Varying power.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys,
My fr184 2014 seems to have a mind if it’s own regarding deliver of power. It’s always in sport mode but it drives like it’s really sluggish at one point during the day, then it’s absolutely fine later on. On the days when’s it’s acting up I have to pop it out of sport mode into normal, then back into sport mode for it to behave normally.
Anyone had the same issue? How did you deal with it? Any pointers?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Are you sure its not doing a regen of the DPF on the days it feels off ?
When it feels off - try stopping and let the engine idle - see if it sits around 1100rpm rather than the normal 800rpm

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
It’s not doing a regen, prime example was this morning, it was pretty sluggish, it was idling at 8000rpm, drove the car an hour later and it was absolutely fine.

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
I'm pretty sure after every ignition cycle you have to press the sport mode button again to make it have an effect. That's how it seems to be in my '14 184 anyway

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I'm pretty sure after every ignition cycle you have to press the sport mode button again to make it have an effect. That's how it seems to be in my '14 184 anyway

I had heard this too from others on here and think I read it in the handbook too but it doesn't appear to apply to my facelift as that stays the same. It's sluggish on cold start but think they all do that to protect the engine when cold. Once warmed up she's fine. Mines petrol though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

leonfr184

Mar 30, 2017
What does regen of the dpf mean sometimes my fr184 diesel ticks over at 1100 rpm and some days it’s 800rpm

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
It’s not doing a regen, prime example was this morning, it was pretty sluggish, it was idling at 8000rpm, drove the car an hour later and it was absolutely fine.

If it's idling at 8000 rpm something is wrong... it's not an F1 engine! ;)

Reactions: LouG

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
But I nail mine all the time

Unfortunately - the old fashioned "Italian Tune up" does not work when a DPF is fitted.
All you do is put more soot in to the DPF.
A steady run above 40mph - engine revs around 2000 to 2500 - low fuel light not on - is the fastest way to do a regen

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've always driven petrol but the old man (mechanic) says that a when diesels are driven nothing but door to door a lot this can happen. A good blast down the motorway could be a quick fix?

rejdzik

Sep 22, 2018
Hi guys,
My fr184 2014 seems to have a mind if it’s own regarding deliver of power. It’s always in sport mode but it drives like it’s really sluggish at one point during the day, then it’s absolutely fine later on. On the days when’s it’s acting up I have to pop it out of sport mode into normal, then back into sport mode for it to behave normally.
Anyone had the same issue? How did you deal with it? Any pointers?

Thanks guys.

My fr150 started to do same. Its 55k mi old.
I was wondering...is there any chance of EGR valve stuck open, then not fully boost is given? After few revs and rapid accelerations its fine but after few miles it is not as responsive and capable to give full torque out... I have seen many stories about EGR in latest CR TDIs online.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My Ibiza FR is similar and that's a totally different car and engine. My guess is that the ecu adapts to the way the car is driven. If you are driving sensibly most of the time it can be caught napping when you want some thrills. I could be wrong, it's just a guess, but your right foot is not in control any more, a cheap computer is.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
My Ibiza FR is similar and that's a totally different car and engine. My guess is that the ecu adapts to the way the car is driven. If you are driving sensibly most of the time it can be caught napping when you want some thrills. I could be wrong, it's just a guess, but your right foot is not in control any more, a cheap computer is.
You could be right: Not a SEAT, but my old 3 series employed 'fuzzy logic' in the gearbox ecu (and maybe the engine ecu also). If you drove like a granny, it decided that you wanted early change ups and a soft throttle response. There was even routine to clear the 'grannyness' and make the thing drive properly.
So much for technology:no:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If I've been driving sedately, which is most of the time to be honest, and I decide to overtake I can be caught by surprize when the engine doesn't seem to do much. The only way I've found to promote a good response is to put the pedal all the way to the floor. For an old driver though that is counter-intuitive and I usually don't remember to do it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.