Noisy after cambelt/ water pump change 2.0TDi

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
2.0TDi FR
Finally bit the bullet and had the cambelt and water pump changed about a month ago. Had an oil change at the same time so to keep things ticking over.

However since that I have noticed that the car seems noisier. More noticeable at low speed/ low revs. When it picks up its hard to hear the difference.
Also between 1800-2200rpm there is a noticeable flutter in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th). It almost sounds like the turbo actuator. It wasn't making this noise before the cambelt change and the turbo actuator was only changed just over a year ago.

Faults codes are none (apart from my usual suspects of tyres and lights). I went to try logging in Vcds but difficult to drive and log plus couldn't quite work out which symbols were best to log either. I remember finding something years ago but can't find the posts in the searches.

Anybody have any ideas of what could be going on??

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
Had the garage that did the cambelt check this out. They were most helpful. (Garage is David Lees in Alcester if people need anything doing).

Anyway, they had a look and confirmed that the timing was all correct after the change. Sounds like there is not a lot that can go wrong with timing when change is done as it is 'locked' in a set position.
I managed to explain the fault to them and they managed to witness it themselves (unlike a lot of stealers who fob you off!). They ran some vagcom diagnostics and established that fuel pressure demand is lower than actual fuel pressure and then by running around the car they have found out the noisy culprit to be the fuel pump.
The only thing I can think is that the cambelt change has put extra tension on a old fuel pump and is being noisier. I have read a few things about fuel pumps like this but need to look into it some more.

I'm hoping that there isn't a failure as a quick search on fuel pumps shows them as costing £600-1000 dependant on model.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Had the garage that did the cambelt check this out. They were most helpful. (Garage is David Lees in Alcester if people need anything doing).

Anyway, they had a look and confirmed that the timing was all correct after the change. Sounds like there is not a lot that can go wrong with timing when change is done as it is 'locked' in a set position.
I managed to explain the fault to them and they managed to witness it themselves (unlike a lot of stealers who fob you off!). They ran some vagcom diagnostics and established that fuel pressure demand is lower than actual fuel pressure and then by running around the car they have found out the noisy culprit to be the fuel pump.
The only thing I can think is that the cambelt change has put extra tension on a old fuel pump and is being noisier. I have read a few things about fuel pumps like this but need to look into it some more.

I'm hoping that there isn't a failure as a quick search on fuel pumps shows them as costing £600-1000 dependant on model.
Was the Cam follower renewed/checked too (or has it ever been?)

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Can you describe the noise?

The pump on the common-rail engines is known to be abit noisy IIRC.

Does that need doing on the Diesel engines?
Sorry I don't know, I missed that yours was a TDI, I had a 2.0L TFSI for 10 years and it could be an Issue with them, I used to inspect it every couple of years, but never was a problem

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
Can you describe the noise?

The pump on the common-rail engines is known to be abit noisy IIRC.

so at low revs the noise is quite gruff almost like you would get in a petrol car when the exhaust had fell off! Around 1300-1500rpm. Noticed when engine is hot and at low speeds. Any higher speed and the wind/road noise seems to hide it.

Then on acceleration (under load) in the higher gears you can get a flutter/ chatter. It is very easy to replicate this. I was noticing this around the 1800-2000rpm range but yesterday I noticed it abit lower so doesn't seem as rev specific as I thought. Its as though something is struggling to keep up with the acceleration then it clears once the turbo is up and running.

I've read that there are possibly two fuel pumps on the car. A fuel tank pick up and the high pressure one. The guy at the garage also mentioned a return pipe that has a small filter (I think that is what he said, he certainly knew a lot more than me!). If that filter has any blockages it could affect things. However he said that the fuel filters were extremely efficient at removing any debris particles. He did not take this other filter apart as it would have meant having to replace it as even if it wasn't blocked they can not be reused.

The car is still running quite well other than these noises since the cambelt change and now I know at least that there is no issue with the timing after the cambelt change.

*Just a side note. These are the noises that I hear from driving. The guys at the garage diagnosed it from under the bonnet and with it on the ramps so could hear things better and where noises were coming from. He even used a stethoscope

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.