Used FR Diesel 150 or 184bhp??

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
As per the title really. I’ve been away from SEAT for a few years and due to a change of circumstances I’m coming out of a company car (MK7.5 GolfR) and am now looking to run my own car again.

I’ll be doing approx 20k miles p.a. Mostly motorway and dual carriageway entirely at my own expense. Looking for used/nearly new partly for value but mostly because I haven’t got/don’t want to wait months for delivery.

I drove the higher powered variant a few years ago and was impressed also I spent a short stint in a job that provided me with a Golf GTD (MK7 with 184bhp) which again I enjoyed.

I’ve tried to test both power versions back to back without success although I have tested a 150bhp FR today and was impressed.

Am I missing anything, other than the power output? As the reality is that even 150bhp is plenty for my driving style and type of driving.

I felt that the 150bhp was a little noisy although without back to back testing it’s difficult to know whether the higher power version would be any different and in any event it could have been down to tyres. The car was on 17s not 18s and was certainly noisier than the GolfR which is on 19 inche Pretoria’s.

(By noise I am referring to general/road noise not engine noise-with the Golf being petrol and the Leon diesel)

Any thoughts and advice gratefully received.

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Ah so more to it then than just engine output.

I think for fundamentals like bigger brakes and more sophisticated rear suspension I’d be better off searching out a 184bhp car.

Many thanks Big Col

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
184 is a 'better package' regardless of more power, as others mentioned, bigger brakes, and independent rear suspension. As you mentioned, you will be doing motorway miles etc... Will you be getting a manual or DSG? The 150 'may' get you slightly more mpg (perhaps like 2-3 mpg) but...in the real world, not sure it would be a problem. Previously owned a 2.0TDI 150 DSG, highway runs around the NSL got me ~ 60mpg. Manual version of the 2.0TDI 150, perhaps marginally more.
If there are only 2.0TDI 150s around, you could always remap one. Should get you more mpg too!

Out of curiosity, what mpg (either tank or long term) did you get with your Golf R? 32-35mpg?

Oh, and the 184, tends to chew tyres quite quickly from the experience of most. Even the 150 left me with 5mm fronts after 10k...

Last edited:

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I test drove a 150 and 184 in the same week, and the 184 was a much stronger engine. I ended up buying the 184, which is now currently for sale in the 'seats for sale' section...

adamant

May 13, 2014
Ive owned both - a 150 + a 184 (diesel)
the 150 is a great all-rounder - and has a better MPG over the 184 and still performs very well, BUT the 184 is far more fun!!!
the gear box is more suited to the 184 (gear ratio's) in my opinion - I'd often have to change from 6th to 5th in the 150 to keep up with the flow, but in the 184 just carries on and pulls away.
my 150 had 18" wheels, though my 184 had 17" - 18" made the car feel much more settled and handled very well.

my opinion - go 184 and have some fun, if you take it easy - you'll still get late 50's+ mpg

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I regret now not going for a 184 due to the extra oomph. I find the 150 lacking somewhat. Next on the agenda is to get a DTUK box for my 2016 150 or remap. It feels so dead compared to my Mk2 Cupra Stage 2

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
This one can only come down to whether you value cost or performance more. The 184 will definitely be the better performer, with more torque, more power, bigger brakes and independent rear suspension. On the other hand, it'll almost certainly cost more to buy, more to fuel, more to insure. Depending on the sort of driving you do, 90% of the time you may not tell the difference between them. As others have said, the noise difference is more likely to be wheel and/or tyre related.

From what you've described, the 150 is actually likely to be the better fit but you may regret it when a Golf GTD tries a sneaky overtake manoeuvre and you're powerless to stop them :D

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Have test driven the 150 Diesel Ateca and granted its a heavier car than the Leon it felt massively under powered compared to the 184. Can imagine that driving it everyday would become quite a chore especially if you are on a busy motorway and need to perform overtakes etc...

It put me off that setup permanently to be honest, its not worth the few extra mpg you might get

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Great advice from everyone. It seems like a bit of a no brainier then to go for the 184. The bigger brakes and more sophisticated rear suspension appeals to me and the extra power is the icing on the cake.

