To those of you with a 2019 Cupra... how is the DSG7 box?

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Hi chaps and chapesses. As the title says, I am wondering how, for those who just got a 2019 Cupra 300, the DSG7 DQ381 gearbox is? General thoughts and feelings in terms of:
  • Acceleration and smoothness of shifting?
  • Motorway cruising sound and shifting (does it shift fro 7 to 5 an inopportune times if you let your foot off the accelerator)?
  • Any quirks in general?
Cheers for any feedback,

Rich. :)

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
I've never had a dsg before so don't have anything to compare it to but it's very smooth. I've not done many miles yet but my experience so far is.

It kinda feels like there's 3 levels of acceleration depending on how hard you put your foot down. Put your foot hard down to the floor and it will red line and change up but most of the time it will keep high gear. There's so much torque it doesn't matter what gear your in.

The changes are so smooth you barely notice them when driving sensibly. Not really had a problem with delay response.

I personally think if you wanna drive it down a twisty road fast your gonna want the gearbox in manual.

vmark89

Mark Brown
Sep 10, 2012
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire
Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else? :)

Hi Mate,

I don't have the Cupra 300 but I do believe that DSG Model is in my 2.0 TSI 190 so can speak of how it is within the car.

Very Smooth for shifting overall and quick as well don't tend to find it hesitating.

In Standard Drive mode it nails the shifts when I'm expecting them to change obviously based on pressure of my right foot at the time.

But like @ramborobert mentioned it has sort of a 3 phase setup of pressure.

Sport mode tends to hang onto the gearing and tries to keep it in the power band from what I can see but its a bit aggressive for all day, day to day.

Manual Mode is the one I tend to use day to day as it gives me more control and is especially good for when you want to have a boot around country roads etc

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
I'd be interested to find out what the mph/1000rpm figure is in 7th. Love my 290 DSG but could easily manage lower rpm at a motorway cruise without affecting acceleration too much.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
I can't find any figures published for the ratio's of the Leon's DSG - but the VW/Audi the 7th gear is overdrive and does 34mph/1000rpm, so just over 2000rpm at 70mph.

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
Thanks, keeping the engine below 2.5k even on a spirited motorway run sounds like progress!

r@d00

Oct 18, 2018
Bucharest, Romania
Based on the info available at seat.com about DQ381and info found in an older Leon brochure about DQ250 ratios, I put together the following table:
DQ381.png

It shows that gears I-III are very close (with DQ381 being just a little bit shorter) and gears IV-VI are identical. I was quite surprised by that, I was expecting DQ381 to be shorter for gears I-VI, with VII being a little above VI from DQ250...

The speed for 7th gear 1000rpm is 55.9/1.609=34.7 mph, which is in line with the value given two posts above.

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
Giving absolute maxima of:
1: 36 35
2: 58 56
3: 82 81
4: 109 109
5: 143 143
6: 155 155
7: NA 155

Both assuming a rev limit of 6,700 which seems accurate from my own car and intervention of the speed limiter at 155 mph which, of course, i couldn't comment on.

Thanks, really useful information!

Nick Woods

Aug 23, 2018
UK - Midlands
I must say im very happy with my 7 speed DSG in my 2 week old Cupra (290) - Frankencupra.....

its incredibly smooth in standard drive, and ready to go in S mode... with the roads being damp, in S mode foot to the floor tends to = wheel spin when travelling below 70mph (which we obviously should be ..... ;))

The only other DSG i drove was in a Fabia VRS, and that was great.... this is even better. The only time ive hit 7th gear is crusiing at 65/70mph in drive mode.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise