Mk3 Leon st subwoofer wiring

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
hi all, I’m very new here. I’ve just bagged myself a Leon FR estate and instantly feel the need to fit a subwoofer. Would anyone be kind enough to share experiences with power cable routing and also hi-low converter wires ie where’s best to splice into the rear speaker wires and what colour wires to splice!

Thanks in advance.

Oh and if anyone knows one of them cool vagcom guys in Coventry hook me up with their details!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
hi all, I’m very new here. I’ve just bagged myself a Leon FR estate and instantly feel the need to fit a subwoofer. Would anyone be kind enough to share experiences with power cable routing and also hi-low converter wires ie where’s best to splice into the rear speaker wires and what colour wires to splice!

Thanks in advance.

Oh and if anyone knows one of them cool vagcom guys in Coventry hook me up with their details!

Someone on the Seat Sound retro fit thread has done it with under Seat subs. :)

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
I actually put a hi-flo converter into the back of the headunit in the glove box straight into the loom, i have a diagram somewhere i'll have a look for it, and then tucked it away behind so you'd never know it was there, But as yours is an estate probably a better idea to tap into a rear speaker.

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
I actually put a hi-flo converter into the back of the headunit in the glove box straight into the loom, i have a diagram somewhere i'll have a look for it, and then tucked it away behind so you'd never know it was there, But as yours is an estate probably a better idea to tap into a rear speaker.
Was thinking that tbh. But can’t seem to find a wiring diagram to tap into the right wires. Will probably go from behind the head unit. Or do some more digging

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
Was thinking that tbh. But can’t seem to find a wiring diagram to tap into the right wires. Will probably go from behind the head unit. Or do some more digging
Although. Cba removing head units, going from a speaker wire between front and rear doors would be way more ideal

HiTnRuN

Nov 3, 2018

Hi mate,
I am looking to do the exact same but i want to be certain of the wiring before I do anything. Any chance you still have that diagram?
Cheers

Reactions: Damo H

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
This is the pin diagram for the big black plug on the back of unit in glove box.... The circled pins are the tweeters... Door speakers are on the right of that...

a1f35d6c3d78daf2a325a9a9fdd82e7e.jpg

When I installed my 2 underseat subs, I tapped off the front door speakers... Left door speaker to left sub, right door speaker to right sub..These subs take both high level and low level inputs.

f326e8ea83ce63099e5064b438801887.jpg

Simple subs made a huge difference in sound.....These Kenwoods are perfect size. They won't blow out the back window, but there's enough base to vibrate the rear view mirror...

Last edited:

HiTnRuN

Nov 3, 2018
This is the pin diagram for the big black plug on the back of unit in glove box.... The circled pins are the tweeters... Door speakers are on the right of that...

When I installed my 2 underseat subs, I tapped off the front door speakers... Left door speaker to left sub, right door speaker to right sub..

Simple subs made a huge difference in sound.....

Those look really tidy mate, fits well and hidden! I went for an old school 12" vibe all in 1 unit, had it from 10 years ago! The speakers sound ok but are missing that kick, i think it will make all the difference!

I've ordered all the bits and bobs, i am going to use scotch lock wire connectors to speed up and make the job easier, also ordered the hi low converter, went for the vibe one because it does the remote switch too but I think it may also need a power source too?

Which of the above connections would be the correct source for power?

Last edited:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Thanks mate.

I am looking to install a sub too, speakers sound ok but are missing that kick. I've ordered all the bits and bobs, i am going to use scotch lock wire connectors to speed up and make the job easier, also ordered the hi low converter, went for the vibe one because it does the remote switch too but I think it may also need a power source too?

Which of the above connections would be the correct source for power?
I only got my speaker inputs from the pins above...

I tapped off of the main cable from the battery inside the cabin under the dash....This is the main 12v feed from battery. So I see no point in trying to fight my way through the bulkhead....

33cf74f0c601fe3aa75ada4d81d9fb15.jpg
d20178396d2cd15f74a7e4cd290e5cfb.jpg
ca20b874f973d668b09e4be1258a027a.jpg

The yellow power to amp is zipped tied to aid in stress relief and obviously taped up to protect it.

The remote I tapped off the 12 cig lighter... Ignition 12v.

b719a2be03d8ef50936a2b709021698b.jpg

Fuse 20A using a splice fuse...

2de946cf4a3ba1c3f9b6fc46fab8364b.jpg

HiTnRuN

Nov 3, 2018

When I installed my 2 underseat subs, I tapped off the front door speakers... Left door speaker to left sub, right door speaker to right sub..These subs take both high level and low level inputs.

I received my converter but i am unsure which wires from the above diagram for the glove box unit to connect to the converter.

20181112_190938_HDR.jpg

Yellow: +12V DC input
Black: Ground
Blue: +12V DC output

Which wires in the diagram would i connect to the above wires for the converter?The speakers are obvious and not as ambiguous.

Routing the cables is easy, i have the scotch quick connects which also save time and helps so i would much rather do this my self rather than spend money, only the above is hindering.

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!

Cheers

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
The yellow is your 12v input say from ignition or any 12v switched feed.

Don't do it direct from battery otherwise your converter will always be on and so will your amp/s.....even when you lock and leave the car resulting in dead battery.

The black is a simple earth.

The blue wire is a 12v output. This is your remote wire going to your amp. This automatically turns on the amp as soon as your converter receives a 12v input from the switched ignition....

I would probably tap my ignition 12v (yellow) from the cigerette lighter and just earth the black wire to nearest convenient bolt or screw.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiTnRuN and Walone

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004

f326e8ea83ce63099e5064b438801887.jpg

Simple subs made a huge difference in sound.....These Kenwoods are perfect size. They won't blow out the back window, but there's enough base to vibrate the rear view mirror...
I take it this is under the front seats? Do you feel it through the seat?

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I take it this is under the front seats? Do you feel it through the seat?

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Yes. I have 1 under both of the front seats. Personally I find it gives great additional bass.. Yes, on certain songs you feel it through the seat and on the legs. Vibrates the rear view mirror too..
Don't get me wrong though, it's nothing like having a full sized 10" or 12" sub in the boot...
But I value boot space over bass, so this is my only other option.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Yes. I have 1 under both of the front seats. Personally I find it gives great additional bass.. Yes, on certain songs you feel it through the seat and on the legs. Vibrates the rear view mirror too..
Don't get me wrong though, it's nothing like having a full sized 10" or 12" sub in the boot...
But I value boot space over bass, so this is my only other option.

Just ordered a Kenwood under seat sub like yours. Also got a hi low converter. I haven't wired a sub/amp up in years. From the info in this thread, i just need a power input to the converter/sub, an earth, and 4 feeds from the front/rear speakers? Do I need a remote/what is a remote again?
Cheers

Sep 12, 2019
Just ordered a Kenwood under seat sub like yours. Also got a hi low converter. I haven't wired a sub/amp up in years. From the info in this thread, i just need a power input to the converter/sub, an earth, and 4 feeds from the front/rear speakers? Do I need a remote/what is a remote again?
Cheers
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but did anyone get this done, and if they did, where did you ground the sub/amp? Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but did anyone get this done, and if they did, where did you ground the sub/amp? Cheers

I fitted one, I used the earth point in the passenger door sill under the plastic cover

Sep 12, 2019
I fitted one, I used the earth point in the passenger door sill under the plastic cover
Ok thank you, I will have a look at this when I'm back home, am hoping to get one fitted with no problems, but I doubt this will happen smoothly!

Does it help a lot with the sound? Is it worth it?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.