I've always had manual transmission cars in the past although the GolfR is dsg and I have to say that I love it. I won't rule out a manual although the dsg is my preference only problem I have there is that the latest 7 speed dsg I have in the Golf feels head and shoulders above any other VAG dsg I've driven and in particular the 6 speed unit in the Leon.

Nickbrapp

Apr 16, 2018
LPCpfKVDUAyQwa1u1z0pO4XcXRXJ3bXJCAWQyYc6ZoWwlYfoZxtBPnnoSlZoG8JSg1VxBnwciKeRpvjTofx1XdQWj9Mry5RmW9ex4wiT6L7GXUNhwFJ4CkgxyRtmQwY-bVTVLTn8A0g9cyb75IyyzlQ9mJJwBXKqEA0UF-qIAp8bM8WR2Gg0FY9xQ3LyhIswZ11pkHVbTrc9pdYnFcROEuh9pXm6XMRurDLF5Tb9nilLGF6N709QAkyQrYFjBKhXX-kYXFSLZ0M6UwO838vILDxZBLeds4Q7DDqBAsL4CxydRaNHKDOemTbuCUGky4i52diAHncNqourTWrwxtyaThZXafFe0CrqqAbwjNeneVeCWuLmYjaNUYFLBI18lnW6R0lYkyAs40zvSFjHF_6BS68Y5xeLzdnqKp07x39aP0vzCyfQyB2ly5rXEbEOVNkf02RC8Tw5A6FzHINb3X9imG9LYBSnSyyrFQbo3IogJj8XzE3vJWxiNlfPEM5g3ZVlzJERMpQ7hlZ9sZjyn61oB4HNj2DPgKQDLyrzv7H0ypLOGL3bTmKwGXk9z3MYNjktj7Y-qlIflzLgDA4BUAQGQB6uOEVM7-1JiBaocw89MnpUdDDzOHqM6c83CkdDfhWybMoDejKgL20PMeONJaGk1lE=w811-h608-no

this is mine, sadly up for sale now! 184 dsg

adstalker

Nov 5, 2010
Darlington
Out of curiosity, what is your budget? Like you, I do high annual miles (circa 25k). I've recently changed from the 184FR manual (given it to the wife to run for the next four years) to the Golf MK7.5 GTD DSG. I loved the FR, the way it drove and handled and have had four years of trouble free enjoyment out if it, but I have to say that the Golf feels a slightly more planted car on the road. On a 60 mile daily roundtrip commute, predominantly on Motorway, in the FR I got high 50's mpg, with a tank average (brim to brim calculation) of circa 53mpg.

As you have mentioned that in the past you have driven a MK7 GTD, have you though about looking to get a second hand MK7.5 GTD? It has the new 7 speed DSG and will be very similar to the R to drive (lack of power bing the noticeable difference).

AS23

Jun 2, 2018
What is the reliability like on both these engines and the models in general? Thinking of getting an ST as a family car - my last Seat was a good few years back, MK2 Cupra on a stage 2+

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Out of curiosity, what is your budget? Like you, I do high annual miles (circa 25k). I've recently changed from the 184FR manual (given it to the wife to run for the next four years) to the Golf MK7.5 GTD DSG. I loved the FR, the way it drove and handled and have had four years of trouble free enjoyment out if it, but I have to say that the Golf feels a slightly more planted car on the road. On a 60 mile daily roundtrip commute, predominantly on Motorway, in the FR I got high 50's mpg, with a tank average (brim to brim calculation) of circa 53mpg.

As you have mentioned that in the past you have driven a MK7 GTD, have you though about looking to get a second hand MK7.5 GTD? It has the new 7 speed DSG and will be very similar to the R to drive (lack of power bing the noticeable difference).

As much as I respect the Golf I prefer the looks of the Leon.

I'm pretty much settled on a Leon FR 184 dsg and probably a tuning box. I've had good results with a DTUK box in the past so may well go that route again.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise