

As Wings988 said, they have had the flag on all Seat Cupra’s for over 20 years, why remove them from the last few cars of the series?!?!

I understand that they want to differentiate the new CUPRA branded cars from those that went before, but I have a SEAT Leon Cupra on order.. it’s a Seat branded car and I always expected the flags as they are what shows the car to be the sports model it is, I haven’t bought a CUPRA branded car!!

I expected my car to come with Silver Seat logos and silver/black/red Cupra flags, but I am now receiving a car with Copper Seat badges and ONE black flag on the front grill.. no flags inside or on the boot!!!

Listen to your customers Seat!!!

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The flag logo has stood the test of time and still looks as good today as it did when it was 1st introduced 20 or so years ago.

Flag logo has been around since about 2014, There has been a previous "flag" like logo for the "R" on MK1 LCR and MK2 LCR. But previously its just been a "Cupra" badge in lettering.

SEAT Sport have also used flags in the background.

I think however the current flag design would look terrible in the middle of a grille as a badge. Might as well of gone with a yellow shield with a black toro in it with some flag in background.

Cupra are heading towards electric cars so an "old" badge heritage badge wouldn't really fit their futuristic views.

I'm not a massive fan of the new badge but it works better with their electric approach than a heritage one would

Last edited:

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Flag logo has been around since about 2014, There has been a previous "flag" like logo for the "R" on MK1 LCR and MK2 LCR. But previously its just been a "Cupra" badge in lettering.

I think however the current flag design would look terrible in the middle of a grille as a badge. Might as well of gone with a yellow shield with a black toro in it with some flag in background.

Cupra are heading towards electric cars so an "old" badge heritage badge wouldn't really fit their futuristic views.

I'm not a massive fan of the new badge but it works better with their electric approach than a heritage one would

I agree, I know Cupra has been about since 1996 and they had an older style flag logo on the Ibiza R and Leon R. I don't see why going electric needs a new badge. The Jaguar ipace still uses the same grill badge as other models and even has the Cat leaper logo that they certainly used in the 1950's maybe earlier (I'm just not a Jag nerd to know when exactly). I doubt many manufacturers will drop their badge for the electric ranges, certainly Nissan, Renault, Toyota, Jaguar haven't, doubt Porsche or VW will either.
I can see Cupra badges being like the Christopher Ward watch logos, a new one every couple of years to keep it looking fresh ;)

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017

I agree, I think a basic flag would look sh*t in the centre of a grill. If it were my decision. I'd have a generally badgeless grill with just the flag in the bottom corner, like now, then I'd just have cupra lettering on the boot in a nice font. You'd obviously then have to reimagine the boot release a little but it keeps the design simple. Triumph have simply been using the word triumph on their bikes for many years now and it looks clean and with subtle font changes looks timeless too.

The only issue with this is that from the front, it'd just look like a standard leon with a badgeless grill and no real stamp or presence from cupra as a new brand.

In terms of the badge as it is, I don't like the design but I do like the colour, however it has to be on the right colour car (notice how they always show it on a grey or white car). Any other colours other than full on black, and I think it will look awful. Something else for us all to mod though .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I agree, I know Cupra has been about since 1996 and they had an older style flag logo on the Ibiza R and Leon R. I don't see why going electric needs a new badge. The Jaguar ipace still uses the same grill badge as other models and even has the Cat leaper logo that they certainly used in the 1950's maybe earlier (I'm just not a Jag nerd to know when exactly). I doubt many manufacturers will drop their badge for the electric ranges, certainly Nissan, Renault, Toyota, Jaguar haven't, doubt Porsche or VW will either.
I can see Cupra badges being like the Christopher Ward watch logos, a new one every couple of years to keep it looking fresh ;)

What you are mentioning though are companies who have added electric cars to their line up. SEAT aren't. Cupra is a new brand hence the new badge. In a few years they want to be creating cars that aren't just rebadged SEAT's.

Car companies need badges, a badge that reads "CUPRA" would look rubbish on a front grill as would a square flag badge.

CUPRA is to SEAT what DS is to Citroen.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
I love the fact that so few on here will get this reference! :worship:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Guessing they change their logo a lot? I'm a watch guy but cant say I've got any Christopher Ward ones.
I'm not really surprised - most collectors/enthusiasts haven't either! They were founded about 10 years ago and have, so far, had four distinctly different logos. Hardly conducive to creating an easily-recognisible brand identity...

