K04 Boost pressure

Frowson

I had my Cupra R remapped by Jabba back in March. At the time I asked them what boost it was running (as I didn't have a boost controller fitted), and they replied saying it overboosted to 1.6 bar, dropping down through the rev range to 1.45 and then 1.1 at 6000rpm.
Now at the time I thought these figures seemed a little high as my research suggested the maximum pressure the KO4 turbo will take is 1.3 bar. Today I borrowed a boost guage from a mate and wired it up. This clearly showed that not only is the boost spiking at 1.6bar, it is holding it all the way through from 3000 to about 4500rpm. This was a surprise and a little concerning to be honest.

My question is whether anyone knows or can point me in the direction of someone who knows what the definate maximum pressure these turbos can take without any problems is

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
max pressure that the ECU can manage & measure is 1.55bar, so if it's seeing 1.6 bar, the ecu doesn't know it is.

most cars run 1.55bar spike, tailling off

consider that the boost guage isn't accurate too.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I'm sure they all spike over 1.55bar, there's no way that the boost exactly follows the line that you get when you log it - the flat line graph.

May 2, 2006
im thinking of upgrading to this turbo

is it capable of 270bhp with injectors??? (its what my aims are , to be 270+bhp)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
if your concerned give jabba a call. doubt they would be happy if its not running right and they mapped it.

im sure its fine but a call should settle your fears

Shock_Xe

David_smith_909 said:
im thinking of upgrading to this turbo

is it capable of 270bhp with injectors??? (its what my aims are , to be 270+bhp)

depends on what vairant u use and what other mods u put with it and how hard you want to run the turbo

May 2, 2006
dont know what varient it is, its the one at awesome-gti if that helps ?????

am also looking at your AM04 stage 2 kit but still waiting to see if awesome can fit and map it, also still waiting on results, "cough cough"

will be using injectors and bigger inlet manni, dont know about boost though ????

Shock_Xe

David_smith_909 said:
dont know what varient it is, its the one at awesome-gti if that helps ?????

am also looking at your AM04 stage 2 kit but still waiting to see if awesome can fit and map it, also still waiting on results, "cough cough"

will be using injectors and bigger inlet manni, dont know about boost though ????

the stage 1 am04 would wipe the floor with the k04-01, my k03s ran similar power, stage 2 should be even better considering i ran 275/280lbs without largeport manni and flowed housings

Shock_Xe

David_smith_909 said:
can you pm me the prices please mate for you stage 2 then?

any results to compare stage 1 & 2 also?

stage 1 results are in our section with dyno, stage 2 results to come, waiting for jabbasport as they are v.busy but results can only be better

ill reply to your e-mail

May 2, 2006
Shock_Xe said:
stage 1 results are in our section with dyno, stage 2 results to come, waiting for jabbasport as they are v.busy but results can only be better

ill reply to your e-mail

i have emailed you mate requesting some info

GunProCol

Nov 5, 2018
I have the same problem with a Cupra R 2011 remaped by apr. My turbo is behaving strangely in the range of 3,000 to 5,000 rpm the turbo is at about 17 to 18 psi and then after 5,000 rpm jumps right into 22 psi. Maybe the boost gauge is bad or the Turbo or the wastegate I certainly don’t know. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.