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm not really surprised - most collectors/enthusiasts haven't either! They were founded about 10 years ago and have, so far, had four distinctly different logos. Hardly conducive to creating an easily-recognisible brand identity...
I was considering getting a C.Ward once and talked myself out of it. They do some nice looking watches and the price is good for the movement (engine) they use. In the end though they have very little heritage and keep changing logo's which annoyed me. They don't hold much residual value either, probably for the reasons previously stated and no loyal following for the same reasons. SEAT's Cupra brand draws so many parallels. In the end I got an Omega and I'm very happy with it, the price is now way more than I payed for it so should I want to sell won't lose anything (not likely to sell though), so glad I didn't get the Chr. Ward, it would be hard to sell and worth a fraction of the new price.

My next car is very unlikely to be a SEAT Cupra, shame really as they're not too bad, they just need to learn a bit from Christopher Ward.

I didn't mean for the flag logo to be the main badge, just retained for the interior and exterior details. I personally don't think SEAT need to create a sub brand. Every time I see a DS or Abarth variant I still think Citroen or FIAT and I can't imagine anyone else is fooled either. I've had a few DS hire cars and all I think is it's a Citroen DS it shares so many interior parts. Audi have RS, BMW have M, Merc have AMG, all separate brands within the brand and yet they retain the parent badge on the grill and rear.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've got Omega, Rolex and Tudor. Tudor is my favorite of the 3 because non watch people haven't got a clue what it is, watch people do.

If Cupra make an affordable and practical "hot" electric car then I will probably come back. Was chatting with a guy the other day at a Porsche event. My annual trip to Germany would take probably 3-4 hours longer in an electric car due to charging it up.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I've got Omega, Rolex and Tudor. Tudor is my favorite of the 3 because non watch people haven't got a clue what it is, watch people do.

If Cupra make an affordable and practical "hot" electric car then I will probably come back. Was chatting with a guy the other day at a Porsche event. My annual trip to Germany would take probably 3-4 hours longer in an electric car due to charging it up.
I've got a Tudor too. They do some lovely watches imo, you have good tastes ☺

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
not just any Tudor... 2018 GMT haha
The classic Pepsi colour scheme is very nice, great movement in those too I house goodness ☺ I've got the fastrider blackshield, with red details, the ceramic case sold it to me as it's different to all my other watches, just a shame it's only got the eta7750 .

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Fully expect to see a "coke" and/or "batman" Tudor GMT next year. I wanted the BB 58 as well but it offers nothing over my Omega Seamaster.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Fully expect to see a "coke" and/or "batman" Tudor GMT next year. I wanted the BB 58 as well but it offers nothing over my Omega Seamaster.
The BB58 is very nice but agree not enough separation from a Seamaster imo to justify both. I've got a OSP and an Oris Divers 65, I tend to wear the Oris more often as I got the nato strap and it's easy to adjust. Can't decide if I need a Zenith Pilot or Ulysee Nardin Marine Torpilleur....1st world problems

kevlar

Oct 23, 2018
Watch nerd alert! love this thread I was looking at CW watches early in my watch journey, you then realise that they do their 'sales' which really de value the brand and as said above when I was looking the font had changed on the watches and upset many people who had the CW watches. Then you realise the watches arent really that great and walk away.

The cupra re brand kind of make sense to me i get what they are trying to do and I think when they have their own cars not just re badged seats it will come into its own, I think the ateca as a first cupra is a brave move - I have an ateca and its a very good car, its a bit 'old man spec' as it stands so cupra version would be interesting for teh family man and dog owner like myself!.

Just ordered a seat leon cupra, and i wish it was a leon cupra more than happy to live with the new branding - I really do understand the real hardcore fans being upset by all the changes, but my personal opinion is if you dont like it dont buy it - im a long time renault sport guy, when they did the auto only clios rs it killed my interest and many other peoples love of the brand, I then looked else where, however IM sure renault sport gained lots of new buyers so what do they really care and i suspect seat have the same opinion.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As a CUPRA enthusiast for 11 years, I was hoping the new brand would bring hardcore limited editions, things like the Renault Sport R26R etc, kind of stuff that you can get on cheap lease deals.

But looks like its just going to be warm stuff not hardcore. I am interested in the electric move though.